Wode Vs CIOS

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Zetta_x, Aug 21, 2010.

Aug 21, 2010

Wode Vs CIOS by Zetta_x at 6:55 PM (1,150 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Zetta_x
    OP

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Does anyone know the comparison between the loading speeds of using a WODE and a CIOS using base 57/56?

Thanks in advance,
    Z

2. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
  3. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually, from the link above, the WODE reads from USB HDD/Flash at 8X read (11080 KB/sec) or around 10-15 MBps depending on average read times... Which makes sense as it emulates the Wii DVD drive that has a read speed of 8x.

CIOS with USB2 speed tops out at 480Mbps raw... effective rate is 40MBps or 320Mbps.

So CIOS should be faster... in theory. I've never tried WODE, so I can't say from practice.

Sources:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvd#dvdspeeds
    http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm#4

Edit: if USB2 is not used in the CIOS (which I think they all do use USB2), USB1 speed is around 12MBps, so would be more equivalent with WODE load times.
    Edit2: if you are playing using backups on dvdr, both read at 3x, so same speed there.

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Nope 6x

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i just did i pepsi challenge with WODE & cIOS249v20. im using a FAT HDD. the wode takes longer to initialize the drive - about 10 seconds from the time the wii is turned on till i can select any game from any HDD. usb loaders init my HDD in the first second. but they only support 1 HDD.

to test the actually speed, i wrote a test program that just opened a game and read random data from "random" spots in the disc. but it used the same random spots in all tests. i only did the test 1 time, so it is not by any means definitive. there is like a 3% increase in speed using cIOS. basically that is small enough that you wouldnt notice it while playing a game. you may have time to scratch your ass 1 more time in between levels.

6. Zetta_x
    OP

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Thanks Giantpune for the data. While it was only one test, I am pretty sure the variance of seconds is relatively small given the consistency of a machine.