Hacking Worth buying 3DS primarily for DS games and cart?

Glottiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I'm very much interested in buying a 3DS (or DS, but mostly 3DS). I would play some 3DS games on it but mostly DS, because DS library is huge and 3DS not so much, yet.
So my question is it worth it to get 3DS primary for use with flashcart and DS games or not? Will I live in constant fear of new firmware disabling my cart? What about new 3DS games that want to update FW? I really don't want to buy 3DS and end up with situation like PS3 where can't play any new games :(

TheZoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a 3DS but I don't have a flashcart for it. Still, it's definitely worth! The list of titles is growing steadily and there's some great quality games in.

About the flashcart... well, it seems people wait for firmware updates. So, as long you don't update on day #1, you should be safe.

In any case, 3DS is giving me an amazing experience as console. I highly recommend it!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go for the 3DS, and to maximize your functionality with it, I'd pick up a Supercard DSTWO, since it has the ability to emulate GBA and SNES games directly on its onboard CPU (albeit not perfectly, but very well, in my opinion). The cart is updated usually within a single day after a firmware update on the 3DS, and in the chance you forget that you should always wait to update until you can update your card first, the DSTWO can actually update itself (provided you give it the properly named file) even if the system has blocked it.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A 3DS with a Supercard DSTWO and with a good microSD card is well although the menu looks like crap (-> upscaled screen).
the DSTWO can actually update itself (provided you give it the properly named file) even if the system has blocked it.
That function is very dangerous and you shouldn't use it.
3ds is a piece of art
Yes, you are right but you must clean it all the time.

Reactions: 2 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted-236924

You mentioned that you planned on playing some 3DS games, in which case it would be worth it.
That is because if you bought a DS Lite (Or a DSi), you wouldn't be able to play the 3DS games.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the DSTWO can actually update itself (provided you give it the properly named file) even if the system has blocked it.
That function is very dangerous and you shouldn't use it.

How? Give it the properly named update file, leave it be at the menu for a few minutes, and reboot.

Very dangerous as if you were to brick? Initiate the updater on another cart on a DS Lite, and swap it out. Your argument is invalid.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
That sounds like a huge waste of money. There's actually a few decent 3DS games right now but I think it's wiser to wait for a redesign or hack, whichever comes first.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
If you can afford it then yeah get the 3DS, if you get a DS and the 3DS games that you would like to play get released, you will have regrets.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The analog stick alone makes DS much MUCH better.

I don't get it.
You can use the circle pad with any regular DS game (even those played on a flashcard). It won't register analog movement (soft or hard presses) and it will still function with 8 digital directions, but the smooth feel of the circle pad improved most DS games immensely for me. Plus it's much easier to pull off diagonals.

Anyways, to the TC- I can't speak for you but i upgraded from a DS Lite to a 3DS and found it worth it personally. The only caveat is that DS games will be slightly blurrier due to upscaling to a higher resolution (you can play DS games in original resolution but the view will be very small). I didn't mind this blur at all though, it's only really noticeable if you know exactly what the games should look like anyways IMO. I made a basic comparison on what the difference is-
ctds3dscomparison.png

I wanted to play 3DS games however, so i didn't have any reservations in going from DS to 3DS. If the 3DS library or its future strikes any interest with you, i say go for it. You'll be set for the future if you ever want a 3DS game or whatever, and it will do everything a normal DS will do (sans anything requiring the GBA slot). Though i will say the obvious in that redesigns are inevitable if you'd like to wait for a while to see what a newer remodel of the 3DS might look like. That's entirely up to you however. No telling when such a thing will happen.

As for flashcards and Nintendo blocking them, that is always a danger you're going to face and it will likely happen. The most recent update that arrived several days ago did indeed block most popular flashcards. The more popular ones are fixed very fast however. I own a Supercard DSTWO personally and they had an update out to bypass the flashcard block within just a couple of hours. The trick to dealing with this is to get one from a good and responsive team like Supercard (DSTWO is a great cart and considered by many including myself to be the best one currently out, Team Supercard has been making cards for quite a long time).

You should avoid updating the 3DS itself until you're certain your card is in a state where it will work with the latest 3DS software. If it's not, just play it safe and avoid updating the 3DS until you've updated your flashcard with a fix. Though as someone stated, the DSTWO has some extra hardware inside where it can actually update itself even if the 3DS software blocks it. I haven't ever tried it (i've always just waited to update the 3DS until my DSTWO was guaranteed to function properly), but it's said to work as long as you follow the instructions well enough. Another great advantage of the Supercard DSTWO. What Technicmaster0 said is apparently only true if you don't follow the proper steps, like turn the system off or mess around with the card while it's updating (which has a chance of bricking your DSTWO). There's a guide in regards to this in this thread-
http://gbatemp.net/topic/290190-the-supercard-dstwo-beginners-guide/

Some flashcart dealers also sell DSTWO's with the latest firmware already flashed to them. I got mine last year from Modchip Central, they pre-flashed it to work with the latest 3DS software at the time. And it did work fine when i got it. You can contact them to see whether they do this for the newest recent 3DS update as well.

Reactions: 2 people

beta4attack

Trophies
XP
Country
Kid Icarus: Uprising says it all..... Nuff said. I for one had a DS Lite and the 3DS was a HUGE leap for me, it's better in every way possible than a DS Lite. If you really want to play some good games, go get it. But if you want to wait for a new release you might need to wait a year or two.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The analog stick alone makes DS much MUCH better.

I don't get it.
You can use the circle pad with any regular DS game (even those played on a flashcard). It won't register analog movement (soft or hard presses) and it will still function with 8 digital directions, but the smooth feel of the circle pad improved most DS games immensely for me. Plus it's much easier to pull off diagonals.

My brain was fried at the time. I thought he meant because of the circle pad, the DS was much better, not DS games were much better on the 3DS. The former not making sense.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it worth it to buy a 3ds, yes. Is it worth it just to play DS games, I wouldn't say so. WIll you want to play 3ds games at some point, highly likely I'd say.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if you're only gonna use it for DS games. It's called a 3DS for a reason; none of the DS games actually benefit from anything on that system, other than the circle pad as a control medium, yeah. But you're better getting a DSi. In fact, DS games look blurrier due to the 3DS' higher resolution, and the games being upscaled.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
The 3DS's built-in software alone can keep you occupied for a long time and it does everything a DS can do.
The 3DS has many promising years ahead of it -- the DS is hooked-up to life support. (B&W 2 is its last gasp of air, and the 3DS can play those games anyway)

The 3DS is a smarter choice.
I've had a lot of gripes about it, but it has grown on me in the last year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s