Hacking With the New OS 1.1 Update..

ambitous21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets have a thread for new results- including game compatibility and new changes.

well since i dont have it yet
could someone list the changes in bulletpoint form?

also what problems are left after updating this OS? any games still lagging, not running fine?

and does animal crossing still lag
shy.gif

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's ok I wanna know about Animal Crossing too, ambitious.

Unfortunately I was only able to test it briefly with my plain vanilla Sandisk 1GB. It came up with only a "5" score! Needless to say, when I tried the auto SD speed detect, it was not rated fast enough. We have an UltraII in the house, but its in my kid's DS and he was very budy with his DS tonight. I'll try to give it a shot tomorrow.

My problem with the SCDS1 at this point is that, like every other Slot1 AFAIK besides the DS-X (which I am NOT tempted to buy), it falls short of the last-gen Slot2 cards. At least, so far that seems to be the case. My SCLite takes that same plain old Sandisk 1GB and plays anything and everything I'd ever care to play at 99.999% real speed, without all the hassles. I just hope SCteam keeps supporting it, just like I hope they figure out how to squeeze some proper performance out of the SCDS1.

One more thing ... this is being called a firmware update, but isn't the real firmware unaffected by this update? The moonshell based GUI is the OS, but surely there's a "BIOS" on the card itself ... hopefully there's a procedure in place for flashing it, cuz I suspect that's where the real improvements are hiding.

sarah99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this is being called a firmware update, but isn't the real firmware unaffected by this update?

Who's calling it a firmware update then?

Talking about firmware
Just a random thought but nearly all the slot 1 cards are designed around the Actel ProAsic 3 FPGA chip, it should be dead easy to flash this chip and a little trojan put in the front of a .nds file could brick the lot of them in one go. A very tempting idea for some, I can't be the first to think of it.

Aerquos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Albania
this is being called a firmware update, but isn't the real firmware unaffected by this update?

Who's calling it a firmware update then?

Talking about firmware
Just a random thought but nearly all the slot 1 cards are designed around the Actel ProAsic 3 FPGA chip, it should be dead easy to flash this chip and a little trojan put in the front of a .nds file could brick the lot of them in one go. A very tempting idea for some, I can't be the first to think of it.

The EZ Flash V, Supercard DS, Ninjapass X9, and N-Card all use that same Actel chip. Hey has anyone found out what the battery in the Supercard DS does? It seems like the only major difference the Supercard has with the X9. Also can anyone confirm that ACWW works flawlessly now?

lezombi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured this would be an appropriate place to post these questions. I haven't recieved my Supercard DS yet, but I wanted to be all prepared when it comes in the mail. Is it basically safe to use the 1.1 OS. I don't want to get this SC and end up destroying my DS Lite in the process. And also, how does organizing the microSD card go. Can I just put a folder called "games" or "roms in the root of the card and add stuff in there or do I need to put the folder in the "scshell" folder or do I not need a folder at all. I just want to keep everything organized. I would imagine putting a folder in the root would be perfectly fine, but I just want to double check

Aerquos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Albania
I figured this would be an appropriate place to post these questions. I haven't recieved my Supercard DS yet, but I wanted to be all prepared when it comes in the mail. Is it basically safe to use the 1.1 OS. I don't want to get this SC and end up destroying my DS Lite in the process. And also, how does organizing the microSD card go. Can I just put a folder called "games" or "roms in the root of the card and add stuff in there or do I need to put the folder in the "scshell" folder or do I not need a folder at all. I just want to keep everything organized. I would imagine putting a folder in the root would be perfectly fine, but I just want to double check
If everything is similar to the slot 2 Supercards you can create folders in the root on the flash media to organize everything. I usually have a Games folder and then individual game folders that hold the .nds and .sav files together. Updating the firmware should be a .bin file that you put on the microsd and then run to update and then delete it once it finishes. The only thing you would need to drag into the shell folder is your skins and the updated Save Size database. And I’m pretty sure if there is something wrong that happens during the updating it would only brick the Supercard on the DS Lite unless the firmware update had some code that would purposely rewrite the DS’s firmware. So, it is recommended that people run files on their flashcard that are from “trusted” sites. Funny, most rom sites are pretty shady.

Mystic-Homer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Even with the 1.1 update, I'm still getting some random glitches/crashes in games...

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and FIFA 07, among a few others.

Tokas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

akura

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just got my SCDS today. Using a Kingston 1gb Japan microsd.

I admit I'm completely new to all this stuff but I just can't seem to get anything to run. I put the v1.1 loader on the sd card and have been trying various games with little sucess.

Auto detect puts my card at 30x speed.

BrainAge was working for a little until it tried to save after a training exercise. MPH played the movie before the single player mode and then froze. And a bunch of other games just won't load. All this makes me sad.

frown.gif

skfields01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still not convinced that the 1.1 is an official release. It is almost a week old and the Supercard site still doesn't have it up. That seems a bit weird... don't you think?

ssgg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't had any problems with v1.1, personally I think it is an improvement.

I use both toshiba and kingston (japan) 1GB cards.

If there r any games I could test for you. Just let me know here.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my SCDS today. Using a Kingston 1gb Japan microsd.

I admit I'm completely new to all this stuff but I just can't seem to get anything to run. I put the v1.1 loader on the sd card and have been trying various games with little sucess.

Auto detect puts my card at 30x speed.

BrainAge was working for a little until it tried to save after a training exercise. MPH played the movie before the single player mode and then froze. And a bunch of other games just won't load. All this makes me sad.

frown.gif

the auto detect is not accurate IMHO. It rated the speed of my Sandisk Ultra II as "5" on a scale of 1 to 32 !!! Now, I'm aware that the SCDS is not getting along too well with Sandisk cards, but 5?? Anyway, I copied the 1.1 firmware over fresh, and then went into global.ini and changed the speed value to 25, which is a midpoint between 3x and 4x. This added a new line item to the list under the speed selector in the SD Speed menu. (Actually, it might have been there as "other" even before I edited global.ini. I didn't check first.) It said "other -26" or something like that, and when I selected it I could go up and down the speed scale from 1 to 32. If I went too high (in my case, 30) most games stopped running. Some games stopped running even before that. The sweet spot was 26.

Then I reformatted my card with 64k clusters (use Run -> diskmgmt.msc) and I was able to go up to 4x for all games (this is equivalent to a manual setting of 28)

Once you find the right setting, don't forget to save the menu setting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time...