Worth it for me to get a PSP?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Pyrofyr, Jun 1, 2008.

Jun 1, 2008

Worth it for me to get a PSP? by Pyrofyr at 4:26 PM (4,205 Views / 0 Likes) 46 replies

1. Pyrofyr
    OP

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Decided to indeed get it, now I'm just using this thread for questions pertaining to starting it up and ease of modding. Original post in spoiler.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  3. SkH

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
  4. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    Potemkin only plays one game fully, it's one of those bubble bobble ones that ALL of the emulators play.

The info on the UMDs sucks ass, this means that if I want large games like that I'll need to buy TWO memory sticks (One for the games I'll always keep:Patapon, Lumines) D: ?

A few more questions
    1)I read the how to mod a PSP Slim without the other battery (Pandora, Phat, etc) can't I do that and skip the 7~21 day waiting period?
    2)If my friend has one I can just use his right? (I doubt he has one, but heh... I should ask him xP)

5. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    As far as homebrew is concerned, SNES emulation is unbelievable, N64 emulation is always getting better, and PS1 emulation is near perfect. PS1 games are fairly large, but not really large and it's usually only an issue if you are playing multi-disk games. I only ever used my PSP for emulation and it brought me years of fantastic gaming.

For commercial games, the PSP, IMHO, is a complete flop. It has four or five decent exclusive games and a handful of decent watered-down ports, but as a homebrew device, it far exceeds anything else on the market. The Pandora will be better for emulation, but we are still going to have to wait quite a while until we can get our hands on that for under $300.

6. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Happy Birthday....

7. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    I see, so pretty much even if just for homebrew it's 100% worth it...

I've actually been looking through the game library and found a few others that intrigue me such as "N+" being already released on PSP(?), flOw (Kinda...) and echochrome (HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS GOOD)

So I'm fairly sure I'm gonna get it, like near 100% sure, as long as I get enough, which I'm pretty sure I should.

--
    Thank you airpirate545 :]

8. hybridkit

Member hybridkit GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Get a 2GB memory stick and u can fit any psp ISO inside. Even if its 1GB , u can always compress from ISO to CSO format to save some space. [​IMG]

Hope u enjoy ur new PSP. [​IMG]

9. apocalypticvisio

Member apocalypticvisio GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You can pick up a used phat or slim and a 2 gig used card from gamestop/eb for about 200, and it can be modded for free if you got friends, or under 30 if you end up needing to buy a tool battery. I used it to get ahold of the FF games that I can't get to on the DS, and for use of the PSX and SNES emulation. I dun play n64 games, but even then, I would wait out the Deadalus project, it's getting really good. Who wouldn't want a portable Marvel VS Capcom 2 anyway. Also, if you have a few extra, just go to Wally World or electronics store and get a sony 4 gig for about 50 bucks instead of just a 2gb stick.

10. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Circuit City has a nice sale today in the Sunday ads, a 4gig Sandisk Ultra II for 49.99!

Also, I went to the demo download section, but I dont see a God of War demo. And I'm dying to try it [​IMG] Is there somewhere else I can get it?

P.S. My Psp isnt modded yet, Im still waiting for consoleship.com to ship me my pandora's battery [​IMG]

11. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    I just bought a PSP, brand new slim.

I bought a 1GB card with it, which is pretty much going to be temporary for now, as the 4GB ones are 50 bucks (My god, way more expensive than microSDs...). I also bought Patapon.

I do have a little problem however, I'm wondering if since I bought a brand new I can go ahead and use my battery (instead of having to buy a tool one) and do the pencil/graphite thing.

Now, I CAN send it with my friend to have his teacher do it (He has the pandora tool and does it for most of his students), so if doing the cut/graphite thing won't work, I'll just send it for him to do that, since I have Patapon that will indeed hold me off for a while.

--
    One other question too....
    Since UMDs can't be 'burned' is there any way to get cheap PSP UMD games? My friend is going to China this summer, so I can have him buy them there (Are they cheap as hell?) but I'm not sure if they'd have English ones :[

12. Shyn

Member Shyn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Why would you want UMD games? You won't need UMDs to run games, you can run them directly off your memory stick.

13. seren

Newcomer seren Advanced Member

Australia
    1) Modding is simple, you just need a pandora battery and a "magic memory stick". Battery can be purchased and memory card can be made using utilities found on the internet.

The PSP homebrew scene is so much more superior to the DS. You get close to perfect SNES compatibility and other emu's and PSX support. Also the PSP provides a broader range of homebrew apps in general because of it's faster hardware. PDF reader, streaming radio, better media player, etc.

2) You need a MS pro duo stick. Games are a bit large, so you'd probably want a 4/8 gig one. Latest M33 custom firmware supports 8 gigs.

3) It's not possible to burn games onto the UMD, you need to run everything from the memory stick. Why would you want to anyway? The UMD consumes more batteries.

4) Some PSX games are large, but should be fine with a 4/8 gig card.

The PSP has it's on great list of games also, but the bottom line is if you want multimedia playback and homebrew abilities, the PSP is a great purchase.

14. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
  15. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    1)I can just 'make' the battery though right like it says in the sticky? How hard is that, like for someone with NO soldering experience. From what I read of it, I just need to cut the right wire, and from there it's actually no soldering at all, I only need to get a pencil and rub the graphite on it (One option, probably what I'll go for). If this is the case, I can do it myself with an Exacto knife.

2)My main reason for wanting UMDs is that the pro carts are so much more expensive than per se microSD carts, so a 4GB would cost me around 50 bucks in a store (Target) whereas I can get that much memory on a microSD for 20 bucks (Although I know I shouldn't compare).
    In any case, that's my reasoning behind that. I'll probably wait for the next amount of money I get to come through (Aunt and grandma sending money, probably 50 each as usual, leaving way more than enough). ATM I have a 1GB that I bought for basics. Nice to know that 8GB is supported, because I had read earlier it wasn't, but if I have an 8GB I only need one.

3)How significant is the difference between the 2 in battery life? The life overall with the standard battery seems crappy (5 hours? Eww).

I'm sorry for having so many questions, but when you google you never really get a straightforward answer, and sifting through pages and pages in the stickies to find the answer obscurely referenced to would be a nightmare.

16. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    There are other nice games on the PSP
    Castelvania
    Crisis Core: FFVII
    Loco Roco ( childish but entertaining )

why would you be interested in Patapon and Luimines only [​IMG]?

17. jeronz

Newcomer jeronz Advanced Member

New Zealand
  18. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I'm pretty sure they don't work on the PSP as they don't have the correct tech in them.

The PSP is totally worth it, the emulation craps all over the DS emulation and once you have a couple of memory sticks you can have several retail PSP games on one and all your homebrew on the other. It's an awesome entertainment device for travelling.

There have been some good games mentioned, there is also Rachet & Clank, Daxter, GTA's, Disgaea, Jeanne D'Arc, and heaps more, all quality games. Don't believe the Nintendo fanboys who will tell you there are no good games on the PSP.

19. papyrus

Member papyrus GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    but this is a nintendo based forums? Is there a PSP forum like GBATemp?

20. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    Well I already bought one, so as far as making sure I get one, I'm sold there. (Loving Patapon, and playing demos)

Disgaea, I must try... as well as the PSX version, since I've never played it.

FFVII, was one I didn't much care for (Never played original due to spoilers if you didn't play it within the first month -- which I didn't).

I'll probably start trying to enjoy more of the PlayStation franchise games like Daxter and Ratchet and Clank.

I'll be downloading games now (I hate these stupid sites all using MU/RS but w/e), since I'll just have to do it like that until I can get the correct working one. (I'd be willing to try doing it myself tomorow with my current battery, but only if there is a very low risk, as if that were the case I'd then have to go grab another battery.