OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
S3ACI.jpg
The Australian online retailer Kogan.com has introduced the world's first "tax" on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) browser.
Customers who use IE7 will have to pay an extra surcharge on online purchases made through the firm's site.

Chief executive Ruslan Kogan told the BBC he wanted to recoup the time and costs involved in "rendering the website into a antique browser".

The charge is set to 6.8% - 0.1% for every month since the IE7 launch.

Reactions: 11 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
"We don't like money. Go away."
IE7's a minority, I doubt this will nearly kill their profits.
But hey, it's good to see a company risking pushing some customers away to make some progress. IE7's over five years old.

Youtube and other such sites already display warnings, this is just a more stern way of doing it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
But hey, it's good to see a company risking pushing some customers away to make some progress. IE7's over five years old.
Yeah, sure, "progress", but they didn't have to be passive aggressive douches about it. "Hey, instead of displaying a notice that IE7 will no longer be supported, let's keep supporting it, but be whiny about it."

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, sure, "progress", but they didn't have to be passive aggressive douches about it. "Hey, instead of displaying a notice that IE7 will no longer be supported, let's keep supporting it, but be whiny about it."
Sometimes you have to raise a fuss to get shit done.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The first time I saw this I laughed so hard! :lol:
This sure is just trolling, I bet they will never tax anyone!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes you have to raise a fuss to get shit done.
But there's a difference between "raising a fuss" and "being a temper-tantrum-throwing brat in the candy aisle".
Choosing to charge extra to the people who use outdated software (that's a royal pain in the ass to support, if you didn't know) while letting them know what's up and offering to let them change so they don't have to pay extra. Considering how much of a pile of shit older IE versions are in web dev eyes, this is rather tame... and it's better for the consumers to be using modern browsers as well.

A store charging extra to people who cause the store extra hassle. I see nothing wrong with that, and it's done all the time outside of the web.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol