'Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus' For Nintendo Switch Release Date Announced

wolfenstein-ii.jpg

The Nintendo-Bethesda partnership is on a roll with the publisher's biggest titles hitting the handheld-console hybrid. The latest among these is Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus which now has a release date! For the announcement, a new trailer was released:

Take control of BJ Blazkowicz on the go starting June 29 on the Nintendo Switch!

:arrow: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Official GBAtemp Review

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The demo ran with REALLY noticiable frame drops... now even the trailer seems to have frame drops here and there, lmao.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I literally finished the game a few days ago on a ps4 pro and i can safely say that this specific game relies a lot on the visual quality for story telling, on top of a great fast paced shooting environment. I have not seen Doom in front of me but this particular game i would not like to play downgraded for any reason at all. It is too beautiful to play in a less powerful environment. Now what kind of magic they might be able to pull i don't know but let's see.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a demo?
* running to the eShop
No no, the one presented at a pax thingy not so long ago...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I literally finished the game a few days ago on a ps4 pro and i can safely say that this specific game relies a lot on the visual quality for story telling, on top of a great fast paced shooting environment. I have not seen Doom in front of me but this particular game i would not like to play downgraded for any reason at all. It is too beautiful to play in a less powerful environment. Now what kind of magic they might be able to pull i don't know but let's see.
Just cut at half the frame rate (not even locked and with more drops), reduce heavily the resolution, texture quality and certaing game assets (particle effects, terrain geometry and polygons) and done, here you have the "magic" they pulled off.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just cut at half the frame rate (not even locked and with more drops), reduce heavily the resolution, texture quality and certaing game assets (particle effects, terrain geometry and polygons) and done, here you have the "magic" they pulled off.
How quickly people start bitching about something that's only existed for a year (console games on a portable). Technology is not literally magic, so your expectations are clearly very ridiculous, but I'm sure you're aware of that. It's like complaining about PS4 because it's a huge graphical downgrade from a full tower PC with a GTX 1080Ti. This is stuff we already knew. High-end gaming machines don't cost $300 or less, and that applies across the board.

Last edited by Xzi,

Jackson Ferrell

I don't like SJWs
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You'll never know if you'll like it until you've tried it

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neato! Glad to see some love from 3rd parties. Especially from Bethesda. The ports come first, and after a few years, we'll start seeing original games or concurrent releases. Keep 'em coming.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
careful to reply to him, he will say you are harrassing him and menace to report you lol.
He isnt because he has never stated stuff that i have never said to probe his point, unlike certain other dude :P
How quickly people start bitching about something that's only existed for a year (console games on a portable). Technology is not literally magic, so your expectations are clearly very ridiculous, but I'm sure you're aware of that. It's like complaining about PS4 because it's a huge graphical downgrade from a full tower PC with a GTX 1080Ti. This is stuff we already knew. High-end gaming machines don't cost $300 or less, and that applies across the board.
More than bitching, im actually kind of pissed for the frame rate issue. I would gladly accept a more downgraded port if that means a more concistent frame rate :unsure:

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country

That's exactly what PC gamers think about the PS4 version you played.
The fact that the Switch version will be on a small screen most of the time means it will be hard to see any downgraded effects

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
That's exactly what PC gamers think about the PS4 version you played.
The fact that the Switch version will be on a small screen most of the time means it will be hard to see any downgraded effects

Yes, but the PC is not a valid gaming platform for me for a number of reasons, from hideous looking and big pc cases (cheap ones) that do not belong to the living room, or extremely expensive good ones that 'might' belong to a living room, pricey hardware and literally my preference playing on a sofa in a living room rather on my workstation and office chair, plus mobility of the console itself.. There is no way you can build a pc as powerful and as silent and mobile as the Xox for the same amount of money. Let's not even go there.

I simply prefer my gaming on a console for a variety of reasons and my statement goes beyond the multiplats that appear on PC. Wolfenstein does, but not all of them do. Also, the jump between the ps4 pro/xox and a pc would not be that big (for me) vs the change from the ps4 pro/xox to the switch. If you only care about a portable mode then it might be fine, but hooking it up to a 55", nope. Don't forget it is going to be more expensive too.

You'll never know if you'll like it until you've tried it

And i said the same closing my comment but there is a gamble that i am going to like it or not and the price is gonna be higher too. Guys, nintendo going with lesser hardware meant this thing all along. I am fine with their choice but i am going to choose the option that makes more sense to me. Now if you ask me to spend half the money and get a better version... guess what i would do.

There is a big difference comparing 2 machines of the same architecture yet lesser power and a completely new architecture that is mobile intended. Yes, the ps4/xbox will never be as powerful as the most powerful pc but they never meant to be that. They were meant to be a very good option for playing new/current gen games in a very good compromise. You also have to think of a pc when the ps4/xbox one came out and what the performance of a $400 pc was then compared to them. A console is a 'fixed' platform and as such, while prices drop for pc components, the same is not applicable to consoles, as they are not upgradeable. The switch goes in the opposite way, expecting devs to take the plunge and port the unportable. I really expected Nintendo to have 2 consoles this time around again, one that can compete at the same or better level with the ps4/xbox and a portable one. Hell, they could even be compatible so it is the same cartridge, just playing different at the 'home' switch and portable switch. Then people like me who do not care about playing in portable mode would just get the home console instead, essentially exchanging the cost of the screen, joycons and dock, with better hardware and a pro controller.

Guess which version of DS3 or Wolfenstein i would get if the fidelity and price was the same between the Ps4,Xbox and Switch at home?

It is not really bitching. People 'expect' stuff from companies, especially companies they love and follow around. It's called expectations. Nintendo might feel they do the best for them, but that is not necessarily the best for me.

Reactions: DeslotlCL

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
The fact that the Switch version will be on a small screen most of the time
are you just assuming how switch users use their console??
maybe you use it mostly as a handheld, but I'm pretty sure you can't just assume that. and if that were the case then is even worse for the switch because the performance of most games is even poorer than docked with even more washed out visuals and just enough framerate to be playable.

If I had a switch I would play it docked most of the time unless I can't use the tv.

and before you start throwing rocks at me for being a non believer. I find the concept of the switch interesting, having a console that doubles as a handheld is a neat idea, but nintendo was too hasty and ended up with a product that fails as a console with limited power and as a handheld with short battery life.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
are you just assuming how switch users use their console??
maybe you use it mostly as a handheld, but I'm pretty sure you can't just assume that. and if that were the case then is even worse for the switch because the performance of most games is even poorer than docked with even more washed out visuals and just enough framerate to be playable.

If I had a switch I would play it docked most of the time unless I can't use the tv.

and before you start throwing rocks at me for being a non believer. I find the concept of the switch interesting, having a console that doubles as a handheld is a neat idea, but nintendo was too hasty and ended up with a product that fails as a console with limited power and as a handheld with short battery life.

He said he already had it on PS4 so wouldn't want the Switch version with downgraded graphics.
My assumption was based on someone who already has it on the PS4 so the only reason to buy it again on switch would be for portable play, on the small screen

No rocks thrown ;)

Reactions: Sakitoshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)