i've tried the pokemon black & white J E & U versions

* clean & patched ones *

and i still get a black screen >_

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm just sad that i don't get to experience wood on the m3, since ywg still hasn't shared the source with gabaroos.

i'm on rydian's side of this issue, though. you can't start making exceptions now.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Rydian said:
trigao said:
yes... -.-'.... come on guys... like a gay little cat boy said "I would rather Wood be closed-sourced than no Wood at all"
I would too, but Wood is not closed-source and it cannot be made closed-source due to the terms of the GPL, which is the issue.
I hope this can bring an end to the argument.

gpl.JPG

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DeveloperViolate

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trigao said:
RoMee said:
looks like the end of wood might start here if people's gonna push this issue.

I say let it go

yes... -.-'.... come on guys... like a gay little cat boy said "I would rather Wood be closed-sourced than no Wood at all"

Here's the problem...
To the best of my knowledge, Wood is based off the AceKard RPG's source code. If the previous statement is true, then YWG has no right to make it closed source since it is not his code. No one denies that he's done a HELL of a lot of work on it, but the base is someone else' code.

The issue here is that the GPL stipulates that anyone distributing derivative works based on a GPL'd project MUST make their source available.
People were distributing Wood without including their changes, and that is why YWG closed the googlecode page. But by doing so, he's done EXACTLY what they were doing. You can't even check out old versions anymore.

It sucks all around.

QUOTE(Snailface @ Apr 30 2011, 01:21 AM)
I hope this can bring an end to the argument.
While that is 100% true, it does not apply since it's not YWGs base code.

TheLostSabre

Naberius the Nauseous
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From what I understand from post before mine is that since ywg's Wood is based from AceKard RPG's source code, he must keep it open source as a result? Even if people using Wood's source code doesn't credit ywg?

Sounds pretty complicated.
unsure.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The_Lost_Sabre said:
From what I understand from post before mine is that since ywg's Wood is based from AceKard RPG's source code, he must keep it open source as a result? Even if people using Wood's source code doesn't credit ywg?

Sounds pretty complicated.
unsure.gif
Correct.

People distributing modified Wood without source code = GPL violation (bad)
YWG closing the source to Wood or making it unavailable = GPL violation (bad)
YWG closing the source to Wood or making it unavailable because of people distributing modified Wood without source code = hypocritical GPL violation (worse)

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
The base AKRPG code was released to the public domain which means people could do what ever they like to it even relicense it. YWG has done nothing wrong regarding the GPL except possibly removing the older versions sources.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
The base AKRPG code was released to the public domain which means people could do what ever they like to it even relicense it. YWG has done nothing wrong regarding the GPL except possibly removing the older versions sources.

Ah. Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I hope people will stop making a fuss now lol.

TheLostSabre

Naberius the Nauseous
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Normmatt said:

That I didn't know about.
blink.gif

Thanks for clearing that up Normmatt.
biggrin.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Normmatt said:
Ok, assuming the YWG GPL'ed the public-domain AKRGP derived WOOD firmware under his own name as the developer, he should be in the clear to remove the source code based on this:

gpl.JPG

Hopefully, he's totally in the clear now.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Rydian said:
Another World said:
to be honest, i really don't care much about it. its just a firmware for a flash kit that is used to run illegal roms. its not like we are exploiting the next "linux." unless the gpl lawyers send me a letter i'm not removing any uploads nor am i going to stop uploading future releases to filetrip.

-another world
So as head of mag staff your official decision is to ignore copyright laws? If it's determined that we're okay to put it here, then we should also be okay to put BIOS dumps, and things such as the cracked versions of AKAIO...

my staff postion has nothing to do with this opinion. lets be honest, who is going to sue over this? the guy who wants to port the DSTT Wood? let us remember that we are talking about a firmware for a flash kit, its not the bios of a multi-national corporations video game system. in regards to cracked versions of akaio, they are discouraged because they may cause harm to your ak2i (bootloader issues, old ap overwriting the boot loader, etc), not because they are cracked. you really can't put it in the same group just to say its violating the gpl rules. i'm not even sure its a violation because he started it, and i will admit i don't read the rules down to the last line, but my stand is that i'm not changing what i'm doing until their lawyers send me a physical letter telling me to take down the old files and stop hosting new ones. by that time i'm sure the goblin will just put the source back online. also at this point this is all speculation because if we asked i'm sure he would give the source.

according to the screen capture snailface posted he is within his rights because he came first and others who ported his code were the ones were voilated the gpl. is that not correct?

-another world

mybluered

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
RoMee said:
looks like the end of wood might start here if people's gonna push this issue.

I say let it go
I'll readily admit I'm the most vocal, but I'm not the only one. We have had people signing up here just to ask for the source since they know it's GPL'd.

This is the GPL, it's a legally-recognized license, shit is serious now, people sue over GPL violations all the time and you don't have to be the copyright holder to do it.

Yes the chance of getting sued is very minor, but so is the chance of getting sued for hosting the GBA BIOS, Nintendo WADs, and other such things, but they're still against the rules here because it's illegal.

If this was not GPL'd I'd be on the "Suck it up, if you want a better menu for your cart code it yourself like YWG did" side, but this is actually a legal concern for the site.

As magazine staff I'm not going to risk it.
Don't you think it 's unfair?
The people who made wood dstt never released his source and you speak nothing about it.
Y.W.G tried his best to update the wood normally for free.
It's not his responsibility to to it.
What he has done bring us so much happy.
Besides, from the point view of the law, the flashcard is illegal itself.
Now, let's throw it away.
Then , it's really useless for us to talk about this issue.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
Rydian said:
Another World said:
to be honest, i really don't care much about it. its just a firmware for a flash kit that is used to run illegal roms. its not like we are exploiting the next "linux." unless the gpl lawyers send me a letter i'm not removing any uploads nor am i going to stop uploading future releases to filetrip.

-another world
So as head of mag staff your official decision is to ignore copyright laws? If it's determined that we're okay to put it here, then we should also be okay to put BIOS dumps, and things such as the cracked versions of AKAIO...

my staff postion has nothing to do with this opinion. lets be honest, who is going to sue over this? the guy who wants to port the DSTT Wood? let us remember that we are talking about a firmware for a flash kit, its not the bios of a multi-national corporations video game system. in regards to cracked versions of akaio, they are discouraged because they may cause harm to your ak2i (bootloader issues, old ap overwriting the boot loader, etc), not because they are cracked. you really can't put it in the same group just to say its violating the gpl rules. i'm not even sure its a violation because he started it, and i will admit i don't read the rules down to the last line, but my stand is that i'm not changing what i'm doing until their lawyers send me a physical letter telling me to take down the old files and stop hosting new ones. by that time i'm sure the goblin will just put the source back online. also at this point this is all speculation because if we asked i'm sure he would give the source.

-another world

gabaroos has asked. he was told he would have access so he could continue to release woodm3, but nothing has come of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off