Tutorial  Updated

WonderSwan Color IPS Screen Mod

Welcome to Pannda’s Marvelous Mods!
pmm.001.jpeg

I decided to write up reviews of some of my Mods, Hardware or any interesting items. So Enjoy

First is a Mod that I just did today. Around a 2 weeks ago, I found a video with a really nice IPS screen for the Wonderswan. I have seen older mods that don’t look clean or needed case cutting. I really like my Final Fantasy edition WonderSwan Color and did not want to run the risk to ruin it but not an issue anymore.
This mod is really easy to install and looks really clean. I cost me about $50 and took 15minutes to complete.
s-l1600-4.jpg
It can from China in less then two weeks. Really nicely packed with plastic case and Anti Static shielding bag. No worries that it would of been damaged during shipping
IMG_1508.jpg

The Kit really has everything you need. (LCD screen, PCB, cable, tape, wires and screwdrivers. And a really nice Glass Screen replacement.

Since my WonderSwan’s screen has a design and not to bad shape I won’t be replacing it.
Start by Making sure that any game and battery case is removed.
IMG_1509.jpg

The WonderSwan Color is just being held together by 6 torx screws, carefully remove the back plate and then disconnect the screen ridden cable.
IMG_1510.jpg

Remove the four foam pegs (try to remove any residue with some rubbing alcohol)
IMG_1511.jpg

Solder the each of the red wires to the points pictured. ( The left wire tuck in the hole right on the battery connector. The right wire just goes over the side.)
IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

P.S. Ignore the horrible solder Job…

Flipping the motherboard over. Solder the wire on the A+B button side to GND on the PCB, and the wire from x buttons to Bat on the PCB. Connect the Cable (blue side up) to the PCB.
IMG_1517.jpg

Now let us work on front of the shell, remove the buttons. CAREFULLY remove the original LCD from the Front panel and I mean “carefully” as my original screen just popped looking at it, lol. You can keep the tape that was hold the original screen as it can be reused to the new LCD.
IMG_1518.jpg

Stick on one of the Insulating film on the back of the new LCD screen and Connect the new screen to the PCB.
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1520.jpg

Stick on the other Insulating film on the back of the Motherboard and place the new LCD in the front shell (make sure to place the screen as low as you can)
IMG_1521.jpg

Remove the film from color and brightness touch buttion and attach them to the shell.
IMG_1523.jpg

This is the only part that I was a bit nervous to do. The cable ribbon included is just off the shelf and its not really meant for the fix, so it is extremely long and awkward to place. Attached with blue side down and do a fold as you twist the ribbon. Fold any excess ridden on the other side of the motherboard. The next part is that the ribbon is decent quality so it was not damaged with all this folding.
IMG_1524.jpg

Close it up and before you place the screws, test it as you might need to adjust the screen if crooked. Now Look at your Wonderful WonderSwan Color in all its Bright GLORY!

Here is a screenshot before the mod and after!
IMG_1506.jpg IMG_1527.jpg

With the additional touch buttons installed, you can change the brightness and color platte (more for Black and white games)
IMG_1528.jpgIMG_1530.jpgIMG_1531.jpg
Its amazing what 5 years can do. I remember installing one of the first LCD backlights for Gameboy that involved replacing the reflective film from the screen and it would mess up 9/10 times. New Mod are either plug and play or only requesting 1/2 wires to solder.

Thanks for reading till the end.

Last edited by djpannda,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i remember the digimon series on that thing, it was a glorious age of my finding emus of this console and trying the half cooked translations, i was a child back then and even my gbc costed me a whole summer of working :) i wouldnt imagine the cost to bring one to where i lived . oh memories....

Dogson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This screen isn't compatible with all games, Wonderswan is a 75Hz system most of the time, however some games such as Firelancer (there are more but I forget which, not much documentation) run at other refreshrates (~60Hz). And don't work with this kit sadly, the previous kit had the same issue, however that kit wasn't even 75Hz and had frame stutter issues.

I had high hopes for this mod, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you have a unit with a damaged display.

I also want to suggest waiting on mellotts ws flashcart that's in development. The flashmasta is very limited (only one save file at a time shared between all (15 at a time) games, if you switch games you have to hook up to a computer to save and not have your other save overwritten)

Game compatibility is decent but also lacking, some games like ghost and goblins lack sound, others refuse to boot. This is related to special chips, and it's a good chunk of games you can't play. Really hope mellotts flashcart is what we're all dreaming of.

He previously made one for the virtual boy.

Last edited by Dogson,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ordered an ips kit for my dmg, I'm waiting on the mail atm, solderless drop in too;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://ebay.to/3lDddy1

https://ugc.kizoa.app/klon1/f344852773_9997768.mp4

They also have gbp,gbc and gba versions

https://ugc.kizoa.app/klon1/f344851587_9977827.mp4
I ordered couple of them last week. I plan to keep one of everything untouched and mod my extra handhelds

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered couple of them last week. I plan to keep one of everything untouched and mod my extra handhelds

Well my dmg lcd has gone to shit, it's worn out, bunch of missing pixels/lines

So this permanently fixes that, also have a new daughter board, there is another one that's slightly cheaper, but you have to use the existing board and solder ribbon cable for the lcd module,also it has issues with whites appearing grayish instead iirc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Origin...sh=item48d8c9da94:g:CDMAAOSwM81d6KBL&LH_BIN=1

I've seen those for as low as about $30

Also got two replacement cases, a clear ice blue dmg case, and I bought a clear black case cause I think it looks better, tie it all with an internal 4.8v 2000mah rechargeable battery

Dat ips picture looks fucking good

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe that one battery system can handle backlight of lcd screen. How long it last?

Wonderswan hardware is 3.3v iirc, not 5v like the Gameboy(color), the color normally gets 20 (original one gets 40) hours with the stock screen, so one battery should last up to 10 hours or so

Reactions: plasturion

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wonderswan hardware is 3.3v iirc, not 5v like the Gameboy(color), the color normally gets 20 (original one gets 40) hours with the stock screen, so one battery should last up to 10 hours or so
I would not expect that long battery life with only one battery. It seems it works max 3,5 hours on lowest bright level.
13:15
also another yt movie shows fail in instalation when capacitors have not enough capacity... even if it work with stock screen.

despite that cons, having this working screen is a nice mod.

ital

Trophies
XP
the first LCD backlights for Gameboy that involved replacing the reflective film from the screen and it would mess up 9/10 times.
*shudders* what a crazy time in modding that was though, so much fun. And even more stress. All for a slightly more playable screen.

Back to the WS:

I often suspect Nintendo had Gunpei clipped for daring to leave and then go into direct competition with them. Yamuchi certainly seemed gangster enough to do it even though the net says this is a "conspiracy theory".

I've never had a WS, what are the best games on there? Esp unique experiences.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...