Question Would anyone like to see Xenoverse 2 Mods on the Switch Version?

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by DualBladedKirito, Jun 16, 2018.

1. DualBladedKirito
    OP

DualBladedKirito The Black Swordsman

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Meant for this to be a discussion whoops. Aaanyway

Q1. As the title suggests, would you like to see this happen?

Q2. And,would you think it possible, or too difficult to port existing mods over?

A1. I for one would love it! Offline ofc, as using mods online with someone who doesn't have your mods causes desyncs and crashes. (My experience with the pc version at least. So online was mostly Vanilla anyway.)

A2. I have no idea on this one lol.

Last edited by DualBladedKirito, Jun 16, 2018
    huskymodz likes this.
  2. supermariorick

supermariorick GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    yes please

3. Kalisto

Kalisto Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Germany
    I am currently attempting it. Once I can confirm mods working i will post a tutorial on it.

huskymodz likes this.
  4. leerpsp

leerpsp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 22, 2014
    United States
    yes

5. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Yes! I wanna use all the pc mods if that’s possible in time. There’s some character mash ups I would love to use on a portable system

6. Kalisto

Kalisto Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Germany
    Currently from what i have gathered in the last hour or so. You can extract Data.cpk from the RomFS.bin you get. So you should be able to make changes to Data.cpk(All files are in only data.cpk. data1.cpk and data2.cpk contain only dummy.dat files on the switch version)

I'm going to attempt to edit the shop but right now it crashes on me. (I would imagine the lack of HC in the base game has something to do with it.)
    if someone wants to post a simple character mod that doesn't require X2m i will attempt to install and if it goes good i will write up a tutorial on how to use layeredFS to do XV2 mods on switch.

huskymodz likes this.
  7. huskymodz

huskymodz Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2018
    United States
    maybe try a model swap? although that might take awhile.

8. DualBladedKirito
    OP

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Try this one here

9. Kalisto

Kalisto Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Germany
    Got them working. WIll upload a tutorial

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Attached Files:

10. DualBladedKirito
    OP

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Yes! Looking forward to it!

11. jaimy7b

jaimy7b Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    Yea men

12. supermariorick
    This message by supermariorick has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 18, 2018, Reason: Dupe.
    Jun 27, 2018
  13. supermariorick

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    you can view the data.cpk in Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 CPK explorer and view all the files so you dont have to extract them all at once and then you can edit the CriPakTools extraction batch script from the Xenoverse tools to target specific files for extracting them. Currently I am still trying to figure out how to edit the super souls database file and then a way to repack it and get the game to read it without repacking the entire 6+ gigabyte data.cpk archive. supposedly the dummy data1 and data2 cpk files can be used for this but so far only cosmetic mods have worked. perhaps stuff like the super souls file have shifted memory addresses from the PC version and only by comparing data between an original unedited super souls file and an edited super souls file and finding the data that is different in a hex editor then looking in an original super souls file and finding where the super soul data for one super soul is in the file in the hex editor and copying and pasting the changes to the equivalent shifted memory is probably the only way to edit it until a tool is made that accounts for the shift in memory addresses. then attempt to get the mod running by repacking in a "dummy" data1 cpk file that would get read.

As you can see, research is still being done to attempt to get this working.

I suppose the ideal way to make this work is to make a mod loader from scratch based on the deprecated Super Mario Odyssey exefs mod loader except also based on the PC version xv2 patcher that loads mods from data.cpk then swaps out files a lot like LayeredFS but also with the ability to add extra character slots in the roster and have character mods load from them. with LayeredFS's limits and having to repack cpks for mods it gets inconvenient like the PC version used to be and all that can be done to make it easier is making a specialized mod loader like on PC. unfortunately LayeredFS doesnt do everything except general romfs and exefs file replacement mods and doesn't account for files inside archives without requiring an entire archive.

14. Kalisto

Kalisto Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Germany
    That would explain why unlocking all skills in the shop
    and modded Super Souls will crash the game. I did the add all items to shop but i didn't repack into data, just into data1.
    The tools for DBXV2 all have source code included. So if the changes made were narrowed down we could update the tools for the switch version

15. supermariorick

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    yeah that's the idea. too bad I don't have the know how to do any of that lmao. My research with a hex editor and the game files is all I could do. At least we know the files are different but not by all that much so we know it is possible.

16. Kalisto

Kalisto Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Germany
    Do you have a discord. I have the programming knowledge. But my skills with reverse engineering is lacking. Shoot me a pm with your discord, maybe we can make something happen.

17. Chipidy

Chipidy GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    Chipidy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 14, 2018
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    I would! But Skyrim first lol

18. kozi

kozi Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Belgium
    maybe i can help you on discord. i use to make mods on xenoverse 1 pc & ps3

19. supermariorick

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    not much of a point until we can dump game files that account for game updates lmao

alright apparently there's already a few ways to get game updates on your PC but it requires getting your SD encryption seed. unfortunately hacdiskmount only works on 64 bit Windows and I have 32 bit windows. there's currently an alternative tool out there for Windows 32 bit, Linux, and Mac OS however setting it up requires development building tools for your OS and python3. Higher chance to get it working if you have Linux. unfortunately 32 bit Windows is still missing proper known development building tools for making the setup of the tool actually work. it uses the FUSE filesystem to mount the Switch filesystem along with the relevant FUSE tools for your operating system (Winfsp for Windows for example.

as long as you have that SD encryption seed you can decrypt game updates straight from your SD card and dump and examine them. the only other alternative is using those new CDN downloader tools on the PC instead however from what I've seen no one has bothered sharing titlekeys from game updates and to get your own requires once again the SD encrytion seed.

Last edited by supermariorick, Jul 4, 2018
  20. Kalf2112

Kalf2112 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm new to all this. It looks very promising but I cannot follow that tutorial at all. So confusing for me haha. Nice work though!