Would in theory be possible to use a Wii U Controller Pro in the vWii menu?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by pustal, Jun 22, 2016.

1. pustal
    OP

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    I ask this because it emulates a Wiimote both in the Wii U menu and USBLoaderGX.

Would it be possible to patch the vWii system menu to use it as well?

2. IAmLeggings

IAmLeggings Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2015
    United States
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm no expert on the wiiu, but I do know that we never patched in gamecube controller support to the main wii menu because it was too complex. So based on what I do know about the vwii, I'd say chances are slim at best.

pustal likes this.
  3. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    Adelaide, South Australia
    We could, theoretically, with CFW that mods the Wii Menu launcher. :P
    That, however, would require @smealum's iosuhax along with an exploit.

4. pustal
    OP

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    I think you are confusing things. The vWii system menu is perfectly accessible and overwritable. Ou don't need a iOSU exploit to access it. It's installed as a vWii iOS. Tye question is, how hardcoded is the Wiimote to it.

CreeperMario likes this.
  5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    first someone would need to even do a small push to add it to the wii games and homebrew since even on homebrew there is like 4 or 5 emulator mods that support it but thats about it.

Last edited by pedro702, Jun 22, 2016
  6. pustal
    OP

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    ยด
    I'd be happy with just system menu support, that way at least I could get to USBLoaderGX without changing remotes. If I'd play a GameCube game, all the merrier.

7. CJB100

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    For now, the best that will happen is I will try and add gamecube controller support to FIX94's mods of the emulators which added Wii U Pro Controller support. I doubt it will ever get integrated into the vWii System Menu itself.

pustal likes this.
  8. pustal
    OP

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    Alright, thank you.

9. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Well, SNES9x GX, FCEUGX, VBAGX, mGBA, WiiSXR and Not64 already support Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller, Wiimote and GCN pad, only USB controllers are missing for now. Are you talking about any other emulator without Gamecube controller support?

10. CJB100

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    vWii emulators have Wii U Pro Controller support thanks to FIX 94, but as far as I am aware, they Gamecube controller won't work on them on the vWii because there is no USB Controller detection, and obviously you can't plug in your gamecube controller directly into the Wii U.

11. niuus

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Ahhhh, so you were talking about the Nintendo GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U... that would be nice. The only homebrew that i know of with support for the adapter, is Nintendont. Maybe that could be used as an example.

CJB100 likes this.
  12. CJB100

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Looking into it. But it's way more complicated than I thought on the Nintendon't side of things. Once I understand the implementation in Nintendon't, getting that over to the emulators should be a piece of cake. I've never been one to be able to read through lines of code and quickly understand what's happening, though. So understanding how it works in Nintendon't is going to take a while.

niuus likes this.
  13. niuus

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Sounds pretty cool, and definitely a welcome addition. So, you'd like to implement USB joystick support in the long run? That would enable DS3 and DS4 to work without using another build.

14. Maxbeta

Maxbeta GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2014
    United States
    Excuse me for asking in the wrong place but where can I get that specific build for Not64 supporting the WiiUPro? Is that official or a mod? Sorry, I've searched high and low and couldn't find it.

15. niuus

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Just a quick googling would have gave you this result:
    https://github.com/Extrems/Not64/releases

Use the newestt release, and that's about it.

16. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    If the Wii U's vWii is a Wii Emulator, it is possible. (With IOSU perms, for sure)

But if it is not emulating, but just launching vWii using "Wii U" CPU/GPU it will not be possible.

17. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    Good News boyys :

vWii is a system title so, once we get IOSU permission we might be able to create Custom Firmware for vWii, so, like it should be in C code, adding Wii U Pro Controller support shouldn't be that hard, i think, i hope xD

CJB100 and CreeperMario like this.
  18. Maxbeta

Maxbeta GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2014
    United States
    Ok. I've been using that build since April when it released and it does not support the Wii U Pro Controller like you stated previously a while back.

Have you played a recent build or mod that does or was it just something your read or heard somewhere? Not trying to start shit with you or call you a liar man.

I'm just trying to find an actual Not64 build that does indeed support that controller and I've only read it from you.

19. CJB100

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Not64 does not support it. Check the emulators in @FIX94's sig.

20. Maxbeta

Maxbeta GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2014
    United States
    That's what I thought. Thanks for pointing to the author of these recent WiiUPro builds.