Wondering about Swap Magic...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by War, Nov 19, 2007.

Nov 19, 2007

Wondering about Swap Magic... by War at 1:05 AM (6,482 Views / 0 Likes) 100 replies

1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    So, i recently learned about this product... Swap Magic. I'm sure it's old news to most of you, but to me, it sounds wonderful! So, let me see if I have this correct... Swap Magic is a CD that you put it into your PS2, load it up, then select "Swap", and you can play Japanese PS2 games/PS2 Homebrew/Ps2 backups? Because if its THAT easy, and it requires nothing to be bought extra or soldered, I want one of these babies NAO.

Can someone post information on it, and their personal experiences with it? Also, anyone know a good place to buy it?
    Thanks guys!
    -

2. sonic209

Member sonic209 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Oh...so it doesnt work by itself? Can someone who ahs it explain to me how to use it and stuffs? Also, do I just download an .iso online, burn it into the DVD, and boot it with Swap?

4. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Don't bother with Swap Magic anymore. You can get a memory card that gives you full mod functions now. The only thing is that the ISOs need to be patched.

Swap Magic is a PS2 pressed disk that allows you to load a ps2 disk when prompted. It has/had some issues, but I haven't personally used the newest one.

5. sonic209

United States
    how do you do this

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. Don't double post! [​IMG] - Ace

6. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Youtube has some demonstration videos of it. Basically, you need to find a way to get the PS2 to let you open the disc tray (either slide tool, or tape down the door sensor on flip-top models).

The memory card is interesting, but needs some work yet. The NTSC/U version of the hack isn't even out yet. Considering the price, I'll wait another month or so for more people to "test" it out...

7. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    What is the memory card called? The only thing bad I see about the memory card is that when it runs out of space, you can't hold anymore games. :\ As with Swap Magic, since you're using each game in a separate DVD, you can have as many as you want (or as many DVDs aas you want to use)

8. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    It works great but on older PS2s it'll get scratched from regular use. When it got to the point that it was so scratched it was only working when it felt like it, I used it one last time to set up the Memory Card Exploit using an old PS1 game.

It works great, and the Swap Magic comes with the Swap Key. Just hopefully your PS2 won't scratch it to death like mine did.

No, you don't put the games on the Memory Card. I mean you put the mod files onto it. How mine works is if a certain PS1 game is inserted (In my case Die Hard Trilogy), it loads up a file on the memory card which lets me do a bunch of crap on it. I only use the cogswap as a substitute Swap Magic.

9. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
  10. sonic209

United States
    is there a difference between swapmagic v3.6 and v3.6 plus like does v3.6 have worst game compatibilty or something from v3.6 plus

11. Gaisuto

United States
    I have 3.6 and I have yet to play a single game that did not work with it. And I've played a ton.

12. sonic209

United States
    thanks you so much im so glad to hear that and can you tell me whats the newest game you played

EDIT:could it also play ps1 games very good

13. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hmmm...that memor thing really doesn't look that convincing. And basically, the reason I'm getting Swap is cause I wanna play a lot of japanese games. :[ I just don't wanna go through all that bullcrap with the Slide Tool. It looks extremely complicated.

14. sonic209

United States
    not really all you have to do is take that front of the disk drive thing off and just slide the slide card right and left on the white pin underneath the disk drive

15. Gaisuto

United States
    Swap Magic itself doesn't play PS1 games but the Memory Card Exploit using Swap Magic can.
    And the newest PS2 release I've played successfully on it was DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

16. sonic209

United States
    whats memory card exploit
    and i knew you were going to say that game because i got it to try it when my swapmagic gets here
    cant wait [​IMG]

17. Gaisuto

United States
    There were some files you'd burn onto a CD and run using the CD Swap Magic. After you set it up to trigger when a certain PS1 game is inserted, it installs some files onto your memory card.

From there you just use the PS1 game cd as the new swap magic essentially. Off the top of my head I don't remember where the files are though, sorry.

18. sonic209

United States
    cool thanks for the info sounds pretty easy

19. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Yeah... I think I'm gonna get Swap even though I have to do the thing with the taking out the cover and stuff....

Anyone know where I can get a bundle for a cheap price with cheap delivery to the US?

20. sonic209

United States
    here http://www.keepgaming.com/ps2/NXP2R-007.htm and you might want to find some for info about the slide card on google like how to use it and all remember to take that front ps2 cover of gently like by using a screwdriver