• Likes 4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Notice why their resistance to herbicides is being increased - as to kill the weeds, not the crops. It allows you to have better and more crops from a smaller plot of land by not wasting the soil's resources on plants that shouldn't even be there. The plant proper which you intend to cultivate is resistant to the herbicide but nothing around it is. ;) But yes, I see how this is a counter-point to the whole run-off problem.

GMO has been a disaster, it has lead to monocultrure, crop failures, 250,00 suicides in india,
at least poison on the outside can be washed off, BT corn has pesticide producing bacteria inside thats cant be washed off
most GMO is made for one reason, to sell round up ,glyphosate , they are made to be herbicide resistant to glyphosate by monsanto, which sells glyphosate and glyphosate resistant seeds ,terminator seeds that they own the patent for that will not produce seed producing crops
there are plenty of documentaries about how bad GMO is.
You're being naive and ridiculous - GMO is produced to create larger quantities of a better quality product using less resources, that's all there is to it. Just as much as FAST I am yet to see a single piece of evidence that could prove the "evils" of GMO and I have researched the subject.

Reactions: Gahars

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monoculture has been a problem for hundreds of years, crop failures were completely unheard of, suicides... going to need some evidence/qualifications for that one.
There are fairly large and important agencies tasked with ensuring safety for consumption.

What was that picture supported to demonstrate? GM rats can be designed to have tumours.

I have yet to see any of these documentaries that I would put forth as any reasonable evidence. I certainly have serious issues with a lot of what Monsanto have done, and continue to do, in the patent world but most of the things you have just said would make a poor jumping off point for a search let alone an actual position.

Similarly what are your opinions on selective breeding?

"There are fairly large and important agencies tasked with ensuring safety for consumption." ROFL

2rd7sra.jpg

going to need some evidence/qualifications for that one.

selective breeding if fine, as it does not involve recombinant DNA technology ,transgenic mutations

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see the conversation has devolved to the level of meme-posting now, okay, cool story bro. ;)

I'm sure that massive, multinational agricultural conglomerates choose GMO over standard seeds not because they yeild larger, better quality crops for less money but because they allow them to spend more money on herbicide. :rolleyes:

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just bullshit alarmist drivel. If I'm wrong, then I'll buy everyone in this topic a chocolate bar in 2021.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Notice why their resistance to herbicides is being increased - as to kill the weeds, not the crops.
...and douse everything in ever increasing amounts of herbicide, something GM was supposed to help avoid, not reinforce.

The plant proper which you intend to cultivate is resistant to the herbicide but nothing around it is
Nothing, that is, until selection gives you herbicide-resistant superweeds. Which we will then combat with more toxic herbicides, and crops modified to withstand them, and the arms race goes on and fuck the soil and ground water, who needs it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...and douse everything in ever increasing amounts of herbicide, something GM was supposed to help avoid, not reinforce.
Very true, which is why herbicide use restrictions should be in place and future GMO farmers should be educated in terms of proper cultivation techniques.
Nothing, that is, until selection gives you herbicide-resistant superweeds. Which we will then combat with more toxic herbicides, and crops modified to withstand them, and the arms race goes on and fuck the soil and ground water, who needs it.

Very real although distant danger, see above.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"There are fairly large and important agencies tasked with ensuring safety for consumption." ROFL

2rd7sra.jpg

going to need some evidence/qualifications for that one.

selective breeding if fine, as it does not involve recombinant DNA technology ,transgenic mutations

It could possibly represent a conflict of interest and I am sure it would be monitored, however bosses are not necessarily representative of the organisation and getting a person in with some experience in the field is better than a lot of things manage.

On India I shall have to read further. Mainly as companies have an interesting history in developing countries (Nestle and substitute breast milk in the last 70's probably being one of the more notable variations on the theme) and if it was sold as a unequivocal cure all or something along those lines (we already know India's food, drugs and similar people are not that great at their job), however business going bad and people being unable to handle it (especially the poorest in society) is hardly a new thing either. Likewise pests evolving, again assuming due diligence, is not a new concept either. We are also heading down a practice vs theory/underlying concept tangent so that might have to be separated out a bit. Similarly you do not have to sell me on the idea that a lot of Monsanto are not the sort of people I would really want to go for a beer with.

What is the specific problem with recombinant DNA technology and transgenic mutations then?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It could possibly represent a conflict of interest and I am sure it would be monitored, however bosses are not necessarily representative of the organisation and getting a person in with some experience in the field is better than a lot of things manage.
He's a former vice president of Monsanto, and while yes, he more than likely still has connections in the business and yes, it is sort of suspicious that this is his next immediate occupation and might create a lobbying situation, we have no proof of any kind of wrongdoing. On the same basis we could assume that Reggie Fils-Aime is going to be partial towards Americans of Italian origin because he used to be Pizza Hut's Senior Director of National Marketing. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He's a former vice president of Monsanto, and while yes, he more than likely still has connections in the business and yes, it is sort of suspicious that this is his next immediate occupation and might create a lobbying situation, we have no proof of any kind of wrongdoing. On the same basis we could assume that Reggie Fils-Aime is going to be partial towards Americans of Italian origin because he used to be Pizza Hut's Senior Director of National Marketing. :)
I see a flaw in your argument; Pizza hut is pizza in the same way taco bell/time is mexican food.

Reactions: Foxi4

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very true, which is why herbicide use restrictions should be in place and future GMO farmers should be educated in terms of proper cultivation techniques.

Very real although distant danger, see above.

your getting this already , plants are already getting resistant to round up , plus the levels of herbicide are already elevated to dangerous levels in gmo food

"Very true, which is why herbicide use restrictions should be in place and future GMO farmers should be educated in terms of proper cultivation techniques."

LOL , again

2rd7sra.jpg

"I see the conversation has devolved to the level of meme-posting now, okay, cool story bro. ;)"
so what it is a meme it does not negate the facts, they are a valid effective means of conveying ideas ,just because most of them happen to be silly

you dont get it, the whole purpose of GMO, was to create corporate dependence and to sell glyphosate and create dependence and to monopolize the seed market and food production , they are not interested in bettering society they are interested into making money, they are a business , not a charity quit being so naive

it is a revolving door they created ,they are the FDA , if their products are so great and so wonderous and beneficial to the world ,if they are so philanthropic then why do they need to do shady shit like install their executives to run the FDA ,ever hear of a conflict of interest

if they truly were beneficial to society then they would not need to be shady and control the FDA, they would not be worrying about being regulated , they would not be regulating themselves , any one with 2 firing neurons can figure out they have something to hide

besides ,your from poland, i thought that GMO was banned over there and in most of euorpoe

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm afraid the 2 neurons necessary to figure things out are currently having a nap in someone's head, weatMod, and it's certainly not my head. ;) Farmers wouldn't buy GMO seeds if they did not produce better crops - it's demand that generated supply and not the other way around. GMO is full of exciting possibilities not only in terms of diets but also medicine and more, I'm not going to be scared of it because of some ill-founded fears and FDA-related conspiracy theories.
besides ,your from poland, i thought that GMO was banned over there and in most of euorpoe
It's not outright banned, it merely has to be labled as a GM food.

I just read up on it. As of this year, the sale and cultivation of two GM varieties of corn and potato (MON 810 and Amflora) as well as the sale of GM seedlings is banned, however importing GM seedlings, their cultivation (outside of the banned varieties) and sale of the fruit and veg continues to be legal.

Zeliga

One step closer.
Trophies
XP
Country
Milk chocolate will always be there, even if there's no cocoa trees. But, sadly, legit 75-95% dark chocolate is in danger, which is the only healthy one out there. Sad news.

Yea dark chocolate is really good I dont know why people dont like it :ohnoes:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yes, like "don't fall for this herbicide-resistant bullshit". Incidentally, restricting the use of herbicides would render the herbicide-resistant crops completely pointless, because increased/indiscriminate use of herbicides is their main point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of GM as a technology, I'm just against the use some companies put it to, like Roundup Ready.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of GM as a technology, I'm just against the use some companies put it to, like Roundup Ready.
Oh Veho, trust me, I'm anything but an advocate of indiscriminate use of herbicide and pollution for the sake of pollution and much like yourself, I support GM technology, mostly for its future prospects.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid the 2 neurons necessary to figure things out are currently having a nap in someone's head, weatMod, and it's certainly not my head. ;) Farmers wouldn't buy GMO seeds if they did not produce better crops - it's demand that generated supply and not the other way around. GMO is full of exciting possibilities not only in terms of diets but also medicine and more, I'm not going to be scared of it because of some ill-founded fears and FDA-related conspiracy theories.

haven't they banned GMO crops in poland and most of euorpe?
i am not saying it could not be a beneficial technology, but i am am saying it is not going to be beneficial in the hands of big corporations like monsanto.

as far as them wanting to buy the product , i think alot of them are forced to because there is a near monopoly on GMO with certain crops like corn and soy
there is not much choice, plus they lock farmers into a contracts for years or decades
if they dont like it they are already stuck in a contract to keep purchasing it

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
haven't they banned GMO crops in poland and most of euorpe?
i am not saying it could not be a beneficial technology, but i am am saying it is not going to be beneficial in the hands of big corporations like monsanto.
Ah, finally we speak a common tongue - I was afraid that you were being a fear mongerer scared of GMO just for the sake of being something "new" as most people scared of science in general. You are correct - GMO should serve for the benefit of mankind in general, not corporations and its use and direction of engineering should be controlled towards our benefit.

As for the ban, I edited the post. It's not a total ban - certain GM foods are banned, but not all of them and seedlings can still be imported, but I'll double-check on that. It's a shame that people are so scared of GM foods that they choose to reject them fully rather than take the reigns and reap the possible benefits - fruit and veg engineered to become the best possible nutrition, free of disease and defects and easy to grow.

EDIT: To elaborate, my problem with your approach is that you're looking for a solution backwards - if the problem is lobbying herbicide use then it's herbicide use that has to be approached. GM plants which only increase herbicide resistance and have no other beneficial traits are pointless in areas where use of herbicide is unnecessary or where there are other, better alternatives and as such, should these should be restricted from circulation except for areas in which they are an absolute necessity. GM engineering should progress towards increasing beneficial traits of plants such as their nutritional values, speed of growth, resistance to weather, size etc., not just herbicide resistance.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Off/T: Well that can't be said for all the E-waste we are producing that a six foot Gundum is not likely to be build by highly intelligent individuals. This 2020 bs, government is already 500 steps ahead of us. Always remember that!

On/T: The government already solve that problem before it became one. They will sale the chocolate by three categories coming around 2015. To impure - purest form.
4. Recycled chocolate (Unused chocolate products after their expiration date remelted again while adding some few cocoa bean into the mixture giving it a fresh taste despite of the slightly bitter after taste. You
will never tell unless it says R-cocoa on the label)
3. GMO chocolate (This chocolate has been tested to keep the product from spoiling over long periods of time. The chemicals inside the product may hinder the taste of chocolate while still tasting highly resembled to chocolate)
2. Commercialize chocolate (These products will contain very little to no chocolate at all. The taste of chocolate is chemically made by using cost-effective methods to mass produce the product with a wide range of hype and media. Mostly used to sell it at the kids for their blissful ignorance on the taste for chocolate.)
1. Genuine/Real Cocoa Chocolate (The chocolate will be bought by a decent price you will find in a pair of jeans or jewelry. However the potent the product is, the most expensive it will become. For just 1oz of chocolate will be around $25-50 so it won't be cheap and will still keep an active cocoa plantation from being extinct with more robust methods of keeping it thriving and natural)

So like I have said, the government already have taught of this long before this problem came to light.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16