WOOT! Just converted Transformers to DPG

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Rayder, Oct 20, 2007.

Oct 20, 2007
  1. Rayder
    OP

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Transformers the live action movie 2007! I converted it to DPG format! WOOT! It took a lot of trickery and 3 days time to get the files from the DVD to the DS, but I did it! My bro bought the movie the day it came out.

Clear as a bell and 20 FPS. The movie is 2 hours 24 minutes long, so the file size is huge.....387megs, in 5 parts.

Wish I could hook you guys up with it! It came out great! (yes, I know links to such files is against the rules here)

While it's not the first vid I ever converted, it's the first that I ripped from a commercial DVD. I can't believe how clear the video is. [​IMG]

I just finished verifying it and was so impressed with my work that I HAD to tell someone.

Best freaken' "movie for guys" EVER! And now I have it for the DS too. HA!

Out of all the vids I've looked at on the DS through Moonshell on the R4, this one is the clearest yet. Damn! I'm good!

I was gonna burst if I didn't tell someone.

2. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    arent you at the hight of cool:P

how do you get dvds into dpgs though, i have some movies i want to watch

3. Rayder
    OP

United States
    It wasn't easy. The Transfomers DVD is heavily protected. When I tried to copy it to another DVD, it failed badly, multiple times, but I found 5 VOB files in the decrypted files that contained the whole movie. I tried many different methods to get those VOBs into DPG format, all but the last method failed....it would SAY it converted, but then would just lock up in the DS when you tried to play it.

I tried directly from VOBs to DGP....failed.

I tried converting the VOBs to mpg....that initially worked (and is the file I used to make a backup DVD of the movie), but the when converted to a DPG, locked up in the DS.

I tried converting the VOBs to a .mov, that also worked, but when I converted it to DPG, it would cut the right third of the video off no matter what aspect ratio I tried to give it.

Finally, I stumbled on what worked. Now, this may sound like it would make it look bad, but it didn't, not at all. I converted the VOBs to the highest form of flv's (flash video) the converter I used (Total Video Converter) would let me set. The flv's came out looking just as good as the original VOBs (surprised the heck out of me, I can tell you that). I then successfully converted it to DPG and I can't believe how sharp the vid came out. It took 3 days of screwing around to get the final result.

I'm very happy with it. Final DS resolution was 256x144 at 20 FPS, 32000 on the sound, Profile "Ultra". All other BatchDPG settings were at their defaults.

Over the last 3 days, I maybe got a total of 10 hours of sleep. (yawn)

It's sleepy-nappy-crashy time. [​IMG]

4. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    Do you mind hooking me up with it?

I sent you a PM [​IMG]

5. Qwerty Kid

Newcomer Qwerty Kid Newbie

United States
    w00t! it's been converted on gbatmw for a while now.

6. Rayder
    OP

United States

Yeah, but it was just someone took a cam to a theater and recorded it. Last time I checked, the links there didn't work.

To Wii_DS,

I never uploaded it anywhere.

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I've never dumped a DVD and converted it to DPG...I imagine it's very hard to do, so good job!

Yeah, I there's an uploaded Transformers DPG, but I think it's crappy theater recorded.

*hint hint*

8. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Could you?

9. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    OH MAN. FULL LENGTH MOVIES ON A 3 INCH SCREEN?

I CANT FUCKING WAIT. MY EYES ARE ALREADY BLEEDING WITH ANTICIPATION.

10. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    you can watch it on the computer also (even when its in .dpg format)

11. Rayder
    OP

United States

Yeah, but a DPG looks like ass on a PC monitor when blown up to full screen. I have the original DVD for that, or I can watch the 4gig mpg I made too. I'm thinking I may upload it to GBAtmw Monday, if no one else uploads a new one first (the links to the one they had there are dead). But I'll have to figure out how to go about doing that there......I don't have enough webspace to host it myself. Besides, I want the upload to be annonymous, I don't really even want to take credit for any copyrighted movie being available on some website, even if it is just for the DS. Uploading them is 10X worse than downloading them.

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Might have been easier to just download the DVD rip and convert it that way but good for you for doing it that way.

Theres some things that I need to do at times that would have easier ways but dammit wheres the challenge?