Gaming Would a wiiu successor be smart so soon?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to get back to that sentence of Mr. Hielkenator:

All games are good? Seriously?

51Xh3p9boeL._SY300_.jpg
I said nearly, I do not buy blindly. : )
Exceptions aside I almost always steer clear of movie games, for good reason obviously.
Still compared to Wii ( some true gems but alot of shovelware), PS4 Xbox, quantity aside,quality is not lacking on Wii U, third party support is. ( not everything 3rd party is worth my money, but some people seem to think this...)
Most games are lengthly or have replay valeu. I also find this is many of the Xbox 360 games, but it's hard to stay clear of 18+ violent games.
For many of these games the abundant violence is uncalled for, and because of that, they make a fool of themself sadly.
Also most games do not requiere any skill whatsoever, focus is on the story and feel like a walk in the park really, lucky for me there's always Nintendo!
But what do I know? I've been born is the 70's....

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's sitting on a big stockpile of Wii U systems, they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing a new system any time soon and having to eat the costs of those systems, or pull an Atari and steamroll them into a landfill.

Yes, they're working on their next system, as is Sony, as is Microsoft. These companies are always working on the next gen, to some degree or another. Just don't expect anything soon, despite what clickbaity articles would have you believe.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You know, I see 2016 very possible for a true 3DS successor. End of 2016 release in Japan, early 2017 release in US/Europe. Followed by the Wii U successor in late 2017 to early 2018 worldwide.

New 3DS isn't here to stay and we know that, much like the DS lite or DSi were stopgaps, the New 3DS isn't any different. And I believe the 3DS successor will have a unified architecture with the Wii U successor. Possibly Nintendo will try to have as many of these handhelds shipped to consumers before the Wii U successor is out, so they can use it as a marketing tool for future connectivity between the two consoles. E.g. no more having a Wii U GamePad separately, but connecting the new handheld to the new console.

Gruntzer

Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
No, Wii U is a great console with awesome titles.
i own nearly all games and every one of them is good.
games go relatively cheap also.
I wish people started playing games instead of watching reviews and comparing it to other consoles and even to PC.

Nintendo has a potential system, shame advertising was badly excecuted.
In the hand of a good dev, the system is very powerfull graphic wise, though that is not the most imtant part.
Nintendo still amazes me with it's released titles and it's visions in gameplay.
Smiling kids , adults playing their games is proof of that.
The Wii u software has come along way now also, the system is fast smooth and very intuitive to handle.
Having all the control options at hand is a big plus, video chat, Free nintendo and acces to multiplayer gaming is a big plus.
Also the fact you are getting a Wii to boot ( wich is softmoddable out of the box ) off screen tv gameplay (most of the titles) is also neat.

Overall the friendly approach and vision wich is Nintendo trademark, makes the Wii U this gens console winner for me.
Having a ps4 with almost no games worth to boot and not willing to spend 50 euro to get proper online acces, and lack of interest in Xbone for the same reasons.

Wii U is really a great system, and I haven't even started about the great eshop library and it's titles,

So NO a new console is FaaAAAR to soon InMhO.

Don't follow the masses follow your heart, ninty please keep this up, I am enjoying it far to much!
no offense but atm i am regretting my decision to buy a WiiU as it is already is collecting dust for the time being

hope that things change and better games come for people who are actually want good story telling

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no offense but atm i am regretting my decision to buy a WiiU as it is already is collecting dust for the time being

hope that things change and better games come for people who are actually want good story telling
Honest to god that's how I felt until a while after when I got Lego city, ducktales and ssb4. No matter what, anyone's opinion on Wii u is just an opinion and personal preference

Reactions: Gruntzer

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sure hope they don't release a new console in 2016, I bought 2 Wii U and would feel robbed if they ditched the U so soon.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I bought my Wii U two weeks prior to the PS4 release in Europe. I had paid my PS4 preorder in full, but cancelled it and went for the Wii U seeing that I grew up with Nintendo and wanted to give them a chance. This was in 2013. Right now I have mixed feelings as to whether I want to keep buying more Wii U games or whether I should start selling off my Wii U possessions in preparation for whatever Nintendo has planned for the Wii U successor. Nintendo is the reason I'm having these thoughts because they haven't demonstrated they care about their fans enough and I'm feeling it every day more and more. Meanwhile I'm regretting my decision to buy a Wii U every day more and more. Whoever at Nintendo thought releasing the GameCube controller adapter to support just 1 game and whoever at Nintendo thought the situation of Virtual Console on Wii U is somehow funny, should be kicked in the butt because those are two things I could have cared about to keep supporting Wii U and Nintendo with everything I have.

Reactions: Gruntzer

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought my Wii U two weeks prior to the PS4 release in Europe. I had paid my PS4 preorder in full, but cancelled it and went for the Wii U seeing that I grew up with Nintendo and wanted to give them a chance. This was in 2013. Right now I have mixed feelings as to whether I want to keep buying more Wii U games or whether I should start selling off my Wii U possessions in preparation for whatever Nintendo has planned for the Wii U successor. Nintendo is the reason I'm having these thoughts because they haven't demonstrated they care about their fans enough and I'm feeling it every day more and more. Meanwhile I'm regretting my decision to buy a Wii U every day more and more. Whoever at Nintendo thought releasing the GameCube controller adapter to support just 1 game and whoever at Nintendo thought the situation of Virtual Console on Wii U is somehow funny, should be kicked in the butt because those are two things I could have cared about to keep supporting Wii U and Nintendo with everything I have.
To be honest that's how I felt with my Wii which I don't play really and I regret getting it over ps3(which I eventually got) and to be honest I agree to an extent as I love Mario,Kirby, Zelda and what not but getting games like LBP,kh,and nba2k upsets me to a large extent. Do I regret getting a wiiu honestly probably not considering it has more games I'm interested in but I feel ps4 probably will have more games I like overall when its all done. Maybe I'll buy a ps4 and get games cheap in a year or 2

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
To be honest that's how I felt with my Wii which I don't play really and I regret getting it over ps3(which I eventually got) and to be honest I agree to an extent as I love Mario,Kirby, Zelda and what not but getting games like LBP,kh,and nba2k upsets me to a large extent. Do I regret getting a wiiu honestly probably not considering it has more games I'm interested in but I feel ps4 probably will have more games I like overall when its all done. Maybe I'll buy a ps4 and get games cheap in a year or 2

By the time the PS5 is out, the PS4 will have been out for a healthy period with tons of good games. Wii U just can't stretch out that long and Nintendo will prepare to launch a new console just as the other guys are halfway through their cycle. That's something I'm very afraid of.

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the time the PS5 is out, the PS4 will have been out for a healthy period with tons of good games. Wii U just can't stretch out that long and Nintendo will prepare to launch a new console just as the other guys are halfway through their cycle. That's something I'm very afraid of.
Only reason I don't think that will happen is the stuck with the GameCube and waited after the x360 and ps3 to come out before the wii and secondly a 16 release would probably hurt the new 3ds successor

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
No. The smart thing for the Wii U to do is drop its price and preserve brand loyalty.

The PS3 had a similar poor situation last gen where they lost shit loads of money on the first batch of PS3s and struggled to turn any profits. However, they preserved their brands reputation and expanded their fan base by dropping the consoles price, removing excess hardware not needed (PS2 emulator) and releasing some fantastic exclusives (TLOU, Uncharted).

I hope Next gen Nintendo stop pushing underpowered hardware in terms of the base console. If Nintendo didn't decide to mess around during the Wii gen (who can blame them.. they on the generation hands down), we could have gotten games looking like MK8 and Super Smash Bros Wii U NOW. You only have to watch a few clips of Dolphin emulating Wii games at 1080p to see the potential and art direction is there in many of Nintendo's games. The hardware just wasn't up to scratch.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
No. The smart thing for the Wii U to do is drop its price and preserve brand loyalty.
A price drop isn't going to be effective. Nintendo isn't going through a 3DS situation with the Wii U at this point.
The PS3 had a similar poor situation last gen where they lost shit loads of money on the first batch of PS3s and struggled to turn any profits. However, they preserved their brands reputation and expanded their fan base by dropping the consoles price, removing excess hardware not needed (PS2 emulator) and releasing some fantastic exclusives (TLOU, Uncharted).
The Last of Us and Uncharted 3 only came out late into the PS3's lifespan, you need to go back a few years from when those games happened to 2009 when Sony rebranded the PS3 with the PS3 slim. From design to philosophy to the font in the PS3 logo. Sony was losing money on hardware sales and they needed to rebrand to make the PS3 slim appear as a new console. So even though they were still losing money, it was the beginning of turning tides for them.

Nintendo needs to rebrand the Wii U at a minimum to make it clear that they're committed to the brand and catering to the core players. An extremely effective way of doing that would be to bundle every Wii U with a Pro Controller. Something they should've done a long time ago. Keep the price point the same, but double the storage on the Deluxe model to 64GB and sell a 500GB HDD variant separately. If there has to be a redesign, I'm all for it. Maybe make bundles without the Wii U GamePad for cheaper. Nintendo should learn from Sony's success and that is to pay for exclusives. They need to make sure Platinum Games, Monolith Soft, etc. are pumping out games for the Wii U nonstop. And buy more studios / partner with more studios. Then Nintendo needs to make their current studios wake up and make games. I'd love to see a new Custom Robo for Wii U, but what has Noise been doing the past yeears?! The last Custom Robo came out in 2006/2007 for the DS. Finally, whatever is holding Nintendo back from releasing an avalanche of new games on Virtual Console should be a top priority for Nintendo to fix. It seems they haven't invested enough money in VC. They need to hit us hard across the face with N64, GameCube, GBA, and DS games left and right. And get on with a subscription system!!! "Nintendo Plus" with a free monthly game and exclusive discounts and early access to indie games and free VC titles? OH YES.

So much Nintendo could do.

But before they do anything, they must rebrand. I strongly stand by this point. If they don't rebrand like Sony did with PS3, Wii U will always be degraded to the kiddie console of the 7.5th gen with a big fat please understand written all over it. No core player will take Nintendo seriously before Nintendo takes the core players seriously. They just have to rebrand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :hrth::toot::grog::toot::hrth: +1