Hacking Worth Owning Multiple 3DS Consoles?

Is it worth owning 2 or more 3DS Consoles to have OFW and CFW/Flashcart?

• Total voters

helmax87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The $100 trade in sounds great on the XL today at Gamestop.
However soon they will sell their stock, and my option is to just buy a 2nd console at $200.
It's not much loss of money, but now I'm tossing around the idea of getting a N3DS, keeping my 3DSXL, and using the XL to install CFW and experiment with homebrew, CIA, etc.

This was worth doing with a PS3 when the ban wave came across. My BS account got banned, and I was able to keep running my legit account on my main consoles with OFW. I'm considering doing this too, incase I ever want to take it online or accidentally get banned.

Then I can have one console to buy games that are N3DS only, and not risk losing my Nintendo account that I also use for my Wii U.

Thoughts?

8bit-beard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it's not much of a loss of money, then why not? You got the cash. You have a solid case for using the new while modding the old. You're leaving the door open for staying safe from a ban. It seems like a no-brainer to me. Do it.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point? No. The homebrew for the 3DS just isn't there yet. My guess is we won't really see much interesting until the end of the 3DS's commercial lifespan. Until then, I'm sticking with OFW and my DS flashcart. Most of the homebrew I want, I can run just fine with an old DS flashcart.

helmax87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point? No. The homebrew for the 3DS just isn't there yet. My guess is we won't really see much interesting until the end of the 3DS's commercial lifespan. Until then, I'm sticking with OFW and my DS flashcart. Most of the homebrew I want, I can run just fine with an old DS flashcart.

This is the take I was looking for. I'm aware of CFW and CIA which is my point of most interest.
The alternative is I do the trade in, and buy an original 3DS for dirt cheap down the road, and minimize my spending.

Does this seem like a good alternative?
Reason I'm pressing the issue is that the trade in offer ends today.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is ,is it worth it to keep my old 3ds XL and my new 3ds XL AU I paid 275$ for in November
Because I have GW and they said that emunand can never be patched on the old 3ds
And on the n3ds it probably can. 9.5 was thought to be blocked for n3ds but then security flaws were pointed out but from what I understand Nintendo can implement some new obfuscation in the next new FW update that could block emunand on n3ds for who knows how long
I was planning on selling my old 3ds 4.4 and putting the money towards the n3ds but since the future of emunand updates From GW is uncertain for n3ds I might just hang on to it

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
Till now I have 2american old 3ds (one blue and one red) , 1 american old 3ds xl (blue) , 1 japanese new 3ds jap (black) , 1 australian new 3ds xl (blue) ,so 5 total and I'm thinking of buying another american new 3DS . I simply can't get enough of it !

helmax87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are collectors it seems. I am not. I would like to focus on the relevancy here of keeping an older model for CFW/Flashcart use.

From what I've gathered and further investigation I've done. It seems like if you have a flashcart, keep an older model.
If you only are banking on CFW (via downgrade methods), you are going to be running 4.5 emuNand, which means you cant really access anything but Homebrew, and older games content (mostly eshop stuff).
This may or may not include DLC.

The reason its risky running CFW is because it actually modifies memory of the running console. Connection to a Nintendo Server could and will likely detect this (the ban waves).
Using a flash cart is less risky, as it is entirely within your control. Just dont go online if you dont want nintendo seeing your headers, or get your own header (from a friend or copy of a game you own).

I think the best option here is for me to buy a N3DS, get the gamestop $100 credit today, and if I want to in the future, purchase a Gateway.
Due to the cost of a gateway, if CFW becomes more versatile, down the road, I will purchase an old 3DS for the same price, and install that for free.

I think this should help clear up the debate outside of being a collector (especially for myself).

Thanks for the input people!

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
So you are collectors it seems. I am not. I would like to focus on the relevancy here of keeping an older model for CFW/Flashcart use.

From what I've gathered and further investigation I've done. It seems like if you have a flashcart, keep an older model.
If you only are banking on CFW (via downgrade methods), you are going to be running 4.5 emuNand, which means you cant really access anything but Homebrew, and older games content (mostly eshop stuff).
This may or may not include DLC.

The reason its risky running CFW is because it actually modifies memory of the running console. Connection to a Nintendo Server could and will likely detect this (the ban waves).
Using a flash cart is less risky, as it is entirely within your control. Just dont go online if you dont want nintendo seeing your headers, or get your own header (from a friend or copy of a game you own).

I think the best option here is for me to buy a N3DS, get the gamestop $100 credit today, and if I want to in the future, purchase a Gateway.
Due to the cost of a gateway, if CFW becomes more versatile, down the road, I will purchase an old 3DS for the same price, and install that for free.

I think this should help clear up the debate outside of being a collector (especially for myself).

Thanks for the input people!

If I'm a collector I would go for MM new 3ds xl for example. I'm not collector by any means but every revision of the 3DS had it's own taste . That's how it sounds to me

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the take I was looking for. I'm aware of CFW and CIA which is my point of most interest.
The alternative is I do the trade in, and buy an original 3DS for dirt cheap down the road, and minimize my spending.

Does this seem like a good alternative?
Reason I'm pressing the issue is that the trade in offer ends today.

At the end of the 3DS's commercial lifespan, I'd be very surprised if the N3DS isn't as homebrew compatible as the 3DS. Even if it's not, used 3DSs will probably be cheap, due to being replaced by N3DSs and a new generation hypothetically out.

Until then, I do believe the DS flashcarts that work on 3DS also work fine on N3DS, if you do want homebrew on it.

planetarian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
48abf92441394dafd42ea58f9928b52.png

worth it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well you sure can't play backups on both at the same time.
I have two 3DS

Can I use ONE Gateway card for BOTH Consoles? Or do I have to buy 2 cards?
yes you can, you will just have to install games via cia files to the 3DS, then use the red card as a sort of dongle for activating gateway mode, once your in gateway mode you can remove it and boot up the other console into gateway mode, any time either console goes off you will need the red card again to get back into gateway mode, but its perfectly doable for both systems to be running games with only access to 1 gateway card

Reactions: Erol and netovsk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night