Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I was reading Wololo's blog yesterday and read a great, simple description even the noobiest of the noobs could understand. Hell, this could even apply to the 3DS as well and I was debating whether I'd post it there as well! But, since it's Vita oriented, I figured I'd share it here, hoping maybe someone will read this before posting stupid "WHY NO HACK YET????" threads...anyways, to the point.

People contact me regularly to ask why I’m spending time hacking the PSP emulator of the Vita, rather than the Vita itself. Others are wondering why we haven’t seen a true vita hack yet. So, what’s the current status?

It needs to be understood that one of the main reasons the PSP was easily hacked was because it allowed unsigned content to run in its first iteration. It is safe to believe that Sony did not do the same mistake with the Vita.

One of the consequences is that without any hardware, it is difficult to understand the internals of the Vita, and that makes software hacks close to impossible. For software hacks to be even possible, we need to understand the internals of the vita. This is something that we’ve been discussing here, for those interested. Of course, there are software attempts at understanding the Vita better (Davee is probing the walls of the psp emulator, Dridri is investigating USB communications, SKFU is playing with the network, etc…)

Many of us have a few crashes that could be interesting on the Vita, but of course, a software crash is basically useless until we have the tools to analyze it, and possibly turn it into an exploit. For this, most likely, Hardware hackers will be required… but even that is not a given, since hardware on these devices is made more and more difficult to investigate. Everything can be hacked of course, it’s just a matter of time and money, but I am wondering if we are reaching a point where investigating such a device from a hardware point of view has become complex and expensive enough that a hobbyist tinkerer will not do it, only people/companies will do it, as an investment to future sales (I’m thinking for example of Datel, or, more recently, the whole usb dongle thing going on with the PS3).

What do you guys think? Has it become too expensive for an individual to investigate the hardware of new generation consoles?

Source

EDIT: Forgot the source...heh.

Reactions: 1 person

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Could always use a Kickstarter. :creep:

As for hacking the PSP emulator, that's all I want. I have at least a dozen PSP games, none of which I can play on my Vita without rebuying the ones actually on the Vita's PSN Store. I'm not spending £28 to play Persona 3 Portable on my Vita, nor am I paying £18 to play The Third Birthday on it. This Wololo guy will be doing me a favour Sony clearly isn't interested in and, yeah, I'd totally pay for the hack if it saved me that money.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As someone who bought very few games on PSP, I don't mind paying for PSN games. I'm not going to pay £28 for P3, but I wouldn't mind paying £15 for it. Unfortunately there are many games on PSP that aren't on PSN (e.g. Phantasy Star Portable) so that's why I'm interested in a homebrew method to make the games I want to play available.

Who knows, maybe if a homebrew version of Phantasy Star Portable gets popular enough, SEGA might actually get round to porting game to PSN already.

bromanbro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I recently got a PSP for homebrew, I HATE the screen. It reminds me of a worse 90's CRT TV with scanlines everywhere. Therfore, PSP mode would be fantastic for the Vita. I wanna play my Pokemon on a nicer screen :)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Oh gawd the PSP screen can't be nicer (... Brite 3000 model btw) because colors are much more vibrant and those scanlines basically draw primitives much clearer!

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
There's money to be made in various ways, so people will always have motivation. Wololo is a smart guy and knows his stuff but i think some of the blog posts are shortsighted. Like criticizing Sony for not giving rewards on exploits..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte