Worried i might be mentally ill!?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jaxxster, Dec 24, 2008.

Dec 24, 2008
  1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Meh, maybe im over reacting but sometimes i suffer with depression and some odd mood swings. Like usually im a happy dude but then i get into a mood where i just wanna go nuts n destroy stuff just for the fuck of it, Like recently at work ive had the idea of burning the place down. I sometimes get odd delusions thinking that im great and if i wanted i could take on anything. Maybe i have minor bi polar? Who knows. Recently i dont sleep much, just enjoy getting home from work n having a few beers. I'm never out as much, just cos sometimes i cant b bothered.

2. jesuschristmonke

Member jesuschristmonke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Your concerns are well founded and you are right to address them.

Misconception #1 - there is no such thing as Bipolar. It is a ficticious construct created to sell meds whose long-term effects haven't been adequately studied. People they call Bipolar today are whom they simply called assholes twenty years ago.

You won't go crazy unless you want to. Don't play with this until you are at least 70 years old. Then you have an excuse and can beat a jury trial. And nobody will care if you're a lush.

For now find something to bide your time - video games, poontang, writing, harassing neighbors, auto maintenance, memorizing Richard Pryor routines, etc.

The whole "I may be nuts thing" is only for attention and frankly, people's attention isn't worth it. Just enjoy life right now and don't be legally liable for anything.

3. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    Go see a therapist, this really isn't something you can accurately self-diagnose. I suffer with mild psychosis and it took a long time to get under control. If it wasn't for weekly therapy, I can say without a doubt I would have killed myself or someone else by now.

4. JoseGabriel

Newcomer JoseGabriel Advanced Member

Mexico
    beer + not correct sleeping= worst combination.

5. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Sounds like you got some demons to deal with. We all go through that but remember you're stronger than the demons controlling your life!

6. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Parvati said "My dear husband, You know all the transcendental truths, and by your mercy I have heard the glories of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Krishna. Oh Lord, now I long to hear from You the glories of the Srimad Bhagavad-gita, which was spoken by Lord Krishna, and by hearing which, one's devotion to Lord Krishna increases"

Lord Shiva replied "That person, Whose body is the color of a dark rain cloud, whose carrier is the king of birds, Garuda, and Who is lying on Ananta-Sesha, the thousand headed serpent, that Lord Vishnu, Whose glories have no limit, I am always worshipping. My dear Parvati once after Lord Vishnu had killed the demon Mura, He was resting peacefully on Ananta-Sesha, when the bestower of all good fortune of the universe, Sri Lakshmi, respectfully inquired from Him.

7. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Who doesn't have those thoughts? There's nothing wrong with you. If you're really weak minded you could take the american route and go see the rapist, but tbh you'll just be lining their pockets.

8. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Yeah there's nothing wrong with you, people get these thoughts now and then, it's normal

9. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    I'll agree with that statement to a point. It is hard to find a therapist who doesn't just kick back and collect a pay check, but good therapist do exist. Whats important is that you remain actively involved in your treatment. Don't allow people to "handle" you like your just another number. I went through 3 therapist before I found the one that I've been at now for years.

What I do take exception to is the ignorant stigma you are perpetuating. There is nothing weak minded about seeking help for a potential problem. If everyone employed your logic, I wonder how many genuinely ill individuals would go untreated?

10. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Well if it's any consolation, you seemed perfectly fine when I met you for the GBAtemp meetup.

But if you're that concerned, I personally suggest going to see a doctor. However, don't go pushing yourself into anything you feel too uncomfortable with. Being a little outside your comfort zone is an every day part of life, however, being too outside of the comfort zone may end up pushing you in the other direction, into a bad place.

11. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    Honestly if you really feel that it's strong enough to affect your quality of life then tell your family and friends and get some advice from your GP/doctors. Don't feel that you don't have any options in getting aid because you do [​IMG]

12. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    If it's just thoughts, you're okay

13. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    If they can't control their own thoughts then they are weak minded. The ones that can't control their mind are the ones that appear "genuinely ill" and should go to therapists.

14. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    When you're worried you're mentally ill, you ARE mentally ill [​IMG]

Nah, just joking with ya [​IMG] I know a few people like that, and I see nothing wrong with them or their brain health [​IMG]

15. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    All the best Jaxxster... The cold sad winter months aren't very helpful either. Hold on mate. Try to look for the good things in life (okay okay, drinking beer could be one of them)

16. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    ahh well, thanks for input guys! Im probs just stressed from work cos weve got a new manager whos a dick, Just need to get into a good sleeping pattern, Im gunna stop smoking and only drink on the weekends. Gunna eat better too and be more social...last night was great, went pub n drunk copious amounts of cider and saw everyone so i felt much better.

17. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    lol fixed. cider hangovers ftl

good to hear, though.

18. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    haha, merry xmas teej [​IMG] Suprisingly even tho i drunk way too much cider i actually woke up suprisingly clean.

19. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well jaxxster, you seem to have accidently got a plan to fix your delema [​IMG]
    Smoking makes it difficult to sleep b/c it is a stimulant(similar to caffine; wakes you up) and alchohal is fine but in moderation(Like you didn't know that already [​IMG]). If you binge drink though, I would highly reccommend you to stop b/c I remember in my psychology class, your brain tends to get damage in the back similar to a brain scan of a person with schitzophrenia...so yea, moderate your drinking habits :cheers:
    My suggestion would to be just go out and have fun with your friends, drink(not too much), and cut on the smoking at night(all if possible).