OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Beta updated to 1.128
I am mostly working on stablizing the framerate and getting rid of some screen tearing that I see when you turn. It seems to be cause by the 128 bit MP3 files - might have to downgrade them to 48 bit.
Testing Download: test build.

Reactions: zfreeman and banjo2

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really cool. I just tried out the latest beta and while I'm terrible at the game, I had a lot of fun.

I played on Dolphin with stereoscopic 3d, for the most part everything displayed correctly, it was really cool to see the depth of the track.

One comment - the damage (I think that is what it is?) is a bit strange to me. It just flashes white slightly. My personal suggestion would be maybe to add some pixel particle effects instead?

One question - is two (or more?) player planned? It'd be neat to have some sort of split screen.

Thank you for this. Really great to see this in 2021.

EDIT: realized I wasn't loading all the assets. Once loaded, I have to say the game is really pretty for being so simple. Fantastic work.

Last edited by wiiAdventurer,
Reactions: newo and banjo2

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@wiiAdventurer The game should look like the screenshot below. The game is fast-ish. Some people find the game super easy and others find it hard to control - its confusing which is why the game starts in the easy cup/mode. Once you get accustomed to the handling it becomes very easy. Usually it is the wrong choice of controller or camera angle. Try using something with a analog stick. No plans for split screen in the comming release - maybe next year.

screenshot_20210714221209.png

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, it's really nice. I played up until level 8 today. Do you have any non-city-scape levels? I love the city levels but can't help but kinda want a few with rolling hills / trees and water like you show off in NewoSky (imaging driving through some water with pixels going everywhere)

One other suggestion, if possible, could you add a "No culling" option under debug? If so, that'd be really nice. A real Wii might not be able to handle it but Dolphin likely could with a memory or CPU overclock. At worst, this would allow to fly around with FreeLook to really appreciate the visuals. At best it'd mean headtracking/VR could be a possibility in the future. Could reduce some of the minor pop-in that occurs.

Thank you again for all your work!

Reactions: newo and banjo2

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@wiiAdventurer the entire theme of the game is sythwave/nightcity shiboya. Level 4,8 and 10 are slightly dfferent in that they have no buildings but the general theme of the game is all at night. The graphics would not work if the background is not dark. NewoSky/NewoFox is a whole different game engine with optimizations which cater to the style of game. NewoZero has to be fast since you are travelling and turning so quickly. The other games are slower so I have more time to draw trees and such. On the wii hardware you really have to dig in and comitt to a concept if you want to get the most out of the hardware. Trying to do

If you leave the game at the start screen for 16 seconds it plays itself like a arcade box and switches camera views but a "no culling" option is possible.

screenshot_20210831134103.png

screenshot_20200611101007.pngscreenshot_20200614082517.pngscreenshot_20200612181653.png

Reactions: wiiAdventurer

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Beta updated to 1.16
Beta Download: test build.

screenshots;

screenshot_20211014184703.png
screenshot_20211013092419.png
screenshot_20210928102140.png

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Over the past 6 months that the v1 of the game has been out people have been really getting into the game. While other players still cant beat the first stage and give up. Not sure I how I can make the easy levels easier - possibly I could make then easy stages shorter - not sure. The addition of the arcade+expert mode is certainly not gonna help with the players having difficulty with the handling. I could probably add a "easier" mode but its much easier to add harder levels, lol. There is no perfect game - I cant make a game that everyone can enjoy unless its one of those mobile games.

screenshot_20210928103459.png

Reactions: banjo2 and matt!

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
The wii scene is not doing all that well but everyone adds their bit to the scene. Maybe in a couple years it will be truly retro. The aesthetic of this game really started when cyberpunk came out and I wanted to do something along that line. Once I settled on the dark-city-wireframe look I just stuck with it for a couple months and this is the result.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beta updated to 1.16

Whoa. It hasn't been that long since I played last but maybe I'm misremembering, it seems like the visuals got a big upgrade? I replayed the easy cup (I should really move on to another cup...) and absolutely loved the skyline of level 4! Additionally, I really liked the final level (12), it almost seemed like there were waves on the side of the track. It was really fun aesthetically. I also like that the course is really long, it was really satisfying to wind back and forth through the turns (the course was big enough where I wasn't afraid to go too fast).

Maybe this was intentional but I noticed for the course selection, you can't choose the final level (12)?

Also, it could be a bug with Dolphin but if not, a suggestion would be to add a "retry" option after finishing a course. Right now I only see "continue" and I wanted to retry the final level after I finished!

Reactions: banjo2 and newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@wiiAdventurer you probably played it back in april when v1 was released. I've been working on it on and off since then. I've updated this thread a couple times but I guess screenshots do not convey everything there is to see in the game. You really have to play the new version to see the differences.

Its been like 6 months? and I've fixed most of the jerkiness when cornering and added some extra polish. A few changes added after the april launch was that level 4 and 8 have no buildings in the background so you can see the grid and the sun all the way in the distance kinda inspired by star wars tatooine sunsets except my own take on retro 80s sythwave. The final level is special which is why you cant select it from the level select. Plus the final level is extra long - its as long as the longest levels in the game. It provides extra challenge for those who make it to the end of the game.And yes the you are driving along a grid ocean.

You cant "retry" a course unless you crash or start over. it would mess with the score you get for completing the course. If you like a track you can always set it as the start level but of course you cant start at the last level. Also you should note that only the "easy" tracks are short, all the other difficulties/cups have longer tracks with the "hard" mode being the longest.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you probably played it back in april when v1 was released. I've been working on it on and off since then. I've updated this thread a couple times but I guess screenshots do not convey everything there is to see in the game. You really have to play the new version to see the differences.
I actually did try this for the first time like 3 weeks ago. That's why I was a bit surprised, the changelog didn't seem to indicate any visual changes outside the signs. Maybe, I'm just misremembering and was blown away all over again :)

You cant "retry" a course unless you crash or start over. it would mess with the score you get for completing the course. If you like a track you can always set it as the start level but of course you cant start at the last level. Also you should note that only the "easy" tracks are short, all the other difficulties/cups have longer tracks with the "hard" mode being the longest.
Ah ok, that's good to know. I guess I should try one of the other cups!

And yes the you are driving along a grid ocean.
Nice. If you recall, I was wanting some water and hills a while back. This certainly scratched that itch!

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@newo - I want to apologize. I enjoyed easy cup a lot but assumed the rest of the cups were similar but more difficult.

Little did I know that normal cup would introduce a giant tree, underground passages, and so many twists and turns. I'd see things and felt like I was on a roller coaster. This is magnificent. I could see so many other cool additions, hope you have plans for more :)

Anyway, I'll keep playing, hard cup is err hard. I need to get better. Thanks again for this wonderful game. I'm going to show it off to my friends!

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@wiiAdventurer I designed it to be a simple game. But I guess its easy to assume that there isn't more to it. The game originally started on normal cup/mode but it was decided that people needed more time to get accustomed to the physics/handing so it defaults to easy. Easy makes it a quick pick up and play game but more challenges exist for those who want more.

Reactions: banjo2

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I think it would be good to change the "difficulty" menu title to something else that may better suggests that the cups are
different and not just harder, what is a more appropriate word? FZero uses League. But league seems like it might not translate well resulting in people not picking the menu at all (which would be worse than assuming that that the cups are just harder),

Reactions: wiiAdventurer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.