Hacking World's slowest NAND dump

stu.mcgroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi folks...

I am using YetAnotherBlueDumpMod to dump the NAND of my wii U as part of the homebrew/cIOS installation process, to a normal 2gb SD card. The problem is the time it seems to be taking - it's been running for an hour and reached only block 88 of 4096. Does this seem excessive? If things don't speed up its gonna take two days! Any advice, or is this ok? I dont remember it taking this long when i softmodded my original wii, but that was five years ago...

Any input appreciated

thanks folks...

(If this is the wrong place to post this then I apologise, let me know!!)

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Wii U NAND dumping is nowhere near as fast as the Wii. With a 2GB SD card that is most-likely low-class that time isn't so abnormal. If you want a faster backup time just use another SD card or be patient.

stu.mcgroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your comments... Without another SD card to try, I'll probably just let it run and see what happens... Can anyone confirm it's ok to power off in the middle of the NAND dump though??

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your comments... Without another SD card to try, I'll probably just let it run and see what happens... Can anyone confirm it's ok to power off in the middle of the NAND dump though??
I wouldn't just to be safe, but theoretically since nothing is being written to the NAND it should be fine.

D

Deleted User

You can power it off. Ran into the same situation years ago. I edited a guide years ago stating not to dump your NAND to the same SD you used to exploit the system for that very reason. The old 2GB SD were just too slow and low a class.

Pick up a decent SDHC class 10 card at any store and it should only take an hour or so.

stu.mcgroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to settle this....

Having just found a class 10 SDHC in a broken phone, I powered off in the middle of the NAND dump (no probs). Restarted NAND dump with new faster SD card, dumping nearly a block a second now :yay:

thanks for your help gents

Wurztha

Admìn MoFo :P
Trophies
XP
Country
So we can dump the Wii U NAND then, can it also be written back via software? I ask as I tried the hardware way and got nothing but a headache...

Is it possible to downgrade using this method? I'm on 3.1.0E and would like to update to 5.3.2E with Mario Party 10 to play some of the latest games. If this works then I can downgrade to 3.1.0E for the IOSU hack once/if it gets released :D

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
So far there's no way to flash it back via software. You can hard mod the eMMC chip I believe but no one has tried to downgrade or flash a backup (well, someone tried but broke another part of their wii u in the process). The backup is mainly for the clean IOS'es and such that come with it.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
So we can dump the Wii U NAND then, can it also be written back via software? I ask as I tried the hardware way and got nothing but a headache...

Is it possible to downgrade using this method? I'm on 3.1.0E and would like to update to 5.3.2E with Mario Party 10 to play some of the latest games. If this works then I can downgrade to 3.1.0E for the IOSU hack once/if it gets released :D
This thread is actually about dumping the vWii part of the NAND, not the Wii U mode NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China