Worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by XxOblivion77, Mar 14, 2009.

Mar 14, 2009

Worth the risk? by XxOblivion77 at 6:18 PM (1,461 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. XxOblivion77
    OP

Member XxOblivion77 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hey, what's up GBATemp? So I just got a 360 and am thinking about flashing it to play back-ups. It looks a little too complicated for me, so I was going to get someone to do it for me. I have a few questions though...

1. Is it worth the risk? Is it easy to get banned from XBL? Is there anyway to get yourself unbanned?
    2. If I RRoD, am I completely screwed? Is there a way to fix it myself? Is the RRoD inevitable at some point?

Also, I'm at the latest 360 update with the avatars and all that, so am I screwed there? My laptop has no SATA ports and I'm not opening any computers (I'll open the 360 though). So what can I do? I'd rather do it myself TBH, but if I can't, I can't. BTW, I have the holiday bundle from this year, so it's definitely one of the newer Xboxs.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. Lakerfanalways

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm also gonna have someone flash my XBOX 360 for me..I have not updated it since December 2007, does that make a difference..I Don't have the latest 360 update so is that better or should I update..I don't have an XBOX Live account(Only the one that came with the free 1 month trial when I got the 360) but I might get an xbox live account in the future..does the flashing effect that? I don't think flashing can cause the xbox to brick, at least from what I read

3. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Answers in bold [​IMG]

4. XxOblivion77
    OP

Canada
    Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely get it flashed then. [​IMG]

Also, how can you tell which drive you have?

5. Blfdgfdghd

Banned Blfdgfdghd Banned

Canada
    make a new acc and change ip or block it thats a way to unbann

6. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The console itself is banned, not the account you use.

7. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    http://www.modchipcentral.com/images/samsu...itachi-benq.jpg. If you have the one farthest to the right (which I have a feeling you do), then you'll have to take off your faceplate and look in the hole circled on this page (you'll have to scroll down just a bit): http://www.modchipcentral.com/images/samsu...itachi-benq.jpg. If the wire is white, you have a BenQ. If it's yellow, you have a Lite-on. Be sure to post which drive you have so we can help you.

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Is it worth the risk? Gee, I dunno, I guess getting tons of amazing fun games that cost 60 dollars each for free isn't that cool.

9. XxOblivion77
    OP

Canada
    It's probably a lite-on. Not opening until I'm positive that I can get this done. I was gonna get it done for me anyway.

10. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    Lite-on's unfortunately have soldering involved (unless you pay an extra $60 or so), so it'll probably be hard for you to do yourself. It can be done though, but usually people charge an extra $5 or so because it takes a little longer and involves more skill than the other drives do. That being said, once it's flashed, it'll perform just like any other flashed drive would.

11. Carnivean

Member Carnivean STARMAN

United Kingdom
    A CK3 and a probe can totally avoid soldering and makes it only slightly more involved than any other drive.

12. XxOblivion77
    OP

Canada
    This guy said he'd do it for 40 bucks.

Copy/Pasta of ad:

I mod ALL versions of XBOX 360 to play backup games including Core, Arcade, Pro, Premium, Elite.

Firmware modding and updates for ALL Samsung, Hitachi, Benq, and Lite-On Drives.

All mods use the latest stable firmware to ensure safety on XBOX Live.

Mods are done while you wait, and can be accomplished in about 30 minutes.

Please include your contact number so I can call you back.

Legit or non-legit?

13. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    You got that off Craigslist right? If so, that should be legit. You're lucky he's not charging extra for lite-on drives [​IMG].

14. XxOblivion77
    OP

Canada
    Confirmed to be yellow. I'm no solderer, so I'll have this guy do it. The site's called Kijiji, it's a Canadian local thing.

15. Carnivean

Member Carnivean STARMAN

United Kingdom
    It may cost more but it'll end up covering its own cost if there's ever a reason you need to update the drive's firmware again. If you ever need to upgrade three times that's $120 gone.

16. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    I totally agree with you 100%, which is the exact reason I'm modding my drive on my own. But for this guy, he doesn't even know how to modify a normal drive, let alone a lite-on. It's his decision in the end, but I have a feeling he'd be better off if someone else did it.

17. Lakerfanalways

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That's why I'm paying someone to do it for me too..I found a place in my area that does it for 40 bucks(the flashing) and he is really good..so this week I am gonna go get it done, I don't even know how to open up my xbox so I wouldn't even dare take a chance on doing this..am excited to get it done, for me, modding the xbox is like the ultimate, since I've had everything else done, DS, Wii, gonna have the PSP hacked..so the XBOX is the final thing that needs to be done(Well the PS3 too, if that ever gets hacked oh boy :-) but I doubt it..but hey, ya never know

18. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    In my opinion not enough people have a PS3 for developers to want to invest their time into hacking it. If a developer works that hard to get something done, I think they'd want a lot of people to get use out of it. I can name about 50 of my friends off the top of my head that own a 360, but I can only name 2 that own a PS3. Yeah sure, those 2 people could love the developer's work, but wouldn't a developer rather want 50 people loving his work?