'World War Z: Aftermath' to get new Horde Mode XL

horde xl.jpg

A new game mode is coming to World War Z: Aftermath later this month: Horde Mode XL. In this mode, players will face a special XL zombie wave that features over 1,000 of the undead. A recent teaser trailer gives a glimpse of what to expect:

Horde Mode XL follows the same rules as the game’s standard Horde Mode, with a devilish twist — scattered among the normal waves of enemies will be a special XL wave bursting with over 1,000 hungry zombies. You and your team must pull out all the stops to survive this overwhelming and terrifying challenge.

Horde Mode XL will launch as a free update for owners of World War Z: Aftermath on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC this January 24th.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this game even good? I want to assume no considering I forgot this even existed. I don’t think I’ve seen/heard of the game since it was released

Reactions: yoyoyo69

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is this game even good? I want to assume no considering I forgot this even existed. I don’t think I’ve seen/heard of the game since it was released
Yes it is. The issue with Horde shooters is that they all get compared to Left 4 Dead even tho nobody is willing to do better. I've played the campaigns with friends and played some Horde games with randoms. It's fun, it's a good game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I reviewed it for here.
I still played it a lot after the review which is something of a first. I quite enjoy the daily/weekly challenges (devs would select some mutators to change things up a bit and make it a different challenge) and would usually go through them if the PS4 was free. Unlocked all the weapons, got high prestige ranks in many character classes (though medic is my favourite so went back to that and learned it well), had a handful of the hardest difficulty things to do still but that requires getting a good team (most playing there do fairly well but a couple of players with heart not in it and you get tanked). Game morphed a bit into more of a strategy where I learned the beats of each mission, how to work certain situations, where to look for things, where traps might be and all the rest (which does vary with difficulty level) as opposed to relying on the decades of twitchy reactions.

Funkyspectrum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think it's quite good, yes. it's something different and in all honesty this might not be a popular comment but i rank it up there with l4d and aliens: fireteam as one of the best horde survival games. the missions are fun and the graphics are really good. i think it is better with friends of course but like aliens: fireteam i quite often play alone and have a good time !

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New update
https://saber.games/againstallodds/

news article said:
For the first time ever, play as any character in all PvE episodes!

Saber Interactive has released the free Against All Odds update for World War Z: Aftermath, the ultimate co-op zombie shooter inspired by Paramount Pictures’ blockbuster film. Available today on PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC, this latest update adds a host of fresh content, including new “Jerusalem” and “New York” Horde Mode maps, seven new mutators for Challenge Horde Mode, and a new melee weapon: the baton.
Video

It is downloading now (how I found out about it) so have not played it but since the last update that this thread kicked off with I have been having a bit of slowdown/internet lag (even in me and 3 bots online mode, have not tried offline) where I would not before on the PS4 (base model, game installed on external drive). I don't think it is the connection, it still being the same setup as before (I was on holiday for a few months which saw this update drop), though it could well be. Usually when many zombies are on screen/in front of you which is kind of annoying with my usual style of play as a medic where I might gather some aggro, slam a health boost and get all melee weapon happy before spraying my way out with a SMG in a retreat (the late stage 2 rounds loaded in the mag for a headshot perk being wonderful there) as you mostly stop all actions during it and when it recovers what would otherwise have been a normal fight you go through happily you find yourself down or dead. Also I don't know if it got harder or my skills dropped but the daily challenges are often actually challenges now where before it was questionable.

Any character is just a skin by the way and there is no mechanical difference between them. Will be curious to see what characters get picked in this and probably going to make the insane mode a nightmare (no names over players so when trying to play medic you have to figure out who needs the health, in my case usually using the in game scoreboard where normally it is a quick glance for on screen info which takes valuable time/attention). Upgrades to the bots is always nice as well.

I am still playing the game which is something of a testament to how I find it ( https://gbatemp.net/review/world-war-z-aftermath-edition.1954/ was late 2021, online games rarely holding this kind of long term appeal). The weapons system got a fairly radical overhaul with the update. I am not sure about some things as the old version did present a nice choice to ponder in a lot of options (between silenced vs unsilenced with more power, and the crazy blue coin bonus options it was quite notable) where here it is more of a standard upgrade path with a few still interesting choices in the perks you pick to cater to a style of play. It is an improvement but not a perfect one.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/world-war-z-aftermath-horde-mode-xl-impressions.626238/ was KiiWii's impressions of the horde mode XL (me being a puny PS4 player means I have not really had such things, not that I played horde mode much to begin with).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.