Hardware Worth getting a PSP after Vita release?

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
OP
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Since the Vita has just been released, I'm thinking of getting a PSP. But I was wondering if it is currently really worth it? The prices in europe don't seem to have dropped yet, and I really don't want to spend 150-200€/$ on a last-gen handheld. Maybe someone can give me some advice when to buy (now, or rather wait a month or two) and which model to get?

What I want:
I have rather large hands, the NDS was too small for me, and for the same reason I don't opt for a 3DS.
Homebrew, especially emulation (SNES, GBA). Is that possible? From reading a bit here, it seems that all models are hackable.
WPA2 support, if WiFi is regularily needed.
Battery should last at least 5 to 10 hours.

Since the PSP Go control placement looks awkward to me, and I'd rather have an UMD slot, I guess I would go with an older model. I have zero knowledge about the PSP, since I went the last years with Nintendo only.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Since the Vita has just been released, I'm thinking of getting a PSP. But I was wondering if it is currently really worth it? The prices in europe don't seem to have dropped yet, and I really don't want to spend 150-200€/$ on a last-gen handheld. Maybe someone can give me some advice when to buy (now, or rather wait a month or two) and which model to get?

What I want:
I have rather large hands, the NDS was too small for me, and for the same reason I don't opt for a 3DS
Not defending the 3DS but I am okay with it. I have large hands as well. The PSP 3000 would be fine.

Homebrew, especially emulation (SNES, GBA). Is that possible? From reading a bit here, it seems that all models are hackable
PSP is a 'haven for emulation'. As far as I know it can emulate GBA and some others.

WPA2 support, if WiFi is regularily needed.
Can't answer. My connection isn't WPA2.

Battery should last at least 5 to 10 hours.
Not much problem. My old PSP lasted about 6 - 7 hours.

Since the PSP Go control placement looks awkward to me, and I'd rather have an UMD slot, I guess I would go with an older model
Be reminded that if you ever consider picking up a PSV, it is only backwards compatible with digital software. The UMD passport program applies to JP accounts only.

I have zero knowledge about the PSP, since I went the last years with Nintendo only.
tl;dr version: it's a fantastic console.
I suggest 2000 or 3000, or go straight with the Vita and do digital downloads.

Reactions: 1 person

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Wifi isn't needed really. Just head over to ebay and pick any model up cheap...if you want the best battery life ideally you're looking at a 2000 with a larger battery cover and the 1000's battery.

The PSP is still a great purchasing decision thanks to it's games library and emulation potential.

Reactions: 1 person

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you don't care about wifi (since your vita has wifi) you can buy a psp E1000 it's the newest cheaper model with no wifi.

Anyway wifi on psp is very limited especially since pretty much every game have their online mode dropped one year after release (EA mostly).

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't care about wifi (since your vita has wifi) you can buy a psp E1000 it's the newest cheaper model with no wifi.

Anyway wifi on psp is very limited especially since pretty much every game have their online mode dropped one year after release (EA mostly).
But if you still want to play with your friends then don't get the E1000 otherwise you can't Ad hoc with your friends either.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
OP
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
also get a ms pro duo to dual micro sd adapter as micro sd's are far cheaper than ms pro duo's

Yeah, thats the thing I'll need to get in the future. I had a Memory Stick Micro M2 from my old cellphone along with an adapter by Sandisk, but It didn't fit in the slot. So I needed to pick a Pro Duo from my local store (way too expensive though :/).

I'm loving it so far, I ordered Crisis Core with it and am really impressed by the graphics, display and XMB. The NDS really pales in that regard.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest I would suggest getting an actual MSPD rather a micro sd adapter. In my experiences I found I had a higher level of performance using an actual MSPD than an adapter.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be honest I would suggest getting an actual MSPD rather a micro sd adapter. In my experiences I found I had a higher level of performance using an actual MSPD than an adapter.
That is true, but the beautiful thing about adapters is that you can expand on them cheaply and quickly. Where I live, Memory Sticks are not only insanely expensive but also barely available. The biggest stick I've seen in a supermarket is 8Gb, any larger then that have to be ordered online for prices that aren't even funny anymore.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is true, but the beautiful thing about adapters is that you can expand on them cheaply and quickly. Where I live, Memory Sticks are not only insanely expensive but also barely available. The biggest stick I've seen in a supermarket is 8Gb, any larger then that have to be ordered online for prices that aren't even funny anymore.

Personally I much prefer having an insurance on having high level performance than space. I spent a decent amount my 4GB Sandisk, it performs brilliantly. Than again, I've never felt teh need to have more than a few games at hand. All I have on my MSPD is Shadow of Memories, Lumines and homebrew. Regarding space, I would actually suggest using an M2 adapter, M2 cards are decently priced and are actually supported.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Personally I much prefer having an insurance on having high level performance than space. I spent a decent amount my 4GB Sandisk, it performs brilliantly. Than again, I've never felt teh need to have more than a few games at hand. All I have on my MSPD is Shadow of Memories, Lumines and homebrew. Regarding space, I would actually suggest using an M2 adapter, M2 cards are decently priced and are actually supported.
Myeh. When I have less space then 16Gb, I feel unbarable itching in my thumbs that I need moar. Never really had any problems with adapters that would impede my gaming, my only bad experience was a "fake" adapter I got for $2-3 I think, and even that works decent up to this day.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country

Myeh. When I have less space then 16Gb, I feel unbarable itching in my thumbs that I need moar. Never really had any problems with adapters that would impede my gaming, my only bad experience was a "fake" adapter I got for $2-3 I think, and even that works decent up to this day.
I guess it really depends on what you have available.

I was lucky to be able to get a 16GB MSPD although it was bloody expensive where I am and I just use a normal 16GB USB as backup for extra games, movies etc. Its pretty easy to carry it all around with me since I got a carry case for $10 :D

BlazeV

Trophies
XP
Country
Its so worth it. A cheap console that has a much more entertaining libary of games than the ds and the 3ds combined its worth that $100 you spend for it.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita has no games, but the PSP has some so yeah it should be worth it unless you want to wait it out.

Wow....so the Vita, which has access to PSP games (which reportedly look great and control better), has no games, but the PSP which has access to those self same games has some? PARADOX'd!

Reactions: 3 people

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita has no games, but the PSP has some so yeah it should be worth it unless you want to wait it out.

Wow....so the Vita, which has access to PSP games (which reportedly look great and control better), has no games, but the PSP which has access to those self same games has some? PARADOX'd!
But you need to resister the UMD and then pay a fee to redownload a game you already own. So its cheaper just to get a PSP in the long run until the Vita has CFW and you can transfer your PSP games through the PC to the Vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr