Worth updating to 5.1.1 from 4.1.0?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by yahoo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. yahoo
    OP

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    In light of the browser exploit being ported to support 5.1.0, I'm considering it is okay to update my WiiU, but is there any real reason to? I've read the changelog from nintendo[1] and I'm not sold. Does anyone, from experience, have any input on whether they like the new features?

[1]: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3070/p/431

As an aside, I also found this paragraph on this nintendo page to be rather funny:

2. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    I don't understand why you wouldn't want to. The browser exploit works still. All your getting is minor improvements but you shouldn't not want to update, thats kinda dumb lol

3. Adr990

Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Apr 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Because on 5.0.1 the kernel has been updated I believe, thus perhaps rendering it impossible for the team working on it to get more access.

Is there a way to fool / redirect the Wii U to your own server and get a update from there?
    Some way to replace the 5.0.1 files with the 5.0.0 update.

I'm on 2.1.0E and since I yet cannot block updates with my router (Gonna use a Raspberry Pi for that) I'm sticking with that for now.

4. yahoo
    OP

Aug 4, 2014
    United States

Actually, I forgot about that; I will not update. Crediar did make it clear that the browser exploit still works, but not sure about the PPC kernel, the files of which were in fact updated:

5. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Please read the Homebrew Situation & FAQ thread.

6. yahoo
    OP

Aug 4, 2014
    United States

I have read it. The quote you provided is only talking about the browser exploit to run unsigned code in user space. Marionumber1 and NWPlayer123 don't have a kernel exploit yet, so they can't speak to whether or not the kernel exploit that Chadderz is holding still works in 5.1.0.

7. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Well 5.1.1 is out now I think.

8. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Don't update. 5.1 has no advantages over 4.1. Besides we know that a kernel exploit exists in 4.1. We still don't know if it exists in 5.1

9. yahoo
    OP

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    Yea this thread is moot now that updating to 5.1.0 isn't an option anymore and the current update 5.1.1 breaks the browser exploit...