Gaming World of Goo uses joy con like a Wiimote (pointer)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Source is various tweets and videos. What's really interesting is how you align the joy con with the pointer on screen simply by setting it down on a flat surface first. The game uses the touchscreen while portable.

Lazyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
one thing i dont understand.. if motion controls are so powerful on new joy-cons.. why does botw dont support them..

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
one thing i dont understand.. if motion controls are so powerful on new joy-cons.. why does botw dont support them..
Because that game was developed with the Wii U Gamepad in mind, not with the Joy Cons montion controls'.

Then, they removed all those dual-screen features in favor of the Switch's one screen, but adding Joy Con controls would be harder with everything already set.

Maybe in the future they could develop and release a patch of adding the support.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It does use gyro for aiming with the bow and moving things with shiekah powers and etc. Obviously it's limited in some ways for parity with the Wii U version, as others have mentioned.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
World of goo? One of the 4 added games for eshop today. Set of games that i wasn't expecting. So wii like games will exist on switch? Does that mean a usb wii sensor like accessory will be made soon?

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
World of goo? One of the 4 added games for eshop today. Set of games that i wasn't expecting. So wii like games will exist on switch? Does that mean a usb wii sensor like accessory will be made soon?
You don't need a sensor bar for this kind of motion controllers.

It's like the Wiimote Plus, once you calibrated it, there was no use for the sensor bar.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think we'll see this control style in games and segments where it makes sense to include them, but not on a really large scale overall. As I mentioned in the OP, you only need to set down the joy con on a flat surface to orient it, you don't need a sensor bar. It uses gyros and the IR sensor on the back to track itself.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we'll see this control style in games and segments where it makes sense to include them, but not on a really large scale overall. As I mentioned in the OP, you only need to set down the joy con on a flat surface to orient it, you don't need a sensor bar. It uses gyros and the IR sensor on the back to track itself.
Well that sounds a bit off to me. So the way i see it. You have the right joycon, it has a sensor in the bottom of it. Lets for example say this could be the wii sensor like thing instead of a usb dedicated one. Then you have the left joycon to actually control it, (As like wii mote) and that is a work around for being like a wii? Pretty smart to do but odd is like this. :unsure:

Wanna play wii sports? Set your right joycon on the tv, then use the left one to go bowling. :creep:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well that sounds a bit off to me. So the way i see it. You have the right joycon, it has a sensor in the bottom of it. Lets for example say this could be the wii sensor like thing instead of a usb dedicated one. Then you have the left joycon to actually control it, (As like wii mote) and that is a work around for being like a wii? Pretty smart to do but odd is like this. :unsure:

Wanna play wii sports? Set your right joycon on the tv, then use the left one to go bowling. :creep:
Sorry, still some confusion here: a single joy con tracks itself, you only set it down for a moment to calibrate/orient it when the game first starts, then you can pick it up and use that same single joy con as a wiimote. You don't have to position the other joy con or any kind of sensor.

I'm only seeing KoF94 and Splatoon beta on eshop! Am I missing something? E.U btw.
AFAIK some of these new titles are releasing a little later in Europe, although you can make a US account/profile to bypass that.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, still some confusion here: a single joy con tracks itself, you only set it down for a moment to calibrate/orient it when the game first starts, then you can pick it up and use that same single joy con as a wiimote. You don't have to position the other joy con or any kind of sensor.

AFAIK some of these new titles are releasing a little later in Europe, although you can make a US account/profile to bypass that.
Cool cheers, anything good come out?

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's just KoF94, World of Goo, Human Resource Machine, and Little Inferno. I'm tempted to re-buy World of Goo but I've already had my fill of the other games from this dev.
Ah cheers, disappointed tbh. What is with KoF94 when 98 is already on there!

I was looking at Binding of Isaac+ but then saw the price!! Switch titles are being priced crazy if you ask me, Binding and Bomberman would have been guaranteed buys from me at £20/$20 price range, new non indie releases at £40/$40 but these prices are ridiculous.

The only thing I will say though is this is the first console I've ever bought at release, so I don't have much experience with launch titles/prices. I normally wait about 12/18months.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was looking at Binding of Isaac+ but then saw the price!! Switch titles are being priced crazy if you ask me, Binding and Bomberman would have been guaranteed buys from me at £20/$20 price range, new non indie releases at £40/$40 but these prices are ridiculous.

The only thing I will say though is this is the first console I've ever bought at release, so I don't have much experience with launch titles/prices. I normally wait about 12/18months.
To be fair, BoI Rebirth + Afterbirth + Afterbirth+ will run you $36 on Steam without a sale. Would be nice if they let you just buy it piecemeal on Switch though, as I don't care much for AB+ and skipping that should save you like $10.

Pricing seems like it will continue to depend on the dev/publisher. March 28th is the next good release day IMO, both Has-Been Heroes and Snake Pass will be released at $20 each.

Reactions: Risingdawn

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, BoI Rebirth + Afterbirth + Afterbirth+ will run you $36 on Steam without a sale. Would be nice if they let you just buy it piecemeal on Switch though, as I don't care much for AB+ and skipping that should save you like $10.

Pricing seems like it will continue to depend on the dev/publisher. March 28th is the next good release day IMO, both Has-Been Heroes and Snake Pass will be released at $20 each.
Fair point, I didn't realise it was a package tbf but it's still too much for me take a punt on if I'm honest.

This is why I normally wait a good 12months, there's normally a good selection of titles at reasonable prices with a release momentum built up by that point.

I can see myself shelving the switch for a bit and coming back once there are actually some games, Nintendo got a good start out the blocks this time but they've got a hell of a way to go yet and I just don't see indies and ports winning this race for them.

They need to be releasing some proper games and at prices comparable to PS4/XBOXONE and quickly.

Maybe I'm just being impatient and inexperienced though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: just found out theres osu for nintendo ds