Hardware Worth paying a premium for IPS?

Ballist1x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So im looking for opinions - i have a hyrule edition n3ds xl and since learning about IPS i kinda want an IPS. I have found one on ebay but the guy knows what it is and is charging a premium for it (its on 9.2fw too).

But it's plain metallic blue.

other option is to risk buying a new animal crossing xl or another hyrule and pray i get an ips..but then have to downgrade the fw again etc...

D

Deleted-379826

So im looking for opinions - i have a hyrule edition n3ds xl and since learning about IPS i kinda want an IPS. I have found one on ebay but the guy knows what it is and is charging a premium for it (its on 9.2fw too).

But it's plain metallic blue.

other option is to risk buying a new animal crossing xl or another hyrule and pray i get an ips..but then have to downgrade the fw again etc...
Nah it's not worth it. You'll live with it, it's not the end of the world!

Gara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a dual IPS N3DS XL and I would say it's worth it. I paid a premium to get it and I'm happy with the purchase. You'll get the biggest benefit from the top screen so I would say if you can get an IPS top and TN bottom you are still well off.

For some reason the value on dual IPS systems has gone through the roof the last couple weeks. Pokemon GO people wanting the best Pokemon experience maybe?

Edit: Having a dual TN and a dual IPS system to compare side by side I would say in my opinion it's worth a $100 premium over retail to guarantee a dual IPS system. I tried hunting local stores first but came up empty. Going over the $100 mark in my head it becomes somewhat more questionable. Add in ideal firmware (9.2) and if its a color you love I would add in another $50 to the value.

Last edited by Gara,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Eh, I would say it's pretty kinda worth it. I mean, your games aren't going to be any less fun on a TN screen.

Ballist1x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i only really play pokemom amyway on my 3ds so ... plus maybe Majoras mask...

Thanks guys, split opinion lol!!

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the only people that say that IPS isn't worth it clearly never saw the difference in quality of an IPS and a TN

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Worth it in every way.

When I borrowed my friend's n3DS XL on release, I mainly preferred playing on the new 3DS JUST because of the screen. I was amused by Smash loading time, but the screen was just heaven.

It was much more life-like, fluid, and vibrant than my old 3DS XL. It felt like someone physically drew out the pictures on the screen in crayola markers.

This was before I knew of IPS, or really anything about the 3DS.

It makes the console look more modern, and IPS encourages sharing a screen. For example, when others are watching. Plus, when you set your 3DS down or turn the 3D on, the system doesn't look cheap. In sunlight, IPS is also easier to see in direct light and doesn't have a "reflective color" thing that TNs have. Think of the frontlit GBA SP.

It's like drawing with pen and moving it around light, except with the screen colors.

You should definitely do a shell swap.

I'm currently scouring the Internet for a bottom IPS screen, I don't even mind paying $50 bucks.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended