Worth it to get a 3DS for $99 with trade in this weekend?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by famicon_don, Aug 12, 2011.

1. famicon_don
    OP

Newcomer famicon_don Member

United States
    I am very angry after having bought my DSi last month because only a few weeks later did I discover that the price of the 3DS would come down $80. Had I known this at the time I would have just bought a 3DS. However, I purchased the DSi for $150 bought an Acekard 2i and a Hori screen protector. I could trade in my recently purchased DSi system this weekend and basically wind up paying $99 to get the 3DS and I almost want to do this but it doesn't quite seem worth it. I say this for a few reasons. First, the price of the 3DS will definitely drop again and there might be another trade in deal. Second, there are definitely some good games coming out for the 3DS but I am worried that the 3DS might not ultimately do that well as a system considering the poor sales and that this might result in poor third party support from developers. Third, I might just want to purchase a PS Vita in the future instead. I am more of a hardcore gamer and the PS Vita would suit me better. I basically bought a DSi to play the castlevania games because I am obsessed with them. I was also interested in other DS games but now I am disappointed because I am finding that other than RPGs, Pokemon and Zelda, the DSi/DS lite do not have much to offer. I hate RPGs, they are boring and repetitive. But maybe Nintendo will capture more of the hardcore demographic with the 3DS (I doubt it)? What do you all think?

2. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    Well considering that a number of third party developers were happy that the 3DS's price dropped, I think you wouldn't have to worry about that

3. Kiaku

Member Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would trade it in because I doubt that there will be anymore cheaper special trade-in occasions like these for the 3DS. For some reason, it's like you'll regret it more if you don't trade it in sooner. I feel sympathy for you, since you'll waste your $ even more if you trade in your ~like new~ DSi to gamestop for the 3DS at a price of around $100.

Edit: Miscalculation [​IMG]

4. serenade.63

Member serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If youre waiting for ANOTHER price drop you will be waiting for a VERY long time, like until the next iteration of 3ds is released which may be never if the system does poorly as you said.