Hacking Working NTSC injection of Mario All-Stars!

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, after somewhat extensive reseach and trouble shooting i was able to get a working NTSC of all-stars injected into DKC2, ive seen alot of requests for this all over trackers, search engines and even on these forums. Howver i would like to make a new banner for it before upp'ing it for all. i was able to successfully change banners on other channels, rin, snes etc but teh VC seems to be different, i even went as far as extracting banner.bin and icon.bin from the pal verson and repacking into ntsc but still no luck, any help on the banner me and many others would greatly appreciate, ill provide the working file if somone can help us out. Or even a link to a Tutorial/Tools needed on it. THANKS!!
wacko.gif

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
why do we really need a vc channel of this when an emulator can run it smoothly?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jan777 said:
why do we really need a vc channel of this when an emulator can run it smoothly?
the VC channel is still better at times, with stuff like gfx glitches n graphical quality

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Channel supports HDTV progressive scans and looks much better as well as being MUCH easier to use imo. Personally i can handle the emu's but some people cant understand them nor care to, while a VC channel is very easy to use, and i want all stars channel over all 5 other channels cause it looks much better and saves wii system memory

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a copy of Allstars for a while now (ntsc-u) The thing people have been waiting for is the banners/e-manual version which came out for PAL but not NTSC. Talk to jayparadox and see if he will give you some tips on making banners since that's one of his specialities.

Good job on getting the process right though. It isn't easy to successfully inject a title and even extract the banner files.
grog.gif
Cheers!

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
And you just have to click play to play the game. The emulator one: run twilight hack/run back/wait/wait/load game/load sram(state)/play. Of course you can use the SNESchannel.
rolleyes.gif

AND you fill the blank papery thingies on wii screen!
bow.gif
bow.gif

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can probably reinject the manual into an NTSC version if someone releases a bannered NTSC version first. Problem is I can only test Pal and I have screwed it up a couple of times before it worked.

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks jinxvorheeze, i have already sent jayparadox a pm previously^^ hopefully we can get some help, its kind of annoying seeing like 5 copies of DCK2 on my wii to play games lol. i dont even care much for the guide, i would just really like to know what save game files to what and see a pic of the correct all stars banner

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whizz said:
I can probably reinject the manual into an NTSC version if someone releases a bannered NTSC version first. Problem is I can only test Pal and I have screwed it up a couple of times before it worked.

Once i can get a working banner'd version, ill hit you up for the manual to complete it^^ would be awesome, thanks!

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, talk to jayparadox. He created Super Smash Bros. for the VC with banner and Manuel!

I need to PM him and ask him to do one of Zelda Master Quest so it doesn't overwrite Zelda OOT.

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jm9760 said:
One request...Could you use the version of Mario All-Stars that includes Mario World as well?

got ya covered, i meant that from begginging but i guess was unclear my fault
smile.gif
it is all stars + world (i wanted to put all i could into the one rom)

I have PM'd jay paradox but no response as of yet, im sure he's a busy man as well ^^

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skater4599 said:
Jm9760 said:
One request...Could you use the version of Mario All-Stars that includes Mario World as well?

got ya covered, i meant that from begginging but i guess was unclear my fault
smile.gif
it is all stars + world (i wanted to put all i could into the one rom)

I have PM'd jay paradox but no response as of yet, im sure he's a busy man as well ^^

Thanks!

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well did some more looking around and reading, I've found the banner.tpl which i believe is the save game icon, and was able to resign that with MD5 back into the wad, but i cant get any tools to open up the banner.bin or icon.bin (which i beleive are the channel you see on wii menu and the enlarged version when you click the channel) anyone else have any other info? or know of tools i can use to open these up? if i can get into those and be able to repack those correctly (i think) i might have all the needed tools to finish this, i also found the manual but have no clue or tried to touch it yet

xdeadxpoolx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this info is all over the forums, i cant be bothered to look for it but the banner.tpl is teh save icon, teh banner.bin and icon.bin are simply compressed files, look around teh forums i think the title header was banner injection success or something, ill edit the post later.

Edit: everything you need to know http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=86539

knewknow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ummm.... I've been using a bannered NTSC version with Mario World for about 2-3 weeks now. The only thing is that the banner doesn't flash from "SNES" to the picture, it's just a static photo of the All Stars title screen. Works perfectly though, I cleared Mario World last week.

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the links, alot of good info there, i have read through there and used your mini tutorial you put there, but was stuck at same place, cannot get banner.bin unzipped, and im no coder and have no idea how to use python
frown.gif
have you gotten a succesfull release yet of any channel? im just stuck.

@knewknow hmm very intersting ive searched all over for that, foudn nothing, any clues?

xdeadxpoolx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsfgd said:
neonix said:
teq said:
neonix said:
Has anyone made any progress on decompressing the banner.bin yet? JP, any suggestion? You must know a way.

WiiBrew posted a Python script that is supposed to unpack the banner files, which are LZ77.

It's a pain to use and I hate the formatting of Python, though...

As I said earlier in the thread, the script is yielding errors for reasons beyond my understanding.
there are some tools out, for example gbalzss, u must remove the IMD5 Header and the "LZ77" to get it to work
just use this command to unpack these files:

gbalzss.exe d banner.bin banner.arc
gbalzss.exe d icon.bin icon.arc

they are normal U8 files, or better the real name "arc" files, to unpack them don't use any custom tool, they don't work fully, you will need darchD.exe from Wii SDK.

QUOTE(SkyDX @ May 17 2008, 07:00 PM)
First of all, thanks for your your great Banners JP. I understand that it's probably too dangerous to release a public tool for now, but could you give me the file specifications for the pictures and music?

I'm a BIG Secret of Mana fan and would love to have a channel of it, however the only channel released of it shows up as DC2. I'm not bad at Photoshop and Audio Editing software so I could provide you with nice pictures and music for a SoM channel so you would just need to inject them if you would be so nice and make one.

it's not dangerous, he has no tool, i released a tutorial on banner making on a german forum

the Picture is a normal Gamecube TPL file, for correct converting use tplx.exe from GCube emu, to reconvert it you will need TCSEdit.exe and TexConv.exe from Wii and GC SDK
for the sound you will need to extract samples and then convert it, its a standard GC format.

don't ask me how to get this tools, and don't ask for a tutorial, my english is not good enough to explain it.

this is the quote from the other thread i mentioned earlier, i know that tools out there, its one of teh ones i tried to use. i think it migh tbe in a GBA rom hackin website (dont quote me on that)

Skater4599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:

Thanks to some members i did find a working banner'd version of mario all-stars + world, my original injection was with DKC2 and it took 96 wii blocks, i found some usefull info as i was going through posts, all-stars +world works perfectly injected into harvest moon snes game, which 1. makes it much smaller at 50 blocks, and 2 allows the tools to open the banner.bin file and allow replacement of the banner files with u8extr(google it) and u8pack and tplconv. even got save game pic working this way.
and this allows for future injects and just maybe be able to create some more banners using that wad instead... just a thought for those of you who have tried this previously and want to be able to create your own banners. I would post a link to a good tut i found, but not sure if its allowed so im not gonna

Oh, and the banner works perfectly, not solitare pic it alternates between super nintendo screen and all stars pic.

Now im gonna hit up whizz, see if he can inject the correct manual for us^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol