Not open for further replies.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for the past few days, I haven't been able to sleep properly. Even when I finish my boring and long homework, I'm still unable to sleep. Even when I feel sleepy, I'm still unable to sleep. It usually takes at least 30 minutes or more for me to be able to finally sleep. The most reasonable reason why I'm not able to sleep is because of a summer program that I went to last summer. Now, I know that some of you may be thinking "Why the hell would a gamer worry about a summer program?", but it's much, much more than just a summer program.

First of all, my school is completely lame, IMO. It's a small, public, charter school that's filled with mostly Asians (I'm Asian). It's a very strict Middle school with little programs and resources to offer. For some reason, the owner of the charter school thinks that it's best if the school is cheap. That means that the books, chairs - almost everything - are old. We don't even have lockers and we have to bring our own lunch to school. What's more is that we use the "Gym" as a place to eat our lunches in. I'm stuck in this crappy school for the next 4 1/2 years (there's a High School version of the school). I guess you can say that my school is somewhat of an extreme "nerd" camp, because we have the highest STAR Test scores in the city (Oakland). Even though my school is #1, I could hardly give a crap about it.

Second of all, my school is offering a very special summer program over the summer. Apparently, we have two choices. We have to either take a MANDATORY, EPIC FAIL summer program or take the VERY SPECIAL, HIGH QUALITY summer program. The first choice is SAIL (some program that's mainly about math everyday, every week for the next 3 weeks). The second choice is called CTY (Center for Talented Youth). My choice is to take the second choice (CTY) obviously, because I CANNOT handle the everyday-3 week math program. My worst subject in school is Math.

Third of all, I know that most of you guys will think "What the fuck, a gamer worrying about and wanting to attend a summer program that badly?! What kind of gamer is this person?!", but I have my reasons. The most important reason of all, is that most of my AWESOME classmates are going, which means I get to have LOTS of social time at CTY if I'm able to go. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I HARDLY get any social time with my classmates, so that's why I want to go to CTY. There's also a person in my class that I like, so I'd like to have LOTS of social time with her too
smile.gif
. I also forgot to mention that I attended CTY last summer. My first experience at CTY was like no other. It felt like the safest place on Earth. It felt like college. More importantly, it felt like Heaven. CTY had the best activities there, the best food there, and the best teachers and classes there. We had 3 Dances last summer. I've never been to a Dance before, so I failed on the first 2 Dances except the 3rd one (last dance for the summer program). I would also like to make up for my failure at the dances by attending this year's CTY. I've missed my Hall Mates, Class Mates, and Dorm Mates there very dearly, so that's another reason why I would like to return to CTY. This is just absolutely the BEST nerd camp there is.

Fourth of all, I HAVE TO take the SAT to be able to attend this special summer program. Apparently, the SAT is to somewhat measure our levels of education, whether we are talented or not, hence Center for Talented Youth (I think I wrote that correctly. If not, correct me). The score that I am required to get is a score of 600 on the SAT (this score goes for 8th graders, me). I can barely be able to get a score of 600, especially since I got a score of 415 for the last time I took the SAT. I was barely eligible to be able to go to CTY. Fortunately, since I got a score close to the requirements, I was made an Exception to be able to go. This is the most important thing on my mind. This is what keeps me from sleeping because I'm worrying about this THE MOST on my mind.

And here comes the conclusion of this Blog post. The fact of knowing that I can't get a score of 600 due to my stupid self is really nerve-wrecking. I can hardly concentrate on what I'm doing nowadays. I'm amazed that such a program can destroy me like this. Anyways...to the main point...I really need help preparing for the SAT so that I can get a score of 600 or more. To those that have taken the SAT already, can you give me any tips or anything important that I should really know for it? All I'm asking for is Tips on taking the SAT and what I should know.

Also, first Blog post ever.

Just thought I'd express some stuff.

Forgot to mention that I'm even willing to cut free time just to study. That's totally not me :l...

Please help me, guys, you guys are my last resort.

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You live in Oakland? Cool.
smile.gif

Just get an SAT prep book, that's really all there is to it. Glad I'm going to college next year
biggrin.gif
Done with those damned SATs(well, not the SAT IIs).

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
becat said:
You live in Oakland? Cool.
smile.gif

Just get an SAT prep book, that's really all there is to it. Glad I'm going to college next year
biggrin.gif
Done with those damned SATs(well, not the SAT IIs).

Yes I live in Oakland.

SAT prep book...I don't know about these things

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rofl.gif

When I went to 7th and 8th grade my SAT scores were 600 for math and 500 for Language Arts for both years.

And, i'm Mexican.
wink.gif

Come on, you are Asian.
You can do better...
laugh.gif

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bulit said:
rofl.gif

When I went to 7th and 8th grade my SAT scores were 600 for math and 500 for Language Arts for both years.

And, i'm Mexican.
wink.gif

Come on, you are Asian.
You can do better...
laugh.gif
Haha, you did a lot better than a bunch of seniors I know xD

And just get a collegeboard SAT prep book and look through it. That's pretty much the only cheap way to study for the SAT. They're like under $30 I think.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
becat said:
Bulit said:
rofl.gif

And, i'm Mexican.
wink.gif

Come on, you are Asian.
You can do better...
laugh.gif

And just get a collegeboard SAT prep book and look through it. That's pretty much the only cheap way to study for the SAT. They're like under $30 I think.
I never studied once.
rofl2.gif

I'm not really sure what tips to give you, because everyone is different.
unsure.gif

I dunno, but the first thing you should do is move schools.
Those kind of schools just stress you out.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
becat said:
Bulit said:
rofl.gif

And, i'm Mexican.
wink.gif

Come on, you are Asian.
You can do better...
laugh.gif

Heh, I really can't believe people believe in such a thing, that Asians are superior to other races in terms of education and knowledge. I'm not one of those "smart" Asians. That's all I'm going to say. Asians are supposed to be doing good in math? Ah, fuck that, I hate math the most.

$30 for a prep book...lol. I guess I'm going to be doing that when the time comes when I LITERALLY have to take the SAT in a serious manner, far more serious than this.

I haven't encountered the responses that I would love to see. Thanks for the responses, though.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
becat said:
Bulit said:
rofl.gif

And, i'm Mexican.
wink.gif

Come on, you are Asian.
You can do better...
laugh.gif

Heh, I really can't believe people believe in such a thing, that Asians are superior to other races in terms of education and knowledge. I'm not one of those "smart" Asians. That's all I'm going to say. Asians are supposed to be doing good in math? Ah, fuck that, I hate math the most.

$30 for a prep book...lol. I guess I'm going to be doing that when the time comes when I LITERALLY have to take the SAT in a serious manner, far more serious than this.

I haven't encountered the responses that I would love to see. Thanks for the responses, though.
More than half of the students in my AP Math class are Asians.
That's saying something...

And I don't like math either.

Kaero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Because Asians have really harsh math classes. I know that, I'm asian myself. Especially in Vietnam.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, what subject are you taking for math?
Geometry, right?

And the SAT tests don't start until around June.
For now, just pay attention in Math class.

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
Well, for the past few days, I haven't been able to sleep properly. Even when I finish my boring and long homework, I'm still unable to sleep. Even when I feel sleepy, I'm still unable to sleep. It usually takes at least 30 minutes or more for me to be able to finally sleep. The most reasonable reason why I'm not able to sleep is because of a summer program that I went to last summer. Now, I know that some of you may be thinking "Why the hell would a gamer worry about a summer program?", but it's much, much more than just a summer program.

First of all, my school is completely lame, IMO. It's a small, public, charter school that's filled with mostly Asians (I'm Asian). It's a very strict Middle school with little programs and resources to offer. For some reason, the owner of the charter school thinks that it's best if the school is cheap. That means that the books, chairs - almost everything - are old. We don't even have lockers and we have to bring our own lunch to school. What's more is that we use the "Gym" as a place to eat our lunches in. I'm stuck in this crappy school for the next 4 1/2 years (there's a High School version of the school). I guess you can say that my school is somewhat of an extreme "nerd" camp, because we have the highest STAR Test scores in the city (Oakland). Even though my school is #1, I could hardly give a crap about it.

Second of all, my school is offering a very special summer program over the summer. Apparently, we have two choices. We have to either take a MANDATORY, EPIC FAIL summer program or take the VERY SPECIAL, HIGH QUALITY summer program. The first choice is SAIL (some program that's mainly about math everyday, every week for the next 3 weeks). The second choice is called CTY (Center for Talented Youth). My choice is to take the second choice (CTY) obviously, because I CANNOT handle the everyday-3 week math program. My worst subject in school is Math.

Third of all, I know that most of you guys will think "What the fuck, a gamer worrying about and wanting to attend a summer program that badly?! What kind of gamer is this person?!", but I have my reasons. The most important reason of all, is that most of my AWESOME classmates are going, which means I get to have LOTS of social time at CTY if I'm able to go. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I HARDLY get any social time with my classmates, so that's why I want to go to CTY. There's also a person in my class that I like, so I'd like to have LOTS of social time with her too
smile.gif
. I also forgot to mention that I attended CTY last summer. My first experience at CTY was like no other. It felt like the safest place on Earth. It felt like college. More importantly, it felt like Heaven. CTY had the best activities there, the best food there, and the best teachers and classes there. We had 3 Dances last summer. I've never been to a Dance before, so I failed on the first 2 Dances except the 3rd one (last dance for the summer program). I would also like to make up for my failure at the dances by attending this year's CTY. I've missed my Hall Mates, Class Mates, and Dorm Mates there very dearly, so that's another reason why I would like to return to CTY. This is just absolutely the BEST nerd camp there is.

Fourth of all, I HAVE TO take the SAT to be able to attend this special summer program. Apparently, the SAT is to somewhat measure our levels of education, whether we are talented or not, hence Center for Talented Youth (I think I wrote that correctly. If not, correct me). The score that I am required to get is a score of 600 on the SAT (this score goes for 8th graders, me). I can barely be able to get a score of 600, especially since I got a score of 415 for the last time I took the SAT. I was barely eligible to be able to go to CTY. Fortunately, since I got a score close to the requirements, I was made an Exception to be able to go. This is the most important thing on my mind. This is what keeps me from sleeping because I'm worrying about this THE MOST on my mind.

And here comes the conclusion of this Blog post. The fact of knowing that I can't get a score of 600 due to my stupid self is really nerve-wrecking. I can hardly concentrate on what I'm doing nowadays. I'm amazed that such a program can destroy me like this. Anyways...to the main point...I really need help preparing for the SAT so that I can get a score of 600 or more. To those that have taken the SAT already, can you give me any tips or anything important that I should really know for it? All I'm asking for is Tips on taking the SAT and what I should know.

Also, first Blog post ever.

Just thought I'd express some stuff.

Forgot to mention that I'm even willing to cut free time just to study. That's totally not me :l...

Please help me, guys, you guys are my last resort.

Don't worry man, some of the most talented people in the past 200 years did terrible in school and were all around considered to be average. Also if you need help actually getting some sleep find you some equate nighttime sleep aid's in your local walmart or something (they're OTC so you don't have to have a prescription for them). The way i would like at it if i was in your shoes is, if i pass it great, if i don't also great. Intelligence doesn't come from the books it comes from being able to understand whats written on those books.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bulit said:
Geometry, right?

The problem to that is that my school is too cheap to have separate classes for each subject. They just hire teachers that'll teach all subjects at once.

And I'm taking Algebra I, not Geometry.

I'm going to be taking the SAT on December 4th, THIS December.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
Bulit said:
Geometry, right?

The problem to that is that my school is too cheap to have separate classes for each subject. They just hire teachers that'll teach all subjects at once.

Algebra 1 was the most difficult subjects for me.
Why are you in that school if they're so cheap?
SAT tests are coming early for you then.

This website might help you study (yes, it is a real website...):
http://www.algebra.com/

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bulit said:
I am r4ymond said:
Bulit said:
Geometry, right?

I'm in this school because, apparently, Asian parents are attracted to schools that are "#1" which I really don't get why my parents would be worrying about ranks instead of my education. Even if I had picked a fight with my parents, I will not win, as they have far more authority than me obviously.

This SAT is somewhat "special" because it's given to us that want to go to CTY to determine whether we are eligible to go or not. I'm not in it for the test, I'm only in it for the program.
tongue.gif

I'll try that website, and I can't believe how the website's link is so obvious and simple.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
Bulit said:
I am r4ymond said:
Bulit said:
Geometry, right?

I'm in this school because, apparently, Asian parents are attracted to schools that are "#1" which I really don't get why my parents would be worrying about ranks instead of my education. Even if I had picked a fight with my parents, I will not win, as they have far more authority than me obviously.

This SAT is somewhat "special" because it's given to us that want to go to CTY to determine whether we are eligible to go or not. I'm not in it for the test, I'm only in it for the program.
tongue.gif

I'll try that website, and I can't believe how there website's link is so obvious and simple.
Oh, so it's your parents' ignorance keeping you at that school.

Anyway, that website helped me a lot.
And yes, it is a very obvious website.
rolleyes.gif

Studying is all that can help you now, this late into the year.
Also try not to stress out about the test too much.
That's about all I can say...

Good luck!
smile.gif

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bulit said:
I am r4ymond said:
Bulit said:
I am r4ymond said:
Bulit said:
Geometry, right?

tongue.gif

I'll try that website, and I can't believe how there website's link is so obvious and simple.
Oh, so it's your parents' ignorance keeping you at that school.

Anyway, that website helped me a lot.
And yes, it is a very obvious website.
rolleyes.gif

Studying is all that can help you now, this late into the year.
Also try not to stress out about the test too much.
That's about all I can say...

Thanks for the help and tips. I just hope that I don't have to worry about it for now, but I'm still getting the urge to worry about it.

I've already decided that I should sleep insanely earlier than my usual sleep time and cut my gaming time to a minimum or none at all, especially since I know what games can do to people (the destruction of brain cells). I used to be smarter and focused on education when I was younger or in elementary school, but ever since I've been introduced to games, I'm not focused anymore.

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
Thanks for the help and tips. I just hope that I don't have to worry about it for now, but I'm still getting the urge to worry about it.

I've already decided that I should sleep insanely earlier than my usual sleep time and cut my gaming time to a minimum or none at all, especially since I know what games can do to people (the destruction of brain cells). I used to be smarter and focused on education when I was younger or in elementary school, but ever since I've been introduced to games, I'm not focused anymore.
You probably weren't smarter in elementary school, elementary school is just insanely easy.

What section do you need to score a 600 on?

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
becat said:
I am r4ymond said:

You probably weren't smarter in elementary school, elementary school is just insanely easy.

What section do you need to score a 600 on?

It's LG Arts and Math. I'm not sure about the writing (essay), because the last time I took the SAT (took it unprofessionally), we didn't do the writing. Passing with a 600 or more in either section will I be eligible in the program.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I happen to have gone to a Charter school before, and Math was also my worst class (at the Charter School).

They used to give me unreasonable amounts of homework, and my grade average would be at least a C+ or a B-, and the food there was TERRIBLE, and before, the food was OK.

They switched their food providers, and they only switched because it was 5 cents cheaper, and our school wasn't very big, either.

I'm at a new school now, great food, barely any homework, and my grades are SO much better, but the the students there a complete jerks.

There are maybe 3 Asians there, but, even though my old school sucked, I miss my old friends.

The students at my current school only care about relationships and sex, or they tease me for not being Christian (none of the Asians there were anything but Christian).

I'm going to move back to Michigan, and go back to my old school soon, but I'll have to finish 7th grade, first.

I think that cutting down on games will help not only you, but me tremendously. Focusing is key to success in school, but don't push yourself too far, as it also might not be good for your health. I have a cousin that used to be very social and fun, get good grades and everything, but now, all she does is study, and doesn't have many friends, which kind of worries me.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well what do ya know, there's something interesting that my friend found. On the official website of the CTY Summer Program, it has an Eligibility list (http://cty.jhu.edu/summer/caaelig.html). It turns out that the CTY requirement score is 480 and above. I'm really glad that it turned out to be a lower score than a score of 600.

I do not know why I was informed that the req score was 600. On the "So-called Memo" that my school gave me, the req scores looked a little bit suspicious. The reqs were obviously too high. I mean, what's the highest score that you can get on the SAT (not a rhetorical question)?

So yeah, I'm pretty glad right now. My insanity and worriment withered away. I'm still stressed because I have so many assignments and things to be worrying about now.

Well, I shouldn't really be too glad and caught off guard. I'm still going to be studying obviously. And I'm still skeptical about the CTY req score of 480. There will be various ways on how this'll end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1