Woman Bought Laptop And Ended Up With Stack Of Duct Tape

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Fresh off the woman scoring a wooden iPad for $180 in a McDonald's parking lot, another woman spent $250 to buy a laptop in a gas station parking lot and ended up with a stack of paper wrapped in duct tape.

This happened in the same city in the same week. The woman was approached by a man (who had a grill in his mouth) at a gas station in South Carolina saying that he had laptops, iPads and iPods in FedEx boxes for cheap. She agreed to buy a laptop for $250 but when she got home, all there was inside the FedEx box was the stack of paper and a white power cord (how thoughtful!).

I didn't think this needed to be said but before we see any other instances of idiocy, I guess we have to declare a PSA. If you want to avoid getting ripped off, don't buy your electronics at a gas station parking lot. If you want to avoid getting ripped off, don't buy iPads and laptops for a few hundred bucks. If you want to avoid getting ripped off, use. your. brain.[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

I wonder what went through her mind after opening the box xD

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I find this preeeeeetty intriguing. Reminds me of those news about chinese USB hard drives being USB drives with added weights
rofl.gif

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
Pyrmon said:
Chaz. said:
Why would you not check it out before buying? Retard!
Why would you buy it at all? You know it's fake.
If you have any sort of brain that is.
You can sell it to some other stupid person for a profit.
Genius plan. Buying some duck tape for 250$ thinking it's a laptop and then selling it for 500$ once you know it's fake.
Or you could just buy some duck tape for 5$ and then sell it for 500$. But that's just me.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pyrmon said:
Chaz. said:

It's not hard to look in the box before buying. Not all instances are fake. She was just retarded for not looking in the box before she handed over the cash.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rofl.gif

Seriously who buys stuff like this at a gas station, anyone knows if someone is selling high tier stuff like this it's most likely fake or stolen (if you are lucky).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrmon said:
Chaz. said:

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole situation.

Scams like this are very old, although usually they are done via mail order and not in person...

The oldest example I can think of off hand is something to do with a Potato Bug Killer 100% effective, you would send in like 5$ or something (Hey it was a lot of money in the old days lol) and they would send you 2 bricks to smash the potato bugs with.

At any rate if people would stop and think before they acted, scams would be very unsuccessful.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention it could be a laptop with windows 95 with less than 50MB of RAM and less than 100MB of HDD space. Technically it's still a laptop and fully functional too...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The usual version I see of this is people get approached to buy an [insert electrical device] (with it all but outright stated to be hot) and once it is all about to go through the seller "spots" some police and shuts the boot before waiting for the danger to pass and the swap occurs then. Alas I have only once had people try to pull the White van speaker scam.

As for wooden ipad I wonder if it would go with the wooden commodore 64 http://www.419eater.com/html/john_boko.htm

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I just bought a HP touchpad for $99 and a second 32gb toughpad for $150 that said why would you even report this? If I did something that stupid I'd never tell anyone.

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
that reminds me of the walmart story where that woman ended up with a box of rocks, and that was at least justifiable seeing as wal-mart's a trusted store.
Ugh, sad truth is, my mom did the same thing.. with a Nokia N97 (though it was an actual device, but a china fake with a different software)

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
Fresh off the woman scoring a wooden iPad for $180 in a McDonald's parking lot, another woman spent $250 to buy a laptop in a gas station parking lot and ended up with a stack of paper wrapped in duct tape.

This happened in the same city in the same week. The woman was approached by a man (who had a grill in his mouth) at a gas station in South Carolina saying that he had laptops, iPads and iPods in FedEx boxes for cheap. She agreed to buy a laptop for $250 but when she got home, all there was inside the FedEx box was the stack of paper and a white power cord (how thoughtful!).

I didn't think this needed to be said but before we see any other instances of idiocy, I guess we have to declare a PSA. If you want to avoid getting ripped off, don't buy your electronics at a gas station parking lot. If you want to avoid getting ripped off, don't buy iPads and laptops for a few hundred bucks. If you want to avoid getting ripped off, use. your. brain.[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

I wonder what went through her mind after opening the box xD

If you want to avoid getting ripped off always make sure to check whatever your buying out thoroughly.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have a really, really hard time understanding the concept of not buying expensive electronics in parking lots. It never ends well.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I don't get is you could get some great buys for cheap online anyways. I was just thinking about getting a new latop, tigerdirect has a really nice one for its price at $260USD. Refurbished, but there's nothing wrong on that.

Much better deal than a wad of paper and tape and a white cord @_@

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This just shows how many people have lost their morals. There's no right and no wrong, no God, only greed. This women knew that if the computer were real it was stolen and she didn't care. I say it's better that she's ripped off than if the computer were real but obviously she didn't learn her lesson if she goes crying to the police. It's okay if she receives stolen good but not if she gets ripped off herself. What a scum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr