Homebrew [Work in Progress] Fibbage3DS - A party game you can take on the go!

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
bQMnkhc.png

FINAL UPDATE 11/19/15!!!

This project has moved to LIEbel, an entire rewrite with absoultely no copyrighted assets being used. Check out the thread here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-liebel-the-3ds-bluffing-party-game-fibbage-clone.403553/

UPDATE 11/16/15

Hey guys, long time no update.

I've lost interest in this project for quite a while ever since being defeated by the implementation of a video library. Also I wrote this pretty shittily using things like .bin for images, raw audio, and just bad coding practices to get an alpha out.

I'm glad to announce a planned rewrite of the whole back end, and hopefully implement .wav (for audio), .png (for transparent sprites), .jpg (for backgrounds), and .jpgv (for videos). I've dabbled in all of these formats separately and plan to try and implement them all at once in a brand new, cleaner code. I've also been working on creating my own assets from scratch so that it can eventually be considered my own work entirely (can't get in trouble for copying the idea of the game, right?)

Stick around for an update or two, but keep in mind I'm still at school for another month or so.

Original Post
Download the most recent alpha build of Fibbage 3DS here. (Testing purposes only, report bugs if you like but as it's in development still I'm likely aware of them already!!)
Most recent build: a08.25.15

Hello, all!

I'd like to make my first progress post to inform people of my first 3DS project, Fibbage3DS. What's Fibbage, you ask? It's a party game from the makers of You Don't Know Jack, where you have to bluff to fill in the blank of a weird fact! The objective is to make a lie that's convincing enough that other players would choose it, while avoiding fake answers yourself. This trailer should give you a pretty good idea of how it works.

Anyways, my 3DS implementation is based on the concept of pass and play: you pass it between players so that they can enter their lies/choose their answers without other players seeing.

It's nothing to write home about, mainly because I've been running into some major issues including:
  • Unable to play sound without crashing (I've tried pretty much everything) Sound is working as of v08.22.15!
  • Unable to play video (Glitchy as hell, never mind)
  • Lack of knowledge regarding implementing certain features
  • General noobish programming practices
Anyways, here's a short sample video of my progress, as well as an image gallery showing it running on a real 3DS (no fakery here, people! Okay, I lied. The audio in the sample video is edited in since Citra doesn't have sound emulation. But it works on a real 3DS, promise!)

If anyone with more homebrew knowledge than me could help me out with some of the issues I'm having, I'd greatly appreciate it and be sure to credit you for the assistance.

EDIT: I've attached my most current build, just since I have no reputation here and would like to change that by proving myself. ;)

Please note that sound and video is removed, since it's massively buggy at the moment. There's probably a few bugs I'm aware of, such as adding an 8th player crashing it, duplicate categories, etc. Basically only download this as a sneek peek, don't expect too much.

EDIT2: Bugfix ;)
EDIT3: Moved to Google Drive, build is now too large for post.

Last edited by LeifEricson,

controlepw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you! This is the product of about a week's worth of effort, and honestly I wish I could've gotten more accomplished in that time but it's been a real learning experience so far, and progress is slowly accelerating.
how have you started the homebrew? i mean do you already have any experience with coding?

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This looks amazing (this could be a actual game on eShop) the homebrew scene is really becoming better over time :)

Hope you'll release the source code when you're finished so others will be able to learn from it!

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This looks amazing (this could be a actual game on eShop) the homebrew scene is really becoming better over time :)

Hope you'll release the source code when you're finished so others will be able to learn from it!

I definitely will include the source code, but it's nothing to get too excited over. It's pretty sloppy right now and uses a conglomeration of copied & pasted code snippets along with my rather hasty programming shortcuts.

how have you started the homebrew? i mean do you already have any experience with coding?

As stated above, not all of the code is from scratch (that'd be near impossible). At its very core, it runs on a heavily modified graphics engine taken from AlbertoSONIC's 3DS Tic Tac Toe (random, I know!) It also uses some video code from Rinnegatamante's lpp-3ds for the video streaming. Of course, yours truly worked on a lot of the back end code; I'm studying Computer Engineering at school and am fairly competent in C.

It's basically as if I took all of the good home brew source code and threw it in a blender. (Of course, all sources are credited. I'm no theif!)

I love Fibbage, and I think it's a great idea for the 3DS. However, watch out; you're intentionally copying copyrighted work...

I've considered this. I'm going to add a splash screen disclaimer, but just in case I've already considered three possibilites:
  • Jackbox Games doesn't discover this because it's too obscure. No changes needed, but there's always a chance they can discover it later.
  • Jackbox Games, being rather laid back developers themselves based on some social media content I've seen, allow the assets to be used. No changes needed, but I can stop worrying!
  • They ask me to remove all of their copyrighted assets, in which I happily will, and make my own (they can't really copyright the idea of the game, right?) Worst case scenario, but not the end of the world.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I definitely will include the source code, but it's nothing to get too excited over. It's pretty sloppy right now and uses a conglomeration of copied & pasted code snippets along with my rather hasty programming shortcuts.

As stated above, not all of the code is from scratch (that'd be near impossible). At its very core, it runs on a heavily modified graphics engine taken from AlbertoSONIC's 3DS Tic Tac Toe (random, I know!) It also uses some video code from Rinnegatamante's lpp-3ds for the video streaming, and of course yours truly worked on a lot of the back end code. It's basically as if I took all of the good home brew source code and threw it in a blender. (Of course, all sources are credited. I'm no theif!)
Very nice! Source code doesn't have to be great, but people can still see how you did certain things and learn from that, even if you didn't do them perfect ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As stated above, not all of the code is from scratch (that'd be near impossible). At its very core, it runs on a heavily modified graphics engine taken from AlbertoSONIC's 3DS Tic Tac Toe (random, I know!) It also uses some video code from Rinnegatamante's lpp-3ds for the video streaming. Of course, yours truly worked on a lot of the back end code; I'm studying Computer Engineering at school and am fairly competent in C.

It's basically as if I took all of the good home brew source code and threw it in a blender. (Of course, all sources are credited. I'm no theif!)

I've considered this. I'm going to add a splash screen disclaimer, but just in case I've already considered three possibilites:
  • Jackbox Games doesn't discover this because it's too obscure. No changes needed, but there's always a chance they can discover it later.
  • Jackbox Games, being rather laid back developers themselves based on some social media content I've seen, allow the assets to be used. No changes needed, but I can stop worrying!
  • They ask me to remove all of their copyrighted assets, in which I happily will, and make my own (they can't really copyright the idea of the game, right?) Worst case scenario, but not the end of the world.
They can't copyright the idea. Tough I think they could copyright certain specific aspects of the game, like how things look and such but that shouldn't be a problem if you were to design the graphics yourself (if they don't allow you to use their assets.)

Reactions: HaloEffect17

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Very nice! Source code doesn't have to be great, but people can still see how you did certain things and learn from that, even if you didn't do them perfect ;)

They can't copyright the idea. Tough I think they could copyright certain specific aspects of the game, like how things look and such but that shouldn't be a problem if you were to design the graphics yourself (if they don't allow you to use their assets.)

True on both comments. As for the copyright thing, I really don't think it's that much of an issue anyways, considering their games are pretty much designed for parties and for streamers to use (hence only one person in the group has bought the game.) Hell, two of their games allow literally hundreds of players to play and are marketed for streamers (Lie Swatter and Quiplash.)

Reactions: MRJPGames

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a little bit of an update guys, I've finally got sound working. Video is still buggy, might need to go back and look at the source code for lpp-3ds... Now my focus shifts back to the back end and getting the rest of the game loop completed. I'll update the main post when there's more significant progress, but do look out for the occasional update as I attach newer builds of it!

clemull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
bQMnkhc.png

Download the most recent alpha build of Fibbage 3DS. (Testing purposes only, report bugs if you like but as it's in development still I'm likely aware of them already!!)
Most recent build: a08.25.15

Hello, all!

I'd like to make my first progress post to inform people of my first 3DS project, Fibbage3DS. What's Fibbage, you ask? It's a party game from the makers of You Don't Know Jack, where you have to bluff to fill in the blank of a weird fact! The objective is to make a lie that's convincing enough that other players would choose it, while avoiding fake answers yourself. This trailer should give you a pretty good idea of how it works.

Anyways, my 3DS implementation is based on the concept of pass and play: you pass it between players so that they can enter their lies/choose their answers without other players seeing.

It's nothing to write home about, mainly because I've been running into some major issues including:
  • Unable to play sound without crashing (I've tried pretty much everything) Sound is working as of v08.22.15!
  • Until today, unable to play video (BARELY, for the sample video I've provided)
  • Lack of knowledge regarding implementing proper fonts
  • General noobish programming practices
Anyways, here's a short sample video of my progress, as well as an image gallery showing it running on a real 3DS (no fakery here, people! Okay, I lied. The audio in the sample video is edited in since Citra doesn't have sound emulation. But that's it, I promise!)

If anyone with more homebrew knowledge than me could help me out with some of the issues I'm having, I'd greatly appreciate it and be sure to credit you for the assistance.

EDIT: I've attached my most current build, just since I have no reputation here and would like to change that by proving myself. ;)

Please note that sound and video is removed, since it's massively buggy at the moment. There's probably a few bugs I'm aware of, such as adding an 8th player crashing it, duplicate categories, etc. Basically only download this as a sneek peek, don't expect too much.

EDIT2: Bugfix ;)
EDIT3: Moved to Google Drive, build is now too large for post.
How do you use the keyboard ,which API?

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
How do you use the keyboard ,which API?

It's a secret. Can't tell. ;)

But no, seriously. I made it myself by literally displaying a static image and then detecting the individual coordinates for each of the keys. It was painstaking, but brought a pretty genuine looking keyboard.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

But no, seriously. I made it myself by literally displaying a static image and then detecting the individual coordinates for each of the keys. It was painstaking, but brought a pretty genuine looking keyboard.
This is a very good idea! You actually fooled me. I thought you managed to call a keyboard api :P

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Had the same idea for pictochat but i figured it was to much work for now, that i can always ad it in the future.
Nice work, looks really proffesional

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night