Work Experience

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I did 2 weeks at a banks HQ in their Derivatives and Swaps dept.
I think the point of short Work experiences is to find out is what you want to do, is REALLY what you want to do.

Two weeks of shredding, drinks machines and more shredding was pretty boring. In the second week, I was allowed to do more; less demeaning work, such as set up correlation curves and finalise swaps, but I realised finance was probably not for me.

I was pretty young at the time, so maybe I didn't get enough out of the experience as I ought to, if i went back there now.

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
My work experiences have been at Nintendo Official Magazine (twice, both times while it was still under EMAP), Gamesmaster over in Bath and local papers and stuff.

Journalism course at Uni next year ftw. (Y)

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I did work experience at a computer repair company and it was awful, one week before xmas holidays '99 and we had to test over 200 computers to make them Y2K compliant.

Since then I've worked as an IT tech and sales assistant at Game and Gamestation.

Need a job now as I have little money and 4 months holiday when my first year at uni ends 3 weeks today.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I worked at a thrift shop fixing small electrical thingies for 10 years.
I can make a lamp out of anything.
It's hard to make that sound good on an application though.

My current goal is working as a teacher's assistant in special needs classes while I school for a certificate at night.
Either some form of IT or teaching..

I can teach you how to make a lamp out of a server... there, that sounds good!

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
You have a government job and yet, while on the job, you frequent a website that has a strong focus on piracy...
Good job
tongue.gif

i also worked for an isp for 5 years and then for a law firm as a it manager for 2 before taking this job

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
We did 1 week of work experience in Yr 12 (age 17-18). The first placement they assigned me was in a care home
ohmy.gif
I know I should probably be jealous that a mate pulled enough strings to get a placement with Pixar but I was thrilled to bits; I got to swap to the placement she was originally assigned. An ICT 4-day placement that had something to do with autocad. Allegedly. When I got there they put me on office admin stuff for the whole week, I didn't even see a computer running autocad. I spent most of it sitting around doing nothing cause apparently filing should take much longer than it did. Right.

In other words: short work experience is a farce, because employers won't take you on without it yet you spend the whole time twiddling your thumbs or doing the shitty stuff that doesn't even require an ounce of brainpower to do. How that implies you'd be a good person to hire is beyond me. Placements that last a month or two, now those are useful.

Caoimhin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I worked at a thrift shop fixing small electrical thingies for 10 years.
I can make a lamp out of anything.
It's hard to make that sound good on an application though.

My current goal is working as a teacher's assistant in special needs classes while I school for a certificate at night.
Either some form of IT or teaching..

I can teach you how to make a lamp out of a server... there, that sounds good!
Let me be your adept/novice/student/whatever. Teach me, oh great mthrnite!

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On an off topic notice. When you think that you're a horrible loser. At least remember this.

I got turned down for a job at a call centre.

Yeah. Yeah. I know.

Why would I want a job in there?
I was desperate for money

Why I get turned down?
Receptionist lost my CV and the interviewer asked me to remember everything from it. I couldn't remember the most. And they never sent me a letter saying I didn't get the job which really fucked up my expectations.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Currently working in a solicitors for work experience. After a week, I stressed myself to the point that I now come home with a sore stomach. It's because they don't have a PC/computer network and trying to find files for clients is stupid because it's all in one huge pile.

Hey I also worked at a solicitors (2 years ago now), I got to go to court (and not stand traiL
biggrin.gif
), got lots of gifts and the women there were HAWT

grog15160ei9.gif

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
Got my work experience in like 3 weeks. Going tescos for two weeks lol. Should land me a weekend job though, when i turn 16.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I worked for a plant care company (one week office, one week helping with research: running compost around and measuring it) for two weeks about 7 years ago, my first last and only experience of work too.

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Worked for a mate's father in his building business.

I just did the odd jobs that didn't require supervision, like putting electric switches back into their slots, painting walls, sanding floors, cleaning windows. That's about it.

But it was fucking great, $16/hour for about 8 hours a day on average ;P

Best thing wasn't the cash, the best thing that the house that we were doing up was just next door xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.