Witcher 3 Dev: Free DLC should be a norm, not the exception

evolve-dlc-640x365.jpg

The Witcher 3 just wrapped up its latest free DLC addition to the campaign, adding new missions along with a new game plus mode. Overall, The Witcher 3 has seen 16 free DLC additions since its launch earlier this year, from cosmetic additions, to further gameplay extensions.

When asked about the offered DLC, Marcin Iwinski, CD Projekt Red co-founder and CEO, had this to say:

"I'd like to extend my thanks to all the gamers who played our game and gave these DLCs a try. Nothing makes a developer happier than seeing gamers have fun with what they created."

"I would really like to see such initiatives become an industry standard rather than an exception to the general rule, and I hope that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has set a good example."

:arrow: SOURCE

This isn't to say that paid DLC will not come to the game at a later date, but Iwinski insists that the additions will offer over 30 hours of new gameplay and continue to expand the overall story of the huge meta that is The Witcher 3.

In most cases with games like Evolve or Call of Duty, these small additions would be paid addons in the form of micro-transactions. Microtransactions have become a growing controversy in the industry over time and seeing some developers shed light in the controversy is refreshing.

How do you feel about CD Project Red's stance on DLC?

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Good on them for the free DLC packs, iv still not finished the CD content yet but the NG+ is certainly a feature i will be taking full advantage of. I can understand that some DLC that adds new quests or full character costing a few $/£ (Assuming it was not cut from the original game content) but stuff like alternate costumes have no place having price tags. We have a few in witcher 3 and they are great but if it was another game, you would be paying like $3 or £2 for a COSTUME. Its ridiculous and i certainly hope they have set a trend for other companies to follow.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nah I don't think DLC should be always free.
But let's stop this pre-order, on disc, day one DLC that you have to pay extra for. Any DLC coming and being developed after the game is out I'll gladly pay money for.
Unless we talk about Destiny.

Reactions: wallacepower

wallacepower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nah I don't think DLC should be always free.
But let's stop this pre-order, on disc, day one DLC that you have to pay extra for. Any DLC coming and being developed after the game is out I'll gladly pay money for.
Unless we talk about Destiny.
The witcher 3 has paid dlc and they are to be as big as witcher 2 in content.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly I can't see the likes of Activision reading this and thinking 'fukkin hell they're right!'....mainly because the average Call of Duty moron has no qualms buying the stuff. My kid bro (shouldn't be saying that, he's 35 now...) is one such individual, and is quite happy to spend over £100 per CoD iteration, and won't bother playing anything else - so as long as cretins like my kid bro exist, we'll continue having micro transactions...

As for day one DLC:
burger.jpg
Pretty much sums that one up...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never had any problem with Day 1 DLC or on-disc DLC, mostly because I understand what a license is. You don't own games or the content that's on your discs or cartridges - its use is licensed to you under certain conditions. On-disc DLC accomplishes one thing - saves my bandwidth. As a user I get access to a crafted whole of a game and I have to pay to unlock additional features, it's been like this even before downloadable content, especially on PC where often times to unlock the full potential of a program you had to buy a code - it would be sent to you by post and upon entering it your utility would be "magically" upgraded to a Premium or Pro Edition with no downloads required. How? Because the features were all there, just locked behind a paywall. This is not a new concept, people.

Reactions: Megaben99

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never had any problem with Day 1 DLC or on-disc DLC, mostly because I understand what a license is. You don't own games or the content that's on your discs or cartridges - its use is licensed to you under certain conditions. On-disc DLC accomplishes one thing - saves my bandwidth. As a user I get access to a crafted whole of a game and I have to pay to unlock additional features, it's been like this even before downloadable content, especially on PC where often times to unlock the full potential of a program you had to buy a code - it would be sent to you by post and upon entering it your utility would be "magically" upgraded to premium with no downloads required. How? Because the features were all there, just locked behind a paywall. This is not a new concept, people.
Yeah and it works great on Freeware/Trial Versions. On 60$/70€ Products not so much.
Technically the Stirder Reboot Trial version is the full game and buying the full version a DLC. And it works, you don't have to do a demo, people get to try out for free and if they like it they buy the 34kb file and can play in an instant. But if I spent 70€ on a game and directly on day one there are parts of the game locked away as DLC's I don't really see the appeal of it.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I never had any problem with Day 1 DLC or on-disc DLC, mostly because I understand what a license is. You don't own games or the content that's on your discs or cartridges - its use is licensed to you under certain conditions. On-disc DLC accomplishes one thing - saves my bandwidth. As a user I get access to a crafted whole of a game and I have to pay to unlock additional features, it's been like this even before downloadable content, especially on PC where often times to unlock the full potential of a program you had to buy a code - it would be sent to you by post and upon entering it your utility would be "magically" upgraded to a Premium or Pro Edition with no downloads required. How? Because the features were all there, just locked behind a paywall. This is not a new concept, people.
If it's on disc DLC then it's not really DLC but just Unlockable Content.

Well, one could say that DLC stands for Disc Locked Content which makes sense.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah and it works great on Freeware/Trial Versions. On 60$/70€ Products not so much. Technically the Stirder Reboot Trial version is the full game and buying the full version a DLC. And it works, you don't have to do a demo, people get to try out for free and if they like it they buy the 34kb file and can play in an instant. But if I spent 70€ on a game and directly on day one there are parts of the game locked away as DLC's I don't really see the appeal of it.
I don't see how offering expansions on Day 1 is bad - if you like the game, you can choose to buy more content for it, but nobody forces you to do so.
If it's on disc DLC then it's not really DLC but just Unlockable Content.

Well, one could say that DLC stands for Disc Locked Content which makes sense.
To be fair, I never liked the term "DLC", I feel "Expansion" is a far better name for what is offered.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how offering expansions on Day 1 is bad - if you like the game, you can choose to buy more content for it, but nobody forces you to do so.
It really depends on the game. Its definitely fair on some games, but other have locked out rather important content before

Reactions: mightymuffy

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm talking about On-disc DLC right now not Day 1 DLC. There is a clear distinction between the two.
On Disc DLC was built together with the main game but was left out of the game because they would rather sell it as DLC but it's still on the disc.
Day One DLC are often not part of the main game and are being developed in the final stages of development of the game, mostly while the coding and asset team has nothing else to do and they would have to be moved to an other project otherwise.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm talking about On-disc DLC right now not Day 1 DLC. There is a clear distinction between the two.
On Disc DLC was built together with the main game but was left out of the game because they would rather sell it as DLC but it's still on the disc.
Day One DLC are often not part of the main game and are being developed in the final stages of development of the game, mostly while the coding and asset team has nothing else to do and they would have to be moved to an other project otherwise.
Again, the only difference is that on-disc content saves me bandwidth. I don't really care where the expansion is, I choose whether to unlock it or not, see the example of serial codes of the olden days above. If I want access to that additional content, its source doesn't concern me, only its quality does. As long as it's an actual optional expansion and not a clearly missing part of the game, I don't see the issue. Again, you don't own content, you only own a piece of plastic. Another example could be Windows installation discs - they have the complete system on them, but only the modules relevant to your edition of the serial are installed. Accessing the rest is as trivial as changing one config file and getting a serial for a different version, at least as far as I know.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Again, the only difference is that on-disc content saves me bandwidth. I don't really care where the expansion is, I choose whether to unlock it or not, see the example of serial codes of the olden days above. If I want access to that additional content, its source doesn't concern me, only its quality does. As long as it's an actual optional expansion and not a clearly missing part of the game, I don't see the issue. Again, you don't own content, you only own a piece of plastic. Another example could be Windows installation discs - they have the complete system on them, but only the modules relevant to your edition of the serial are installed. Accessing the rest is as trivial as changing one config file and getting a serial for a different version, at least as far as I know.
Technically, you are completely right. I don't think the problem with on-disc DLC is a rational issue. Instead, it's an emotional issue that has to do with people paying a lot of hard-earned money and then finding out the experience they got wasn't as complete as they'd like it to be.

Consider a game being released in the N64/PlayStation or PS2/GC/Xbox generation. It would probably be loaded with free neat extras, like extra costumes, bonus stages, etc. At the same time, PC games of that era received updates that made the game run better, added some extra options, etc.

In modern games, the neat content that is created may very well be sold as DLC instead. That is, the content is done, but the developer chooses to sell it instead of giving it away for free. Considering 60/70 dollars/euros is a lot of money, I understand why this annoys people. Other people will even get annoyed at small DLC being sold when it's released after the game has been released, simply because they're used to getting it for free through free content updates.

Some of these views come down to entitlement. At the same time, there is a tendency of publishers to more and more nickel and dime customers that already pay a big sum of money for a game. I think there will always be extremes of the spectrum (The Witcher 3 and Left 4 Dead 2 on one side, Batman: Arkham Knight and Dead Space 3 on the other). Everyone should simply decide which DLC they're okay with, and support that content with their wallet while "boycotting" the other stuff.

To conclude, I think you're right: having DLC already on the disc can only be good for customers, since it saves downloading extra stuff. It's not this practice that gamers take issue with; instead, it's a sign of greedy business practises they don't agree with.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Free DLC should also be actual new downloadable content, not content you already made, singled it out, and then touted it as additional stuff you're giving out for free to get that sweet positive rep.

While overall CDPR has a better policy than most AAA, they themselves are exploiting the public's misconceptions of "DLC", it's not entirely genuine. It's evident with the day-one release of the free DLC waves. At the end of the day it's just their view on marketing strategy, much like say, ubisoft.

I mean, what the hell is the point of day one free DLC? Why not just include it in the base game? They factually made at least some of the stuff before release, so they cut it out and released as "additional content". They announced specific details about their free DLC plan 18 months before release - it wasn't like a last-week surprise change, I just checked the news post on their site. Doesn't that just come out as trying too hard to everyone else? That is artificially adding value to your product from thin air by going through a hoop.

It feels like people are accepting to be bullshit to just because the content is free - my personal problem is publishers bullshitting in the first place; "paid" or "free" is another issue that is about determining the worth of the content itself.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Free DLC should also be actual new downloadable content, not content you already made, singled it out, and then touted it as additional stuff you're giving out for free to get that sweet positive rep.

While overall CDPR has a better policy than most AAA, they themselves are exploiting the public's misconceptions of "DLC", it's not entirely genuine. It's evident with the day-one release of the free DLC waves. At the end of the day it's just their view on marketing strategy, much like say, ubisoft.

I mean, what the hell is the point of day one free DLC? Why not just include it in the base game? They factually made at least some of the stuff before release, so they cut it out and released as "additional content". They announced specific details about their free DLC plan 18 months before release - it wasn't like a last-week surprise change, I just checked the news post on their site. Doesn't that just come out as trying too hard to everyone else? That is artificially adding value to your product from thin air by going through a hoop.

It feels like people are accepting to be bullshit to just because the content is free - my personal problem is publishers bullshitting in the first place; "paid" or "free" is another issue that is about determining the worth of the content itself.
Planned doesn't mean pre-existing. You have to consider that weeks or even months could pass between a game reaching Gold status (complete and ready for release) and actual distribution. First you have to distribute copies to the rating boards across all continents, once rated you have to press the discs and box them, send some to reviewers for media coverage, launch the advertising campaign, send out shipments of the game to warehouses across the globe, distribute the stock from the warehouses to stores and then finally proceed with the launch. All this time can be used for creating Day 1 DLC which couldn't possibly be included on-disc because the on-disc game was already Gold and waiting to be pressed.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I agree that free DLC is great and that a lot of companies rip us off by charging a lot for DLC. However, when the value is worth it I don't mind having to pay. Mario Kart 8 has awesome DLC that adds 16 tracks and 6 new characters. In addition, they add more material with almost every game update for free. That is how you do it.

Fantasy Life had on disc DLC (on cartridge?) yet the DLC added the entire Origin Island plot (several hours), doubled the level cap on almost everything, allowed you to reach new ranks, created another tier of endgame items, raised NPC intelligence, and essentially doubled the amount of content in the game.

DLCs like that I have no issue paying for. DLCs where you pay out a lot of money for not a whole lot of content I have issue with. At least Amiibos are cute, but they often are an example of the kind of DLC I don't like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot...