1. twindtrout9783

OP twindtrout9783 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong thread)

I want to download a program called SteamEMU which supposedly allows me to initialize steam games without steam being open. First of all, would it be legal for me to do this, as it bypasses the DRM.

I want to do this so that my brother and I can both play in terraria, as only I own the game. (We share our games with eachother, so he has access to my games, and I have access to his.)
    [​IMG]

2. dAVID_

dAVID_ Electrician's Apprentice

Mexico
    Whether or not it would be ethical depends on who you ask. I'd be fine with it.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Did everybody and their mother play LAN games on a single CD key/cracked copy back in the day?
    Oh you bet they did.

Legal. Meh.

Ethical. Spend any time on flash cart/emulation forums and you will soon encounter the "as long as nobody else plays the cart at the same time as you then all good". In more legal parlance that would be against the right for only the owner to create new copies of a work.

Curveball? Do any versions allow local co-op?

Ryccardo likes this.
  4. twindtrout9783

OP twindtrout9783 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Well then I would consider it ethical. After all, it's still a legal copy.
    Co-op as in splitscreen? No. LAN? Yes.

Last edited by twindtrout9783, Apr 4, 2020
  5. dicamarques

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Portugal
    I would recomend getting a terraria version from GOG, it has no DRM. Just setup a server on your pc and let your brother connect to it

6. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I would not even care of its ethical or not. You ever walk across the road not at a cross walk? well guess what, you just broke the law its called J-walking. See how stupid some laws are. Go ahead and bypass their shit drm you are not gonna go to hell. Now you might go to hell if you call chuck Norris weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - multiplayer, SteamEMU, ethical