Work Experience

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by TLSpartan, Apr 27, 2007.

Apr 27, 2007

Work Experience by TLSpartan at 1:00 PM (2,067 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. TLSpartan
    OP

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I got a job today at favourite electronics store Jaycar today right and I am also doing work experince there for a week. I was just wondering what other people have done for work experience(I dont what you would call it in the U.S)

2. tjas

Member tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Netherlands
    I think you mean workplacement I'm sitting at my internship right now it's pretty boring. I'm at Penske Logistics in the netherlands [​IMG] anyone know this company? they also do racing [​IMG]

My normal job is at the mc donalds [​IMG]

I just got my paycheck from penske [​IMG] nice that they do payme as it is not a rule to pay a trainee here in the netherlands [​IMG]

3. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    We call it work experience here in Australia. One of my friends is doing it at the zoo and and another one of my friends is doing it at the aquarium

4. slightlyaskew

Member slightlyaskew GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have a youngster here on work experience from high school. He's only here for a week, and I've only got him for 2 days so I can't really show him much.

Ah well, at least I can give him all the crappy jobs...

5. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    What is doing at your workplace slightlyaskew? Where do you work?

6. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Currently working in a solicitors for work experience. After a week, I stressed myself to the point that I now come home with a sore stomach. It's because they don't have a PC/computer network and trying to find files for clients is stupid because it's all in one huge pile.

7. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    I did my work experience at an independent videogame store... basically all we did was play Tekken Tag, Red fraction 2 and Pro Evo nonstop for 2 weeks! ^^

8. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Had to do work exp. for school. I went to some art auctioning place where i did filing etc for the aaccountants.

Yeah it was shit XD. But that was 1&1/2 yrs ago, now i got a real job [​IMG]

9. tjas

Member tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Netherlands
    Workplacements are usually shit [​IMG] you get the Fucked up jobs that nobody wants to do [​IMG]

10. slightlyaskew

Member slightlyaskew GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

I work at a University as a technician to the Animation Course. It sounds much much more exciting than it actually is. I've basically shown him how to use a 'line test' pc today and he's making up silly animations while I get on with some work.

11. beautifulbeast

Member beautifulbeast GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    I started the Translation Project for Jump! Ultimate StarsTranslation Project for Jump! Ultimate Stars. Working for free (well, for the community) is a good way to gain experience; just read some books, get involved with the community and that's that. A week after that I got my first real job.

12. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    (Or catching up on the forums [​IMG])

I did work experience ages ago, I worked for the NDCS (National Deaf Children Society) http://www.ndcs.org.uk/

I was there for 2 weeks, It was just mainly admin work which was as boring as hell....the best bit was working with this deaf guy one day and he was so funny...One day he signaled would i like a drink so i thought he meant a cup of tea so i held 2 fingers up trying to signal 2 sugars, The guy walked off and comes back with 2 cups of water and gives them to me signalling that i had asked for 2 drinks...He obviously knew what i meant as he was smiling loads...That guy was a funny man.

13. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    my mum wanted me to fill out an application to stack shelves at the supermarket, because I apparently have a poor work ethic [​IMG]

luckily, I know how ridiculously important they treat their most worthless positions, wanting school reports from the past 3 years, lots of references, plenty of interviews.. all so I can stack shelves at 4am
    and after all that crap they send a very formal letter saying, and I quote "after careful consideration of your skills and experience, I must advise you that there are other applicants who are more skilled to meet the specific requirements of this position"
    I'm so glad they regard shelf stacking so highly, coz I really do not want to work there [​IMG]

14. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I work shadowed a doctor, i advise trying to get a place in a job you want to do later in life. It's a good time to decide you don't wanna do that and change ur mind

15. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    So, is work experience just like job shadowing/interning?

16. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    im at work right now
    lol

17. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Same. What do you do?

18. pikachucrackpipe

United States
    i'm not allowed to say.
    i can say i have a government job but that's about it

19. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    You have a government job and yet, while on the job, you frequent a website that has a strong focus on piracy...
    Good job [​IMG]

20. pikachucrackpipe

United States
    but remember, the site does not give links, locations or actual direct downloads to anything not homebrewed.