• Replies 121
  • Likes 4

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only things that have chocolate on them is Jaffacakes.
And that's teh only thing I really really love.
Seeing that their only sold in the UK, I can't miss then due to being unable to get them.

And yeh I agree.
Government shutdown is an perfectly valid excuse to party c:

Jaffacakes! Jaffacakes!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Milk chocolate will always be there, even if there's no cocoa trees. But, sadly, legit 75-95% dark chocolate is in danger, which is the only healthy one out there. Sad news.
Milk chocolate still has to have at least 25% cocoa solids to even be considered a chocolate, so I can't see why you'd think it'll "always be there". That, and dark chocolate is blerght anyways - I have no love for it, I'd rather have three bars of milk chocolate instead of one bar of dark chocolate. I never buy'em, my family always gets'em as gifts, we only eat'em when there's literally nothing else that's sweet and edible that could satisfy a sweet craving (except my mom who inexplicably likes it)... unless it contains dried orange peels - that's pretty damn good. Out of all chocolate, I enjoy white chocolate the most though. Mmm... Chocolate... :wub:
Or you know, we could just grow more?
The whole point of this article was to explain that they physically cannot grow more, or at least not enough to match the demand - they're running low on space.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is TERRIBLE news. Screw possible oil shortages...this one's WAY more important!!!

This is actually an oddly valid approach. There are substitutes to oil that we already know of - natural gas, shale gas, electricity... what substitutes are there for chocolate? Sure, there are other sweets, but there's... only one chocolate. ;O;

//Overdramatizing
Yeah, because that comes from chocolate cows.

Well d'uh! They get preferential treatment, that's why their milk is so sweet!

6IXDL0n.png

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"They warned that the world would need the equivalent of another planet Earth to fill the gap needed to keep the chocolate industry going."
So in a way, you're completely correct. If they had the space, they would have no worries supporting the demand. As it is now, they can grow it, but not at a rate that will keep the shelves stocked.
The way the title is phrased it's made to sound like cocoa will be gone forever whereas in reality supply will just be limited/scarce.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You start stockpiling and you choose to stockpile that vile muck?

Oh well I will add it to the list after coffee and tequila.

To FAST's credit, a lot of Hershey's chocolate can no longer be legally called chocolate, rather a chocolate-flavored sweet which makes a world of difference in terms of cocoa content, but at the end of the day what really matters is the flavor and if soulx likes Hershey's then... well, nobody can blame him - they're world-famous sweets. ;)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's not actually running out of chocolate (it comes from a plant...) it is just that demand has exceeded the ability of the plant to keep up with.

Then it comes down to economics.

The price will rise and demand will fall to levels that can be supported by the plant.

Edit: I was worried it was another banana situation, for those that do not know there is a fungus currently destroying the plantations of the world so we might have to switch to a different breed of banana's like they did in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_disease

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol