Working Hook Type List for Cheats

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Slimmmmmm, Mar 4, 2011.

Mar 4, 2011
  1. Slimmmmmm
    OP

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I'd like to hear any devs of USB/disc based loaders and WW/VC loaders opinion on this. Anyone can make suggestions, but the devs of official releases are most important imho.

IF..(I've not started yet)... myself or other were to list game IDs and the hooktype needed for a cheat to work would anyone consider implementing it into a loader ?

Without knowing this, I wont spend any time and I'm sure no one else would.

So if there were to be EG a hooktype.txt made, would any official release be interested, or would it be a waste of time requiring people to recompile each release.

There are many ways we as a community can go about this, anyone can start making a list, or some other things some coders could do.

The idea of this is to save time (lol not for me though) but people in the end would load a loader, download cheats, make a GCT and IF a known working hook type was listed then it would be auto, if not we could hope they would try each type and report the working one(s)

This would save a lot of questions from people too lazy to try each hook type, and also a lot of time for people that need to restart a few times over until they find the working hooktype.

I KNOW this is NOT important, but is kinda a unique idea that in some ways is easy although tedious for contributers. imho it would add quality and remove hassle.

Anyway....thoughts...suggestion ?

2. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    the only sensible place to store such info is the file containing the cheats
    that way the author dont need to change multiple files

and while we're at changing cheat handling:
    could you loader coders please make cheats and networking mutually exclusive

3. Slimmmmmm
    OP

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    hmm it might be a good idea to redo the hundreds of cheats and on a line # add a digit that denotes the hook type.

so maybe the third line would be 1,2,3 etc 1 being gc pad, 2 being another etc.

It would save a list file needing added, but might be more work for some....hmm interesting though.

I did think of this myself, BUT some devs wont want it, and it would cause problems then if their loader had a file with the hooktype ID# in it.
    ~Also some people get pissed if you try to change a cheat file they made and redistribute it. So your idea might be harder to manage.