Hacking Working Wii U, broken disc reader, great price. Buy?

• Thread starter Deleted-384698
  • Start date
  • Views 2,087
  • Replies 7
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted-384698

OP
I have fond memories of the days when I got into hacking and homebrew on my PSP and original Wii, I want to do more of that again, when I found out there was a community behind the Wii U I decided I want to get into it, but I'm not made of money so I'm trying to skimp where I can.
I found a 32GB Wii U that is working in all ways except a disc reader for 60 USD, it's been sitting disconnected for quite a while as the listing says, I asked the seller what the firmware is at but he hasn't got back yet, but there might be a chance it's 5.3.2 or lower as it's apparently been untouched for a while.
If this console turns out 5.3.2 or lower, is this a 60 dollars well spent toward pursuing my homebrew hopes and dreams?
What is the best way you know of to acquire a Wii U that might be hackable?

Reactions: supermalloch

link270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be a great buy for sure. That's what I ended up doing, got a good deal on a Wii U that was used. I was so lucky when I booted it up and it was 5.3.2!

Please remember though, you will have to also purchase a gamepad, which are pretty pricy as well, and probably cables and stuff if they don't include them.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have fond memories of the days when I got into hacking and homebrew on my PSP and original Wii, I want to do more of that again, when I found out there was a community behind the Wii U I decided I want to get into it, but I'm not made of money so I'm trying to skimp where I can.
I found a 32GB Wii U that is working in all ways except a disc reader for 60 USD, it's been sitting disconnected for quite a while as the listing says, I asked the seller what the firmware is at but he hasn't got back yet, but there might be a chance it's 5.3.2 or lower as it's apparently been untouched for a while.
If this console turns out 5.3.2 or lower, is this a 60 dollars well spent toward pursuing my homebrew hopes and dreams?
What is the best way you know of to acquire a Wii U that might be hackable?
Yes, you'll just need to rely on eShop and homebrew loaders for everything.

Reactions: Deleted-384698

yahoo

G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's not on a convenient firmware for hacking, you can't update to 5.3.2, for example because disc drive doesn't work and only most recent firmware is available online. So make sure it's on a firmware you are comfortable sticking with before you buy.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even if it's 5.4.0 that will be good as well. So i'd say go for it. Even if it's greater than 5.4.0, there are exploits coming out in the near future for higher firmwares, it's a safe buy.

D

Deleted-384698

OP
There is a good chance it might not be on 5.3.2 or 5.4.0. So... eh.
We'll see when he responds I guess. I just remembered I have a GTX 970 sitting in a computer I originally intended to sell but is being used by my grandmother lol, I don't think she needs it so I'm just gonna sell that shit and get the money for the Wii U, that brings me back to, how do you think is the best way to acquire one on the correct firmware?

I guess I'm wondering, if I bought a unit brand new, would it come pre updated?

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'll see when he responds I guess. I just remembered I have a GTX 970 sitting in a computer I originally intended to sell but is being used by my grandmother lol, I don't think she needs it so I'm just gonna sell that shit and get the money for the Wii U, that brings me back to, how do you think is the best way to acquire one on the correct firmware?

I guess I'm wondering, if I bought a unit brand new, would it come pre updated?
It won't come pre updated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1