Working on a Mod of JKSM

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ShinyMK, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ShinyMK
    OP

ShinyMK known as @initPRAGMA

Dec 29, 2015
    So I dont like when apps have too much un-necessary features for such a simple app.

JK's Save Manager had too much Extras. For example, Having the ability to Export "ExtData" and "System Titles" I see why they are added but for me and most users no one will use them, especially for System Titles as there's no System Title worth exporting the save from.

Another example is the un-necessary Play Coin editor (Plenty other apps out there for it),
    And another is the un-necessary naming of the Folder, Just have it auto-set to the current Date and Time. No need to give it a custom name as its gonna be deleted/re-imported soon enough anyway.

So my version is currently just a *SLIGHT* UI re-work. Stuff you see in the GIF below will not be the final version.

Downloads wont be available until I get it finished (Sorry!), This thread is mainly for you guys to tell me what you want removed/changed (NOT ADDED) and I may do it.

Animated Example of whats done so Far:

[​IMG]
    (Last Modified: 6/30/2016 - 5:30am GMT)​

Last edited by ShinyMK, Jun 30, 2016 - Reason: stuff
  2. ShinyMK
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Updated the .GIF preview image. What you guys want changed?

3. Inorizushi

Inorizushi *yawn*

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Well I'd prefer that the background wasn't a straight #FFFFFF, something like TempDARK's bg color would be nice.

Also, I actually prefer having the play coin editor in. Less apps, the better.

Wojton, Raylight and PF2M like this.
  4. Shadowhand

Shadowhand GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2016
    I'd love it if it used /homebrew/3ds/JKSV as paths, and not kill my eyes in the process :P

Gray_Jack likes this.
  5. Ricken

Ricken Crawling from Hell, Falling from Grace

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    If you're going to strip a few features, then please make a 3dsx of this

Last edited by Ricken, Jun 30, 2016
  6. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    I like the naming of folders. Date and time wont help me remember my wifes, or friends saves, vs my own

Posghetti likes this.
  7. Shadowhand

Shadowhand GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2016
    The latest release of JKSM has 3dsx now

Ricken likes this.
  8. Ricken

Ricken Crawling from Hell, Falling from Grace

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    From 15 hours ago...
    *facedesk*
    Well, this does look even more noob friendly, so that's a plus :P

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Umm... Mii Plaza?
    And ExtData is needed in some cases, for example Fantasy Life saves everything in extdata.
    And some games use ExtData for saving certain types of progress, for example I believe Bravely Default/Second uses it to save rebuilding progress.
    Some people just like having everything in one app. One less app to install is a good thing especially with such a small feature that could easily be covered by existing apps.
    I sort of agree on the name thing though, you should keep the ability to use custom names but make date/time the default, as sometimes you may want to name a backup but most of the time date/time is good enough.

I'm sure many people won't use some of these features but they are not there for no reason. ​

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jun 30, 2016
    Koko-Kun, Joel16, Darkrai and 2 others like this.
  10. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    I'm heard you're working on a push to move homebrew to that folder structure? Ironically I just got done reverting that change in the latest release of JKSM in a fork because there was some dissatisfaction over the change on Reddit (and my own personal dissatisfaction). I'd be really interested in hearing why you'd like to move the already established 3ds folder as the home for homebrew to a three level deep folder and how many other homebrew developers you've convinced to try doing this. If you've written about it somewhere else or on your GBATemp blog, a link would be fine too.

oiie likes this.
  11. Shadowhand

Shadowhand GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2016
    I haven't got a written thing yet, just bits and pieces scattered through the various threads, but I'm writing a thread as we speak. It will explain the initial idea, and why that path.

EmperorOfCanada likes this.
  12. temper999

temper999 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Until now only JKSV is using the new folder structure for me. So at the moment I also prefere the old path.
    So I am using @AnalogMan release.

oiie likes this.
  13. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    i really don't see the point of this. those features are just necessary in certain situations. seems silly to have to install a second app if you ever run into that situation.

Koko-Kun, Joel16 and PF2M like this.
  14. ShinyMK
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Yes ill be making it a 3DSX too;

Ricken likes this.
  15. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    Does it bug you so much that like..you can't stand the sight of a menu entry that you'll never use? Like..it's not like @JK_ put Extras at the top, he put it at the bottom so you literally never have to even scroll past the option.
    As some others stated, naming saves is a great thing. If I would want to have 2 different Pokémon games going on, I can give them unique names to separate them.

I have a feeling that you just wanted to edit some code and then put something out there no matter what it was :P

Xenon Hacks, Koko-Kun and Joel16 like this.
  16. ShinyMK
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    "you can't stand the sight of a menu entry that you'll never use?" yes
    "it's not like @JK_ put Extras at the top" Correct
    "As some others stated, naming saves is a great thing. If I would want to have 2 different Pokémon games going on, I can give them unique names to separate them." for me I never need them to be unique, If I want to have 2+ saves I can get ti to auto-generate the current date and time with miliseconds so it cant be the same folder. Easy, If I wanted them to be named according to the game I could also have that be auto-generated and like other uses said about saying "Cousins Save File", "My Save File" as names or something like that then who cares, I could just edit that on my PC or something as the only time you would need to name it like that is if your storing it somewhere safe.

" have a feeling that you just wanted to edit some code and then put something out there no matter what it was" No, Im editing this cause I just want a quick app where I can press A a few times and maybe Dpad a couple times to export/import a save. Thats literally all I need. No extdata or anything like that. I know to some people this may seem redundent removing some features which could be handy but to me hell no, I will never be using them and if I do ever use them (PlayCoins etc) I have other apps for that.

17. ayanekochan

ayanekochan GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    Can you also justify the text on upper screen to the left?

18. ShinyMK
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Do you mean Center it?

19. ayanekochan

ayanekochan GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    No, like move it to the left side. It always bothered me that it's just floating in the middle of the screen.

20. ShinyMK
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Oh! I know what you mean. Personally I see it the other way around I think it looks better if it was to the center of the screen. But I can try move them to the left and see how it looks.