Hacking Worth making Pandora battery for brick protection on a PSP phat?

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am new to the PSP scene I've just picked up a PSP phat (1000) that the previous owner had installed 5.00 M33-6 CFW onto. This is working fine but I'm looking into upgrading the firmware.

I realise that we no longer use Pandora batteries to mod PSPs, but one can be useful to recover a bricked console, which is a nice safety blanket.

So I was wondering whether I could or should convert my current normal battery to a Pandora one? I would rather do a software mod (flash the ID) than a hardware one (cut a trace).

I only have the one battery and the one PSP, so to be useful when needed (i.e. at unpredictable times) I would want to keep it as a Pandora battery permanently.

If I did so would it still work as a normal battery, i.e. charge up and power the PSP normally?

Would I have any problems booting? I would want the console to boot normally if no buttons are held down, so as to be playable by non-technical folk.

I've searched quite a lot but have come across contradictory info in old guides.

esmjanus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you convert your battery to pandora, you still will be able to use it like a normal battery, the only downside is that you are going to need to install a custom IPL in all your memory sticks in order to turn on your PSP normally. Without a custom IPL your PSP will stay on black screen and It will not boot.
To install a custom IPL on your memory stick you can use PSP Grader and select Inject IPL Only.

Reactions: pelago

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
you are going to need to install a custom IPL in all your memory sticks in order to turn on your PSP normally. Without a custom IPL your PSP will stay on black screen and It will not boot.
Ah thanks, I hadn't realised that.

I've read in a few places (including https://gbatemp.net/threads/pandora-mms-guide-for-installing-cfw.206173/) that the "Magic Memory Stick" with the injected IPL needs to be 4GB or under - do you know if that's still true? If so, that would stop me doing this, as I was planning to use a 32GB MicroSD in a Pro Duo adapter.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I think that would stop you. IIRC, the kernel used in most Pandora implementations is based on the old 1.0/1.5 kernel, which didn't support >4GB MSs...

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, I've just been googling for, e.g. "8gb magic memory stick" and "16gb magic memory stick" and even "32gb magic memory stick", with the quotes, and have been receiving results, mainly from people selling pre-made ones (much fewer results for the 32GB search), so it does seem to be possible after all. I'll try and search some more, but it's tricky with the info being so old.

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So it turns out that B4rtj4h can't find his Pandora battery, but he did point me to http://www.dx.com/p/hybrid-2-in-1-d...nbricker-service-normal-1200mah-battery-15153 where I can buy one for only £4.39 inc postage. I didn't realise they were so cheap! I thought that, after this time, they might be getting more expensive rather than cheaper as they get rarer (maybe that will be true in five years' time). So, I'll probably get one from there, just in case.

The next challenge will be making a "magic memory stick", again, just in case. I've read (might be wrong) that these can only be made with a genuine Pro Duo card, not using a MicroSD adapter. My only genuine Pro Duo card is only 32MB, which might not be enough.

Also I worry about the software to inject the IPL. Some of it seems to be Windows XP only. Even Windows 7 software might not be usable in five years or so.

Are there any open source magic memory stick injectors, or instructions on how to do it with, for example, dd in Linux?

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The software only works on those old versions of Windows. However: there is an easy fix for that. There are these Live discs from Windows that you can download *links I can not provide for "reasons"* but Google and you shall find ;).

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Third party batteries are almost always of very poor quality and are potentially rather dangerous. You might be better off buying two batteries, a high quality first party Sony battery and a third party, pre-made Pandora battery. Since the risk of bricks is very low, you will probably never even use the Pandora battery.

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Third party batteries are almost always of very poor quality and are potentially rather dangerous. You might be better off buying two batteries, a high quality first party Sony battery and a third party, pre-made Pandora battery. Since the risk of bricks is very low, you will probably never even use the Pandora battery.
Thanks. The PSP I got actually came with an official Sony battery, and despite being old gives 4 hours life, which surprised me. The question was whether to pre-emptively (i.e. before I had a brick) make it a Pandora battery or not, as I thought Pandora batteries would be £20 or so. Now I've seen how cheap Pandora ones are (under £5), I would indeed get a separate Pandora battery, and indeed probably would only get one if needed rather than get one in advance.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

That is some serious bullish*t. I am active in the drone world and thirdparty batteries are all you want. For the PSP: What can happen with a battery? There is a circuit inside the battery that can switch from normal to Pandora mode, nothing else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn