Won't it be awesome?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by khan, Mar 28, 2007.

Mar 28, 2007

Won't it be awesome? by khan at 7:09 PM (913 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. khan
    OP

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    I was thinking if a company would ever consider making a Slot-1 flash card that has 2GB of onboard/built-in memory as well as slot for MicroSD card so you can expand the memory even further. Imagines**4GB alone in the Slot-1**

As DS games get bigger and bigger in time, I personally feel that we need more 2GB in the near future unless 4GB MicroSD compatible with Slot-1 come out [​IMG]

Do you think, It is technically possible or just a wishfull thinking [​IMG]

2. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    It will be expensive, really expensive.

Better buy a pair of 2gb micro sd cards.

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    It's technically possible. You'd have to patch games according to where you're going to keep them (internal memory VS memory card), and that's about it.

I don't know about "awesome"; it would be "okay", I guess... But more expensive than any existing flashcard. [​IMG]

Oh, and you misspelled the topic; it should be "wouldn't it be awesome" [​IMG]

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Um... how on earth would you fit a memory card *and* an onboard memory chip inside a DS cart? Surely there's physically not enough space for both? [​IMG]

5. GBA_Temper

Member GBA_Temper *KING OF GBATEMP*

United States
    Well I think it can be possible unless you are one of those working in the DS FLASHCART Manufacture Center and you put the DS Cart together and you know it would be impossible to put 2GB of onboard memory in have a TF Slot...??? I really think its possible

6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It would make more sense to just add SDHC compatibility to a flashcart. 4 gig microSDHC cards should be out before long, and the SDHC spec goes up to 32 gigs.

7. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    actually it's not that practical. Both software and hardware aspects.
    Software aspect, every time you load anything from the memory, it will check "is there memory card inserted", and "was the game loaded from internal memory or memory card" -> "save to either internal memory or memory card" and etc features.

Hardware aspect, if you nearly filled up your internal memory, so it has 30MB left, and if you want to play 45MB rom, it HAS to be on memory card, which makes the 30 MB not really useful until you decide to mount smaller rom in it.

Theoretically internal memory+memory card slot is more spacious and portable, but if the cart comes with either one faulty, whole thing loses its merit (double chance of getting one faulty you know)

What's more practical is really really small internal memory that'll hold firmware and homebrew program related stuff, and big memory card for storing data, so you don't need multiple programs on multiple cards.

8. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the ds xtreme has a 2gb hard drive one, but no insert for micro sd card.
    preorder it here.

http://www.mod-chip.com/en/ds-xtreme_16gb.php
    (16gbit=2GB)

Just so you gusy know, they are lowering the price on the 4gbit, the 512mb one to the low low price of only $100.

I dont see why they would have both, i mean just buy 2, 2 gb micro sd cards its the same thing basically, unless they make a flash cart for the new 4gb micro sd's.

9. gatorade

Member gatorade GBAtemp Regular

United States
    might be more convient for some ppl to just carry around 1 card instead of two...

10. Godot0102

Newcomer Godot0102 Advanced Member

United States
    I think the most a DS game can go up to is 128-132 mb, i havnt seen any ds rom go above that. Having storage above 2gb would be convenient, i usually have to label and search for the microsd with certain games on it.

11. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    Which game uses 132MB? I think max is 128MB or 1024Mb

12. cheesyPOOF5

Member cheesyPOOF5 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Lunar Knights is humongous.