Worth to buy New 3DS XL? (Gateway etc.)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ehnoah, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Hey guys,

I have a old 3DS XL modded with a SD Adapter added for flashing NAND. I am think about buy the new 3DS XL since I have a lot of fun with 3DS.

You guys think it is worth to change? I was inactive a while, so not sure how it work with 9.3 / 9.4 etc.

2. fafaffy

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    It is worth it, however Gateway currently does not support the New 3DS's and honestly I would wait until they do release the update before you go and purchase the New 3DS XL.

3. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Sad they seems to start banning consoles.

4. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah, but as long as you have a private header for use with all of the ROMs you play online, you're safe in regards to the information we have so far.

5. SpongeFreak52

SpongeFreak52 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    Have we confirmed which FW the US ones are shipping with? I feel like we're close enough to release where some have to have made their way into peoples' hands.

6. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Word "on the street" is 9.0.

7. Miles54321

Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA
    I also recommend the New 3DS XL but if you really want one it's probably best to wait for Gateway to release support
    as you already have a 3ds

8. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Private Header like I did in Pokemon? Buy a Offline Game and use Header to play Online? (PUt header to the ROM)

I have a 3DS but the new one looks great.

Since the Processor is new, can we expect games for "New 3DS" Only in future?

9. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah there are only a couple N3DS exclusives announced so far, and none have been released. The difference in processing power is very minimal, but the improved 3D and extra C-stick are nice.

10. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I have my 3DS preordered from Gamestop right now, reading the posts here I feel like I should cancel it and wait for Gateway. I just worry that Nintendo might start making 3DS with higher firmware by the time Gateway is finished. I was planning on not opening the new 3DS I preordered, then returning it within 30 days if I needed to. I really believe in Gateway to support the new 3DS.

11. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not something you have to worry about in the US, really. The first shipment to hit shelves everywhere will almost certainly be in the 9.0 - 9.2 range.

MattKimura likes this.
  12. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States

a couple?

isn't there only one?

13. ehnoah
    OP

ehnoah GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    How about Old games and the Stick? Since I guess they not have the hook to support this stick?

14. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah I guess it's just Xenoblade Chronicles so far.

15. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Might work for certain games. Anybody tried OoT 3D with the N3DS?

16. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    OP

I wouldn't get a new 3ds unless you were prepared to wait a long time for gateway support. See the all the gatewait threads..

17. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    Not worth it if you already own a 3DS. Unless money is not an issue.

The 3DS was really expensive for its specs back in 2011. Now, 4 years later, they demand the same amount of money for the same hardware, just with double the cpu cores and ram, a few more buttons and a NFC reader. LOL. And why? Just to play a couple of exclusive games at best?

Yesterday i bought a new smartphone for 140 euros. This one:

http://www.gsmarena.com/gigabyte_gsmart_akta_a4-6832.php

Just have a look at its hardware. Seriously. Have a look at its processing power. At its screen. At its features.

Now, the regular New 3DS is 180 euros and the XL 220 euros...

And what do you get? 1/10 of this in value. Only to play a bunch of overpriced games, and not much else. While a smartphone is a general purpose device.

I am not suggesting that smartphones can replace dedicated consoles. That is why i also own a 3DS. What i want to say is that it is OVERPRICED by the GREEDY entity known as Nintendo...

I am not going to give them my money this time...

Random Joe likes this.
  18. Random Joe

Random Joe GBAtemp Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    I agree with TemplarGR

Nintendo has such a dedicated fan base they will buy anything they produce. To me the new 3ds is really not much of any improvement unless your crazy about 3d.

I'm personally sticking with my 2ds. I LOVE it

TemplarGR likes this.
  19. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Nintendo usually always makes a good profit on every console sold. That's why their hardware isn't anywhere near modern comparatively. It's also why people shouldn't feel too guilty about pirating software on their consoles.

:P

Nightwish and TemplarGR like this.
  20. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    And that is my sentiment as well...

Common sense would indicate that a closed ecosystem would subsidize hardware's price in order to get money from software and licence sales. That is what the rest of the industry is doing. That is what Nintendo used to do...

And it makes sense. They restrict what you can use the hardware for, because it is their hardware, they subsidize its price, and they get to pick what runs on it...

But now, Nintendo sells hardware at at least 3x the price, and yet expects as to pay 40-50$ per game as well...

They expect us to even buy the same console twice.

Their greed will be their demise...