Workarounds for Skyrim (PS3 version)

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
tn_gallery_255_3_330999.png
If you have acquired the PS3 version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you may already be suffering from serious lag issues which occur after about halfway into the game, or roughly a hundred hours of play time. As explained previously, the issues actually occur on all platforms but are more obvious with the PS3 version because of its limited amount of RAM; only 256 megabytes are available for game data on Sony's console.

It's a very complex problem and that cannot be fixed as easily as one would wish, but Bethesda have said they will be able to resolve the issue in a later patch. In the meantime they have issued the following recommendations:
  • Disabling automatic saves seems to help, especially with large saves
  • Free up some space on your hard drive, make sure you have at least 2 gigabytes for caching
  • Use the "wait" feature in the game for at least 30 consecutive days if you want the game to "forget" game elements such as item and character location and position, places you've visited and so forth.
These tips were posted by Bethesda's Senior community manager over at their official forums.

Reactions: 1 person

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Although the PS3 version does look prettier than the 360 version, I'm getting pissed off at the lag. I've taken a break from the game until something is done about it.

I have the PC version too (to mess around with mods and stuff after I've finished the game once), but I don't want to have to start over considering how little free time I have lately :(

But thanks for the heads-up, I'll definitely give this a try.

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that Bethesda has a history of not fully testing their games on console hardward before release. Consider what happened to Fallout 3 as evidence.

The game is finished but they must have expected a heavier hardware spec without checking it out first. The QA divison for Bethesda seems to be run very poorly.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Disabling automatic saves seems to help, especially with large saves

This won't help large save files at all which is only adding to the problem

Free up some space on your hard drive, make sure you have at least 2 gigabytes for caching

I have almost 200gb free, I doubt that will resolve the problem

Use the "wait" feature in the game for at least 30 consecutive days if you want the game to "forget" game elements such as item and character location and position, places you've visited and so forth.

I doubt that will help the lag much, but I. Will try it anyway, the only thing that helps is restarting the game.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You got something wrong there. The PS3 has 512MB of RAM available. The problem is that it's splitted in 256MB XDR Main and 256MB GDDR3 VRAM.

Does everyone knowing this fact change anything?

If you prefer having false information in an article, be my guest :)
Err... "only 256MB available to the game" means that the game can only use 256MB. And that's exactly what's happening there, since the other 256MBs are reserved as VRAM (that the game cannot directly use to store data). Thus, the article hasn't got any false information in it.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Sucks... I bought the game on my PS3. However I've not even fired it up. I finished it on my PC instead :) But that's only because I just purchased new gfxcard. hehe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...