Hacking Worth buying a PSP as an emulation device?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNES emulation is alright unless you're a purist.

Stuff is generally playable, but with a lot of slowdown and the sound is often way off. I just find it too annoying to play, guess I'm a purist,lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Stuff is generally playable, but with a lot of slowdown and the sound is often way off. I just find it too annoying to play, guess I'm a purist,lol
Really...? I don't remember running into issues like this when I tried it. You sure you didn't use an iffy emulator?

...and that's from 3 years ago, emulators went a long way since then.

Reactions: Attila13

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SNES emulation on PSP: Most chip games (DSP-Mario Kart, FX-Starfox/Yoshi's Island, SA1-Kirby Superstar) are too slow to be considered playable in my opinion.. I'd also say any of the larger roms (32meg+ especially) will have [less] slowdown, but many are still playable. It's a bit of a bummer as for me 90% of my emu gaming is on SNES games, but like has been said since you can pick up an old 2nd hand PSP even in GAME for next to nothing it shouldn't put you off purchasing one. Most other SNES games run great (Mario World, Zelda, Secret of Mana for the most part), and there's an awful lot more the PSP can do, it's a fantastic little emu machine and will more than keep you happy until GCW-Zero.

ng7apoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks again for all the help everyone going to make the trip into town in a bit will see what I can get :)

With all the talk about using the right emulator and configs for good SNES results can someone point me in the right direction?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i just have to throw in my two cents here, but dont, for the love of god, get a 1000 psp.

the buttons were terrible on that one when it was still new, but after a month or two of playing, they really start to give in.
its pretty much impossible to hit diagonal directions on that one (which made street fighter alpha 3 a bitch to play) and the xotrianglesquare buttons are similar, my O button pretty much sinks into the psp, the x button had to be repaired about 3 times in the first year, while the square button even after about 4 years, is still much stiffer than all the others.
also the 1000 screen had a terrible problem with dark colors
it doesnt make for a good playing experience.

so, you should always opt for a 2000 or 3000 psp.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
i just have to throw in my two cents here, but dont, for the love of god, get a 1000 psp.
the buttons were terrible on that one when it was still new, but after a month or two of playing, they really start to give in.
also the 1000 screen had a terrible problem with dark colors
I'll give you that the D-Pad is probably the worst of the PSP models...although this can be remedied with a small mod.

However -
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ly4gmv.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/mb27vo.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2khbv8.jpg
Honestly the screen is so far from the way you make it sound (the impression you give is equivalent to the difference between the AGS-001 and AGS-101 GBA's. I own both and that's a massive difference, whilst on the PSP it's not that bad). As for the buttons, i got my 1000 second hand and have used it for a couple of years and it's still fine.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A PSP is a great option for emultion. dont buy into the android phone for emulation stuff. In my opinion that route is rubbish. Sound skips are very common on phones and Ive tried everything on an Xperia Play to get smooth framerates and perfect sound and it just doesnt exist. Its not the speed of the phone either as I get exactly the same problems with the Galaxy S3.

Anyhow, I've got a PSP and can assure you the near PERFECT emulation exists for all the old consoles. Nes, Master System, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Sega Genesis run almost flawlessly.

SNES like others have said is a bit more hit and miss, but its still great. Sound is more or less perfect. You just have to set up either a 1x frameskip for some games, or 2x frameskip for a few of the more taxing ones.

PSX emulation is in my experience also totally flawless. Ive got about 50 or so on my SD cards and apart from a few troublesome games that require a bit of research to initially get them to work, its basically a perfect playstation in your hands. Full frame rate, no slowdown, and perfect sound.

Considering you can pick them up now used for about 40 quid, its an absolute no brainer

ng7apoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately my nearest GAME had no pre-owned PSP's at all :O so ended up getting a new Street E1000 at least the gift voucher covered it lol :D

Sadly though after getting home and opening it after switching it on I find a dead pixel bang in the middle of the screen :( so will have to make the trek all the way in (I live in a rural area well away from nearest store) to exchange it :(

Have had a brief chance to try out some emulators and have to say I'm impressed so far! Particularly with GBA emulation was very pleased after putting the PSP side by side to my GBA running the same game! :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately my nearest GAME had no pre-owned PSP's at all :O so ended up getting a new Street E1000 at least the gift voucher covered it lol :D

Sadly though after getting home and opening it after switching it on I find a dead pixel bang in the middle of the screen :( so will have to make the trek all the way in (I live in a rural area well away from nearest store) to exchange it :(

Have had a brief chance to try out some emulators and have to say I'm impressed so far! Particularly with GBA emulation was very pleased after putting the PSP side by side to my GBA running the same game! :)
Nobody mentioned the Street because it's got low build-quality, no Wifi, just mono sound, etc. We generally don't even consider it an option.

But yeah GBA emulation is likely one of the best examples, though there's still a few games that have issues (Wario Land 4, etc.)

ng7apoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It wasn't my intention to get the Street model it was simply the only one they had and having made my mind up to get a PSP I took it, tbh other than the mono sound which is a pity the rest doesn't bother me and I actually like the thicker size but reduced weight it seems to give a good feel and nice grip, though admittedly I don't have much PSP experience to compare with - I do hate the way they've re-done the home/volume/start & select buttons though they are terrible :(

Screen seems to flicker when plugged in to charge also so its definitely going back for an exchange hope the next ones a good one

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll give you that the D-Pad is probably the worst of the PSP models...although this can be remedied with a small mod.

However -
http://i56.tinypic.com/2ly4gmv.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/mb27vo.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2khbv8.jpg
Honestly the screen is so far from the way you make it sound (the impression you give is equivalent to the difference between the AGS-001 and AGS-101 GBA's. I own both and that's a massive difference, whilst on the PSP it's not that bad). As for the buttons, i got my 1000 second hand and have used it for a couple of years and it's still fine.

yeah i know of that small mod. it really doesnt always work. worst of it is, when for some reason, your dpad starts to get different pressure points. like, i only have to grasp the dpad to go left, but i still have to hold it down on the right.

have you ever tried playing prince of persia warrior within on a psp? the princes hair is all over the screen when you run. and whenever you run through a dark hallway, you get yellowish lines all over the place

@ng: i dont believe a single dead pixel is reason enough for an exchange. i was always under the impression you need to have like 10% dead pixels or something. also, theres a chance that putting custom firmware on it might void any kind of warranty

ng7apoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just want to say thanks to all again, you've been very helpful :)

Got an exchange and have to say I'm pretty happy with it, probably should have got in on this sooner lol shame about the sound issues in both Handy and PLynx but still having great fun with the games anyway!:lol: also finding out the joys of OpenBOR :)

@Clydefrosch I realise many retailers and manufacturers have dead pixel guidelines but if you saw my other post I was more concerned with with the screen flickering when plugged in to charge, after a very short bit of use it turns out as a result it wasn't charging the battery correctly either so a clearly faulty console :( disappointing given I had to make a fair length trip in heavy snow to get a replacement but at least I got an easy hassle free exchange from staff at GAME so credit to them :)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short answer
yes
long answer
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I bought a faulty (cant read UMD's) psp online for $30 to use while I wait for 3DS homebrew.
So far, its great for Anime, PS1, GBA and of course - some nice homebrew.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would say for the most part Yes the PSP is a reasonable emulation device, Though I try to ignore those who tell me I should get an android phone to emulate anything, Unless its the Xperia Play they can shove it lol I need buttons if I am playing a game that had buttons lol... that and I got an iPhone and don't see the sense in getting another phone for the foreseeable future but that's a whole 'nother story

Stark

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm currently using the PSP to emulate all kinds of GBA games and they work flawlessly! perfect sound, perfect image, option for save states, and many other config options. Haven't tried SNES yet, guess I'll try it at some point

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands