Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
wood_firmeware_gbatemp.net_2010.jpg

For the next few releases I will post questions and answers from a very short interview with the Yellow Wood Goblin. The questions are simple, sometimes have 2-3 word answers, focus on the firmware itself, but also aim to provide a tiny bit of insight while asking what the Goblin’s favorite games/homebrews are.

Without further ado, our 5th question:

Q: What is your favorite “retro” ROM and why?
A: Metal Gear on MSX. It was the only retro-game that I finished.

Please feel free to discuss the firmware update as well as the interview in this news thread.

Change Log said:
Core:
• switched to devkitarm r34.
• updated touchscreen processing code.
• non-empty folders can be deleted.
• crc32 calculation added. start->tools->crc32. now all bug reports without crc32 of rom ignored.

Interface:
• small icons view style added to main list.
• chezh localization updated. tnx to intemes.
• romanian localization updated. tnx to Attila13.
• german localization updated. tnx to Werner Schabert.

WIFI-update:
• minor fixes and improvements.

Compatibility:
• 'one piece - gigant battle! (france)' fixed.
• 'kaidan restaurant - zoku! shin menu 100-sen (japan)' fixed.
• 'tennis no oji-sama gyutto! dokidoki survival umi to yama no love passion (japan)' fixed.
• 'imagine - resort owner (usa)' fixed.
• 'crime lab - body of evidence (usa)' fixed.

RPG Specific:
• updated bypass protection mode.

Special Thanks to YWG for the update!

download.gif
Wood R4 v1.33 Download
download.gif
Wood R4iDSN v1.33 Download
download.gif
Wood R.P.G. v1.33 Download
icon11.gif
Wood R4 as .NDS by Coolkill3r
icon11.gif
Wood R4 Bugs and Compatibility thread
icon11.gif
Wood R4 Language File thread

Nathanaël

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nauru
Maybe R4 Gold team would like to update their firmware?

We can't use this right now on R4 Gold.

R4 Gold is blocked by Nintendo DSi update 1.43. Since weeks. :/

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
which r4i gold are you talking about.

the .com team's v1 or v2 card? the .cn team's v1, v2 (1.4.1 stickered box), or v3 (3ds) card? the .cc team's card? etc?

they are all different, they are all differently supported, and they do not all work with wood.

most of the teams that have the old hardware (requires more than just a data update) have not released a fix yet. its scary to think that we could be running out of exploitable roms. instead of having patience users simply demand an update. as a result the teams release different updates using different exploitable roms, and nintendo finds more stuff they can block. i know the teams will never work together to exploit just 1 of our limited rom stockpile at a time. at this point i think everyone should just put their old kits on the shelf and purchase a hardware update that only needs the data exploited (r4i gold 3ds, scds2, ismart mm, ievo, etc). flashing new rom icons is eventually going to come to a halt.

-another world

Nathanaël

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nauru
Another World said:

the .com team's v1 or v2 card? the .cn team's v1, v2 (1.4.1 stickered box), or v3 (3ds) card? the .cc team's card? etc?

they are all different, they are all differently supported, and they do not all work with wood.

-another world

I'm talking about your team. Don't worry. R4iDS.cn and R4iDSN.com.

Both cards won't work on DSi 1.4.3. Since weeks. As you know.

Fix that. Plze.
moogle.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Nathanaël said:
Another World said:

-another world

Fix that. Plze.
moogle.gif
You heard the man, Another World, fix his card, NOW!
rofl2.gif

@Nathanial -- Another World just writes and reports for GBAtemp, he doesn't program the R4iGold cards. And didn't the R4iGold teams report their card does work with 1.4.3?
http://www.r4ids.cn/news.htm
Here's the update patch that should make it compatible with 1.4.3u (chessmaster icon)
http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=25395

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
wood is updated by yellow wood goblin for the acekard rpg, original r4, and the r4i dsn flash kits. the r4i gold.cn kit (by the dsn team) is updated by their team of coders. they usually release it a day or so after wood.

they are the only team with permission to port wood to a different flash kit.

-another world

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nathanaël said:
Another World said:

-another world

Fix that. Plze.
moogle.gif

'Nathanaël', what's your question now?
R4iDSN 3DS(r4idsn.com) and R4i Gold 3DS(r4ids.cn) can work well on NDSi V1.4.3 without any updating.
R4i Gold Non-3DS must be updated to support NDSi V1.4.3.
R4i Gold team is working on such a updating patch and you can get this information from www.r4ids.cn.

For WOOD R4 1.33 for R4i Gold(r4ids.cn), you can download it from www.r4ids.cn.

If you have any other questions, please send mails to [email protected] to get more technical support.

KevFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome update as usual, loving the small icon view.
Thanks YWG, your work is much appreciated.

I was wondering will Wood be able to like 'hide files/folder' through a text file (globalsettings) in future releases like akaio?
unsure.gif

Anyway great release
yaynds.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
for years i have been asking normmatt for a way to tick the hide attribute of a file directly. something like that would be much more ideal. we could hide what we wanted then view all hidden files to tick them back or view a list of just the files we hid on our own. =) globalsettings.ini works but it requires that you connect your msd to a computer to accomplish this, unless a keyboard was added. if a keyboard is added i'll want file/directory renaming as well.

-another world

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1st about hidden files mentioned before me...
Use OS to set files/folders to hidden and then show/hide hidden if needed from wood firmwares. It would be nice if a hidden tickbox could be added to wood file properties but I can hide files/folders perfectly right now.

This sounds like a very nice update, could be my favorite wood release to date...wood firmware are too good!
I was actually gonna ask ywg if crc checking was possible for reasons mentioned and its been added before I could even request it. I'm more impressed with this firmware each update..i luv it.
Im gonna load this onto my rpg asap but if i understand, we can have icons (scaled down) in file list view? This is what I always wanted.
smile.gif

Nice one for updating the RPG bypass protection too! Im using my RPG/DSL cause I updated my DSi like a fool and cannot use r4igold right now.. again. i dunno sometimes.

ywg, please could I suggest things for future.. (if ever possible and u agree with ideas, have time etc)

1. add "favorites" to the x button on woodrpg so its Nand/SD/Favorites that would be nice, now it switches between SD/Nand only.

2. autoload last rom update.
I wondered can wood skip loading the Menu/GUI (if B not held) and just boot straight into loading the game bit? (might be possible to improve bootup speed a tiny bit if the GUI isn't loaded unless its used?, wood stealth mode
smile.gif
)

Could 3in1 .gba also autoload..is this actually possible?

3. Couple ideas on interface.
After updating and using the new "small icons" style which i think is very nice(and I'm gonna use now...)
i. option to switch to "small icons" style but keep Old School filenames and lose the file extension? An option inside the globalsettings.ini "Small Icons Type = 0/1" (Internal/OldSchool)?
ii. I cannot see some rom names when I use small icons style because the text runs off screen. Could the text autoscroll when the title is highlighted...dunno if this is possible but assume its hard work.
iii. animation support with the small icons style?
iv. user setting for small icons size e.g instead of 8 (default), I could set it to show 10 but with smaller icons to fit? It would be the best of both worlds (OldSchool and Modern, form and function).

Please excuse me if it sounds ungrateful me asking for some more so many new features, I appreciate it must be a lot of work on this firmware and most users can tell by how pro it is. I'll speak for everyone when i say seriously your wood firmwares are appreciated, if my requests are no good thats ok. Grateful that i have rpg and real good r4igold firmware at all

4. my biggest wish i think.
Type of slot2 check at startup and reset.. hide slot2 if nothing detected (no 3in1NOR or GBA cart) or if running wood on DSi (like the akaio feature). Show slot2 if check detects 3in1NOR contains .gba or Slot2 contains GBA cart)[/i].
GBA loading would still function from wood as it does now even if slot2 is hidden because we always start with .gba on mSD. I never select slot2 because it serves no purpose most of the time only if i wanna play a real gba game/cart or have a .gba in NOR... so if this check could work the interface functionality i think would be improved. I could be wrong i know.
When .gba is loaded into NOR, a slot2 check after it completes the write could detect 3in1NOR and "show slot2". This would be to allow the user to boot straight after writing without resetting the DS (or option in globalsettings to autoboot gba after .gba is written into NOR).
I always turn DS off if changing slot2 and was thinking this would probably be quite a natural improvement to wood firmwares. I cannot find anything that would conflict with this change either, no drawback.

5. WiFi update.
Does it work if any of the files to be updated are read-only (I don't think it does but not 100%, have not tried with latest updater)
Could it be updated to replace files and update even if files that will be replaced are read-only? "Are you sure yes/no?" before if it replaces the read-only files. This is last as i don't see many needing this but thought I'd just mention it.

Right thats a massive list now but its all my ideas I think I have had about wood firmwares,
ywg thank you very much once again for the latest and all previous wood updates. superb
grog.gif

Akotan

Mathematical!
Trophies
Website
www.viciocriativo.com
XP
Country
Brazil
can i ask something very dumb?
rolleyes.gif

when i go to update menu on Wood 1.32 and ask to update, the system restarts itself.
what am i doing wrong?
what do i need to use the update function?
or, better, besides the cheat code, what does the update function update?

thanks Goblin for this update! Although I'm playing an old game right now (another code)...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Akotan said:
can i ask something very dumb?
rolleyes.gif

when i go to update menu on Wood 1.32 and ask to update, the system restarts itself.
what am i doing wrong?
what do i need to use the update function?
or, better, besides the cheat code, what does the update function update?

thanks Goblin for this update! Although I'm playing an old game right now (another code)...
It'll do that if you don't have a valid connection to the internet. Check your connection settings and be sure your wireless is turned on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: