newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Current Candidates for the replacement of the word "difficulty" in the main menu include;
Campaign, World, League, Championship, Challenge, Area, Grand Prix, Course

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
only a couple weeks before the december release date for version 2!

Beta 1.121
. changed the way how the ship turns when using the analog sticks so that it is more stable.
- difficulty menu is not labeled "championship".
- optimizations and bug fixes

Testing Build Download: test build.

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
8 days left until Dec 1st. fixing last minute bugs and updating the splash screens. let me know if I forgot anyone.
splash_1.png
splash_2.png
splash_3.png
splash_4.png

Reactions: banjo2

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
And I will celebrate! Your game is great! Been out of the loop for a while, sorry for it.

Congrats, my friend. The imagery is striking.

You should explore doing this for the Switch and sell it.
Aaaand I didn't do anything to warrant a shout out in the game. :)

Last edited by eyeliner,
Reactions: banjo2 and newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
And I will celebrate! Your game is great! Been out of the loop for a while, sorry for it.

Congrats, my friend. The imagery is striking.

You should explore doing this for the Switch and sell it.
Aaaand I didn't do anything to warrant a shout out in the game. :)

thanx. every one helps make the game what it is! testing, feedback it all helps. who knows where it would be without your testing early on. the game has come along way since april.

switch? heh, i wont have enough time to take on such a project. these new consoles require lots more work to get even simple games running.

Reactions: banjo2

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
apparently i broke the motion controls and the italian start button; fix is already up. same version number. or should I change the version num? https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Newo_Zero
In my experience it's always better to change the version number, unless you find out about a bug immediately after releasing. Otherwise you'll end up with people confused, leaving messages on threads you might not even be aware of.
It would be a shame to "tarnish" the reputation of that game even a little bit. 😊

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just played it and it was very fun. The graphics, audio, and overall presentation are excellent, and the gameplay smooth and enjoyable. I liked how the swoosh sound effect that plays when you pass another car is in stereo even. Nice attention to detail :D

I also found a glitch and demolished the leaderboard with it... sorry lol. When you finish a track and it asks you to press the "continue" button, you can instead just mash the B button to keep giving yourself points. I did it while playing with the wiimote horizontally, but didn't try out the other control options.

Reactions: newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@diggeloid I;ve been looking for that bug FOR AGES! thank you for figuring it out. And thanx for playing. Make sure you play the game on NORMAL and HARD modes because the tracks are different and BETTER!

@crabycowman123 its not open source but if you have questions about how its made and how it works I'm always willing to share the technical details about the game. especially if you plan to make something for the Wii!

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@diggeloid fixed the bug. that stereo woosh sound was actually added after version 1 in april 2021 when I took a break from wii homebrew and spent 6 months just polishing the game with suggestions from mr repear and other people in this thread. It seemed like a minor thing at first but really brings the experience together.

Version 1 was a bit rough around the edges but was a necessary step in the dev process. The six months I spent just messing around with the code really helped solidify the little details that you see in the current game.

in the future I might work on allowing other things such as the signs above the track to also produce a soft woosh effect. thanx for pointing out that bug!

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually played a bit earlier today, and managed to complete arcade mode :D Those tunnels looked sick! The levels were definitely nicer than the ones in easy mode.

I also discovered that I either suck at this, or it's hard af. 12 levels is a lot to beat, especially since death means you lose all progress. It wasn't clear (at least to me) that your score would upload even if you don't complete all 12. I thought I had to finish all levels to upload my score (which is why I did the glitched run on easy). It's possible some people might've quit early if they thought the same thing.

You know that clicking sound that plays when you drive close to the wall? I thought that meant I was earning more points, but it seems like that's not true. Still, it reminded me of a racing game I played a while back that rewarded you points for near-misses with other cars. I think that'd work well in this game, maybe also with the wall-hugging thing. Only issue would be that it'd affect the leaderboard's competitiveness if the cars spawn randomly...idk, just a thought!

Btw, if you ever decide to port this somewhere and need some help/advice, hit me up! I've been knee-deep in that whole world lately.

Reactions: newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I actually played a bit earlier today, and managed to complete arcade mode :D

Of course the game is hard. Easy mode is just there for you to wet your feet. Some might even think that the game is entirely easy which is why the menu text was changed from "difficulty" to "championship" in order to emphasize that they are all different. It was refered to as the "dark souls of driving games" once, lol.

The beeping sound was added incase you wanted to play the game blind. It doesnt affect the score. The only thing that affects score is driving as fast as possible or doing a perfect lap without hitting the walls.

The score gets updated every time you die or if you reach the end of level 12. Most players dont care about the leaderboard so its not emphasized in game.

Players seem to quit because they cant handle the ship. Or the game is too fast/unforgiving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a...