World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are they allowed to do this?

If they told people about this before they signed their contracts, yes.
Otherwise, unlikely.

As long as fees are clearly stated and up front about it (and that GIGANTIC pop up and the line item make that very clear) there's nothing illegal about it. It's not very 'competitive' of course but as a business you can charge fees for anything.

Look at say a concert ticket. You'll see all sorts of odd things like 'restoration fees' 'local theatre' fees already on top of the Ticketmaster fees you pay.

As long as you make the fee clear, and it's stated purpose clear, it's not illegal.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Otherwise, unlikely.
Isn't a business allowed to charge you whatever the fuck they want for their own products?

A business is allowed to charge you as much as the contract you sign says. And not a single fucking penny more.

If you sign a contract for 20€ a month and then charge you 25€ they broke their contract and you can sue them to get your money back (and maybe some extra) and step away from the contract without any consequences.
If you sign a contract for 20€ a month which also says that if you use IE they will charge 25€, then they can freely do so.

So any customer who already has a contract with these guys (in which they were not informed and did not sign to agree to this) could theoretically step away from the contract without any consequences and/or sue.

If the company only applies it to new customers and puts it in the contract and those new customers sign that contract, then they are free to do so. But you cannot charge someone extra after you, as a company, agreed to give them your product at a fixed price depicted in a contract.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Where do contracts
Otherwise, unlikely.
Isn't a business allowed to charge you whatever the fuck they want for their own products?

A business is allowed to charge you as much as the contract you sign says. And not a single fucking penny more.

If you sign a contract for 20€ a month and then charge you 25€ they broke their contract and you can sue them to get your money back (and maybe some extra) and step away from the contract without any consequences.
If you sign a contract for 20€ a month which also says that if you use IE they will charge 25€, then they can freely do so.

So any customer who already has a contract with these guys (in which they were not informed and did not sign to agree to this) could theoretically step away from the contract without any consequences and/or sue.

If the company only applies it to new customers and puts it in the contract and those new customers sign that contract, then they are free to do so. But you cannot charge someone extra after you, as a company, agreed to give them your product at a fixed price depicted in a contract.
Looking at the screenshot, it appears to be an electronics store.

Contracts aren't involved, I don't even know where you got that idea.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Otherwise, unlikely.

It's an online store. They tell you the 'tax' when you check out. It's not retroactive. You buy something and you're on IE7 it blasts that silly warning and you can of course proceed to pay this tax if you want, or just go to amazon.co.uk instead.

Again there's nothing illegal about it.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think they are just trying to force people to update giving them a nudge so to speak. Heck last month I just gave my neighbor 3 computers with XPpro on them because they were still using Windows ME. Some people just don't like to upgrade or can't afford it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I still have IE6!!
which I use only to see how my webpages look on a antique browser that users are still using.
I should get paid for my extra time passed to make IE compatible with my websites ! I'll make a tax on a per visit basis too :creep:

I have IE6 at home, IE8 at work.
Damn, I can't test my webpages with IE7

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw this the other day... interesting and a bit more up front than some of the stuff amazon has pulled in the past. No objections to the move though.

I tend not to make complex sites nor do anything beyond the truly basic to make it is not completely horrible in IE and fortunately most of my clients have no need for legacy software that requires a specific version of IE (IE6 seemed to be the if not preferred then chosen development environment for a lot of corporate accounting and inventory stuff back when)..... just very specific versions of Java but thankfully they are slowly being weaned off those as well.

@Cyan you still can download IE7 and IE8 and beyond should have a "7 compatibility" mode or something similar (granted it is not entirely accurate if what I am told is correct). Personally I have a couple of virtual machines for when I need stuff like this. I suppose there is also http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage but I have not done anything with it yet.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why I am saying this because I really don't believe this article.....but.....................how about someone downloads IE7 and try to buy something from this site and see what happens , compared to the other browsers

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
35a89jl.jpg

Do you see what is missing there ? do you think MS could have a slander case ? Granted , they are only talking about IE7 but I don't see a pic of IE8 or 9 as far as updating the browser goes

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
IE8 and 9 are improvements, but not nearly enough for web devs to start liking them (what with having to have backwards compatibility for sites written incorrectly).

I have IE6 at home, IE8 at work.
Damn, I can't test my webpages with IE7
I think I've already linked you, but if all you need is a static shot of a page, http://browsershots.org/ can do it with many versions.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it could happen at all surely it would be libel (it being written and all) but any competent web dev will tell you that pre IE8 was a nightmare from a standards perspective and they will probably have had to do extra work to make a non trivial site render properly and if that was not enough the ACID3 tests (not especially useful but still a recognised metric) paint an equally dim picture. This adds up to IE7 is very much a lesser browser and can be demonstrated as such kicks the unfounded and/or unprovable allegation in the head.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow... It would be much simpler to upgrade. It should be the first thing people do on a new PC. First thing I do on a new PC is go to IE and go to google then search google chrome. Download and install that shit!

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt