Homebrew Would a 250 laptop today and run citra slot better than one made 4 years ago

tiamat999

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My laptop is 4or 5 and it's an Intel 2.10 gh
But citra is playable but it's not full speed. I just want to know how big or small of a difference will it make

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But citra is playable but it's not full speed. I just want to know how big or small of a difference will it make
Nope as $250 is bottom of the barrel when it comes to laptops u will have to look at $400+

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Would you consider getting a desktop tower (sans monitor) for that price? For the same price range, a desktop will likely have a much higher clocked CPU than a laptop due to not having battery life concerns. I have a 3.7 GHz skylake core i3 cheapy desktop from walmart that runs Citra just fine ($300). I also have a lappy in the same price range that's clocked much lower and has considerably worse performance.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: peteruk

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just buy an older laptop used, hell my thinkpad T500 from 11 years ago can run dolphin and citra at full speed and I bought it for 60 bucks. Try to find an older, more powerful laptop since they'll guzzle battery life like no tomorrow, but will most likely actually have better specs than a modern midrange laptop and proper cooling that won't thermal throttle.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Price alone isn't really going to tell you much, you still need to know the CPU model and clock speed (along with other specs). Though admittedly you are probably unlikely to find a laptop for that price that would be powerful enough to run Citra particularly well (unless you find a really great deal on a preowned laptop).

It also depends on the game as well, different 3DS games have very different requirements. You could run some 3DS games well even on a slower laptop, while there are actually a couple that can give even my 4670k 4ghz desktop (and GTX 1060) some trouble.

Note that you should also be concerned about how sturdy the laptop is as well. Cheap sub-$400 consumer-grade laptops (such as Dell's Inspiron or Lenovo's Ideapad) you see at Best Buy and other stores are often priced that low for a reason. In my experience, they're generally built poorly with low quality materials. Especially ones with most/all plastic cases. I've had a handful of these unfortunately, all of them quickly broke even with careful and light use (common issues include faulty keyboards, weak hinges, power supplies/jacks and displays going bad etc).

I agree with the above post suggesting an older laptop. You can probably find a used Thinkpad (Dell Latitude is okay as well) with a respectable CPU at a reasonable price. You can often find these pre-owned, some of which are still in good condition due to their relative sturdiness compared to the newer consumer grade brands.

Last edited by granville,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and used N3DSXL are like $100, CFW it up if you want to play "backups." Its by far the way to go if you're lacking funds.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
No one really answered the question which is if a new laptop in the same price range will perform better than an old one in the same price range. And the answer is unsuprinsingly very likely as technology moves on you get more processing power per Watt/clock cycle.

I agree either get a real 2/3DS or get a 400-$500 laptop if you want fullspeed. Real hardware is always prefered because you can't get closer than the original.

D

Deleted User

yeah cpu clock speeds won't say shit, we need real specs

a pentium 4 from 2003 runs at 2.6ghz and it's entirely inadequate

Xiantyl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent 250 on a used HP Envy with a i7 4712HQ and a 850m GPU and it runs citra fine just had to undervolt a lil for higher frequencies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things