Homebrew Would a screenshot taking homebrew/hack work?

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be possible to make homebrew that patches the game somehow (like action replay, for example) , to inject code that saves a screenshot to the flashcard's SD card when a button or button combo is pressed?

Or an application (homebrew or PC) that patches a ROM so that it contains code that saves a screenshot to the flashcard's SD card when a button or button combo is pressed?

Or have I got the wrong idea about how these things work?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately no, this is not something that is possible with just a homebrew program. With the way the DS works, you cannot run two programs at the same time; each DS binary takes complete control over the entire DS unit and all its hardware, clearing out any program that was otherwise running in the background. Multitasking on a system with merely 4 MB of RAM is simply not feasible outside of DSLinux. Even if it was possible, you would only be able to take a screenshot of the "main" screen, whichever one the game itself defines; not both screens at once.

The only way to accomplish this would be via a special command that would only work for a specific flash cart. I remember the CycloDS team was working on this sort of thing at one point but they eventually gave up due to the technical limitations involved.

Your best bet is to just run the game in an emulator on your computer and grab your screenshots that way. Unless you want to try creating a Jumbotron DS that is, heh...

EDIT: For what it's worth, you absolutely have the right idea. One would think that it's possible. It's a shame that it isn't.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
there is no homebrew for that... and as user above me said it should be really hard to make one
(and i find it hard to believe that it's impossible or that hard, the DSTWO can put the game on pause and open is own menu, and it can even do cheat and use save slots (which is basically dumping the whole ram into a file, so i believe there is a way even with limitations to take screenshots...)

however, when i was playing phoenix wright and wanted to take screenshots, i saved the game, took out the sd card, opened it on emulator, took the screenshot and back playing to DS
this is a too much work process but it works when trying to screenshot something specific on some games...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What the others have said and emulation is great these days, indeed it has been for a while. However if you really must then you could probably reconstruct a screen* if you can manage to do a savestate of the game like some flash carts can do, there are some issues with some aspects of the VRAM and 3d not being visible in memory (some parts are write only) but it should still be possible.
Point a gun at my head and give me a month and I might be able to get a commercial game or two to have enough of a DLDI library to tell it to dump memory somewhere, I might also be able to abuse a GBA slot flash cart, GBA flash cart SRAM or indeed even a DS game's save memory if there is enough of it to also funnel a dump of the VRAM or something. However I would sooner make a screen capture device or just use an emulator.

*you could rebuild the VRAM in a somewhat cut down manner (you could even mod some things, think https://gbatemp.net/threads/resize-sprites.295053/#post-3681859 but gone large) or you could try to get the savestate running in an emulator.

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the responces.
I understand the DS is not capabable of running a comercial game alongside another piece of software, such as homebrew.
I was more thinking along the lines of what FAST6191 is saying. I.e. getting a ROM software you want a screenshot of (e.g. a comercial game), and modifying it , either permenantly or temporarily and either on the DS or on a PC, to make it capable of capturing itself in some way, and running the ROM on a standard slot-1 flash card, without the processers that the supercard dstwo has.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wifi 7 routers are already out
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and i'm still here on wifi 5
    all my stuff is wired anyway
    what annoys me is my server has 2.5g but i have nothing else that does
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it