Working on Bokura no TV Game Kentei translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by mumeix, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mumeix
    OP

mumeix Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    United States
    i've got my text dumped (it's all Shift+JIS, which makes life eaiser,) but i'm curious about something. when i type in the text in my hex editor, it does not show up in game. if i use the ASCII letters (which take up two hex values,) then i'm worried about space issues. any suggestions? also, i'm using WindHex for my hex editor. is there a better one out there?

2. Noitora

Noitora ::

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    You have to change the pointers.They are usually in the beginning of the file you dumped the text from.

3. mumeix
    OP

mumeix Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    United States
    great! is there a guide to doing this? i've not worked on anything like this in a long time :S

4. Noitora

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
  5. mumeix
    OP

mumeix Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    United States
    thanks for the help. the information is good, but now my head hurts [​IMG] if anyone out there has time to look at the game i'm working on and give me some clues as to wtf i'm looking for, let me know! [​IMG] until then, i'll keep working on it until i have a solution.

6. Noitora

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    I'd be happy to help but I can't since I'm stuck on 56k.

7. Yugge

Yugge GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2007
    Sweden
    Wow, I was looking at this game yesterday thinking to start a translation, but I've never done any DS romhacking (or current gen rom hacking at all). But now that we are two, maybe I can take a look at it [​IMG]

8. Noitora

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    What kind of game is it?

9. mumeix
    OP

mumeix Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    United States
    it's a mix between retro arcade games and wario ware. you play mini arcade games with different goals in a set time limit. there are various genres (RPG, Action, Shooter, etc.) and they are mixed up in to eight games per "level"

10. Noitora

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    Sounds groovy maybe I'll dowload it since it's about 7 megabytes long.

11. mumeix
    OP

mumeix Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    United States
    [/quote]
    Sounds groovy maybe I'll dowload it since it's about 7 megabytes long.
    [/quote]

it's a pretty fun game. if you do download it, and get a chance to look at the pointers, let me know [​IMG] i'm still working on figuring out how to change them. in the past, i've only done the translation and graphics editing side on projects, so i'm a bit new to ROM hacking anything newer than an NES game lol

12. Noitora

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    OK,I will and I'll post my results.

13. mumeix
    OP

mumeix Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    United States
    thanks! i'm going to continue working on translating the text for now. i don't think it will take all that long.

**EDIT**
    from what i can tell, i need to somehow add ANSI support to this ROM... any one have a suggestion on this?