Gaming Would a Xecuter 360 Blaster CK3 allow me to mod any lite-on?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The troublesome part with every 360 drive is dumping the keys from it, indeed if it was not for the keys then flashing a 360 drive would be trivial and just require a compatible sata port (on that matter the liteon is quite accepting of sata ports so it is worth trying yours, if not via 6421 cards can be found in many places). Still keys do exist so

There are 3 main versions of liteon when it comes to modding them (and not that it is relevant several sub versions of those)
7 series
8v1- these started appearing in June 2009
8v2 and 9 series- we saw these in October 2009 from repair shops (retail will probably be a bit later)
There would be a fourth from the new slim 360 and while work has gone on there are no working methods at this point in time.
On the subject of times if you have a machine built before mid June 2009 and not updated since August the 11th 2009 you can JTAG hack it which is well worth doing (not to mention you can dump your DVD keys with that instead of messing around with probes). If you have updated there is nothing you can do but if you do have the ability then https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_186pp2zddm (a bit outdated but covers enough to get you up to speed).

7 series can be done with that probe/kit, do note you can build your own http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=668247 and others slice up USB to serial cables (phone cables being a good source) making total cost $10 at most.

8v1 can be done with just a sata hookup to your machine (there was a bug that allowed the keys to be decrypted introduced when they fixed the v7)

8v2 and 9 series need a cut trace/lifted pin method (you can use some wire or you can buy a pcb mod: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/xecute...ed-version.html or you will need another probe (as well as that original kit or if you prefer just the base unit to power the drive), from the site you linked http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/produc...=270&page=1 will sort it. As mentioned though you can do this with a few switches and some solder too if you want.
Cutting the traces (and repairing them) and possibly soldering can be difficult if you are not well versed in it all.
If you are so inclined you can mod any of the liteon drives using this cut trace method.

Several companies do flashing kits and they are all as good as each other really (the devices are very simple after all).

As for modchipcentral- if they work they work but if something goes wrong then do try to resolve your issue with them but one or two people have had serious issues over the course of things so you may well be filling up this forum section with several expletives.

pwn3d91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, wow, thank you for such a detailed and helpful response, you don't see that often!
smile.gif

I was never interested in JTagging (I heard you can never go online with a JTagged console) and I've never soldered anything before.

Also, is there anyway to tell when my 360 was manufactured? I bought it used. I usually always just got the BenQ drive, but I guess those are pretty rare now.

Anywho! All I want to know is how can I figure out what drive I have? When it was manufactured etc?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So save me googling, Fast are those dates you mention the dates from the top of drives or teh dates from the back of the console?

Do the 83850Cv2 drives explictly have 83850Cv2 on the label or do you need to attempt to dump the firmware to find out if it's V1 or V2?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back of the console dates (or if you sent your box into a repair shop in a similar timeframe- this is where these things are usually first seen coming from). They are just above the video ports- you can even see them when the thing is still in the retail box.

As for the 8v1 and 8v2 thing you have to try it and see (I am not sure about internal versioning although as it was essentially a firmware update there was not much lag in it happening- it has been suggested on several occasions that the v2 was what would become the 9 series but without the sticker).

As for not JTAG hacking if you still can (much less actually do it all) I will guarantee you will find any number of people willing to do a straight swap for a new DVD hacked system (or buy it off you for over the odds on the price of a new arcade). Similarly liteon probably means Jasper motherboard and a JTAG hacked Jasper is probably the most sought after 360 version (dev kits aside perhaps).

pwn3d91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so mine says June 16, 2009 that means I have an 8v1 right?

Does that mean all I need is a SATA connection to flash it? (I'm probably misunderstanging your statement, but if this is fact, I'm going to be very happy.)

To be more clear: Since it's an 8v1, is it possible to mod it with the ease of the BenQ meaning all I need to do is hook it up to SATA and use Jungle Flasher?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
50/50- it might still be a 7 series if you got it from retail and it is very very unlikely to be a 8v2. Open up the 360 and it will have fw ver and 83450c (or something along those lines- the key number is the 8 it starts with) somewhere on the bottom of the DVD drive label.

If it is an 8v1 then yes you can do it all from just sata, no pulling apart the drive and using a probe, no cutting traces, no soldering needed. The hardest part vs say an old benq (which you probably do not even have to do these days) is run an extra decryption on the firmware dump to get the keys from it but that is just an extra step rather than anything complex.

As for JTAG even if you had not updated it then chances are it would have come "updated" (albeit not in number on the dash) from the factory.

pwn3d91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I ended up having the 74850c drive, so I ordered an Xecuter CK3 Probe v2 and an Xecuter CK3 Lite. I looked at the tutorial and it looked awfully easy, so I decided to just stop being lazy.

Special thanks to everyone who helped me out here (with a HUGE thanks to Fast, easily one of the most helpful users on this site) I really appreciate it
biggrin.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pwn3d91 said:
To be more clear: Since it's an 8v1, is it possible to mod it with the ease of the BenQ meaning all I need to do is hook it up to SATA and use Jungle Flasher?
Jungleflasher normally needs a VIA sata card, refused to work with my motherboard sata ports.

Dosflash/Iprep on the otherhand worked fine with them, saved needing to get a VIA card. You simply have to make sure you have all other SATA devices unplugged, and the Xbox360 DVD drive plugged into the first SATA port.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Similarly liteon probably means Jasper motherboard and a JTAG hacked Jasper is probably the most sought after 360 version (dev kits aside perhaps).
How much would you say a brand new Jtagged Jasper (transistors, aud_clamp) Elite is worth? I've come across another one on eBay....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea how much stuff like this is worth much less trying to account for the kiddies who have not figured out system link and still burn through key vaults courtesy of too much money to burn.

Accept that you will be paying more than a new arcade (or equivalent model if that comes with a hard drive and the like)- looking around it seems people are asking for an extra £100 on top of that for a Jasper and getting it (depending on how well known/respected they are then they might even command a higher price). If it was just work/parts then it would be way over the odds but JTAG capable machines let alone Jaspers are very rare nowadays (and will only become more uncommon*) and we both know how nice they are.

If you only want a JTAG then http://www.redboxmods.com/categories/Xbox-360/JTAG-CONSOLES/ has a bunch of xenons a bit more reasonably priced.

*taking all bets on when such things start to become apparent for the PS3 too.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not looking to buy, but to sell. I've picked up a few Jtaggable consoles with the idea of making a few quid and give me something to do.

I was simply wondering if the PS3 getting jailbroken was going to lower the prices, and if it was worth adding another to my collection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: